C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Keys & Fobs Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Hillel
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Keys & Fobs Stolen

I had both sets of keys & key Fobs stolen for my '02 which is locked and stored in my garage.

The dealer requires I have it towed to them, so they can open the car, rekey the ignition only and reprogram the security system to the tune of $250 plus $260 for new key fobs.

I found key fobs on the net for $50 each, along with instructions how to program them, of course this still gives the thief access to the interior of my car.

I also ordered a used igntion assembly from an '01 with a chip key, but am wondering if I will still need to have my car's BCM reprogrammed to accept the resistor ohms of the key that comes with the assembly.

I would appreciate some insight into this conundrum.

And if the answer is yes to reprograming, does anyone know of a less expensive method than flatbedding the car to the dealer for their $$$ service, without my having to bypass & fooling the security sytem by splicing a resistor into the line?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Hillel
Cruising

Thank you so much 8VETTE7, You just offered solutions to all 4 problems stemming from this loss and supplied procedures and the key chart to boot. Bless You! I am both blown away and ecstatic at the same time.

I am anxious now to see if the dealer will agree to cut me a key based on the vin # that will merely open the car door. He had previously said he could not, but he must have been referring to the resistor ohms not being disclosed by the vin #.

I will write again when I am back on the road.

Thank you again, Hillel
Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillel
Thank you so much 8VETTE7, You just offered solutions to all 4 problems stemming from this loss and supplied procedures and the key chart to boot. Bless You! I am both blown away and ecstatic at the same time.

I am anxious now to see if the dealer will agree to cut me a key based on the vin # that will merely open the car door. He had previously said he could not, but he must have been referring to the resistor ohms not being disclosed by the vin #.

Thank you again, Hillel
Nice input from you, 8Vette7. I can feel Hillel's relief!!
I just ordered a Code XX OEM Chevrolet Corvette blank key on ebay for 17 bucks. Will have it cut and keep it in a separate safe storage. Plain GM key would have been less. Used my new multimeter and new found knowledge to check chip resistance. Both originals read exactly the same which surprised me a bit, as there is, as you know, a slight range of ohms acceptable.
Dave
Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillel

Thank you again, Hillel
Your dealer shouldn't have a problem cutting you a key that will open and start your vehicle. All he should need is proof of ownership and have your insurance company fax them a copy of your policy. If they balk, go find another GM dealer or locksmith.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Hillel
Cruising

I recall a bumper sticker: "STUPIDITY SHOULD BE PAINFUL"
I can attest to the fact that it is painful and costly too!
Hind sight being 20/20, I should have simply hidden my second set of keys for my Vette somewhere in my house instead of keeping them in a sack with the 1st set of key, which also contained my Wallet & ID. I am paying dearly for that mistake now.

I called a different Chevy dealer to find out what was required to have them cut me a new key, which another dealer claimed could not be done without having the car towed to the dealership.

This dealer said they needed;
$30 for the key blank
$25 to call GM to obtain the specs
$10 to do the cut

In addition to the $65 they need to see my vehicle registration & my driver's license. I told them I had the current registration but that my license was amongst the things stolen. He checked with the manager and said sorry he could not help me until I get a new license in approx. 2 weeks.

But maybe that is a blessing cause now I can save $65 when I find a new way to get into my locked car and change all the locks & key fobs. I will buy the replacement ignition cylinder and new keys off of Ebay instead of Chevy.

As they say, nothing really worth it ever comes easy and Sh-- Happens.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Bluesteve1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost my keys about a month ago. I paid my Chevy dealer $6 to give the mthe key cut code and i took it to a key shop and they cut me a key for about $40.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Hillel
Cruising

Yes, I thought of that Chuck, although the windows are sealed pretty tight to the molding. I was thinking of calling AAA to see if they can open the car for me without damaging it. If not, then I will have the Stealership either sell me the GM code for the key, or have them make me a key after I get a replacement license.

A locksmith just told me that in all his years of experience he never heard of a Dealership charging a car owner for key code information about his own car. I guess he never dealt with Chevy. Wonder if they just sock it to Vette owners cause they think we are rich.

He said he could pick the lock to get in the vehicle and rekey the 3 cylnders for $300 or $150 for just the doors.

When I get the used ignition cylinder and key, I am just going to have him make me a copy for $20. When I retire, maybe I should go into business as a locksmith.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:06 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

My dealer gave the code for my ignition key for free in a couple of minutes. It's not a very big deal for a dealer not trying to rip you off.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:45 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Not to hijack, just FYI, but Home Depot sells and programs all kinds of electronic keys for many brands...WAY cheaper than a dealer...
Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Hillel
Cruising

Thanks for all the comments. I am all ears for the least costly way to be able to securely get back on the road. The dealerships and locksmiths in my area looking to bank off of my misfortune,
What goes around comes around fellas.
but I believe I can avoid them, as I GET BY WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY VETTE FRIENDS!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:33 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Can you shake the crap out of your car to unlock the doors? It's always in the C5 tips and tricks but I've never tried it.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Can you shake the crap out of your car to unlock the doors? It's always in the C5 tips and tricks but I've never tried it.
Good suggestion but,

Only chance of this working would be on a 97-00 C5 with the "passive" key fob capability. The fob would have to be in/or in the general area of the vehicle with the passive feature "on".

The OP's car is a 2002 that does not have this feature, and both fobs are missing.

One day I'm going to find out if this works on my 98.

Last edited by MAC5; 12-11-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:42 AM
fuel-guy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do the 02s have ONSTAR? they could unlock it for you...can't they?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You can do most of this yourself.

First thing is opening the car. Without a key or FOB for the key, I'm not sure how to do that.

One solution is to have a dealer cut you a new key from the VIN. They DO HAVE the ability to do that.

Then with the key you can open the car.

Easy from there on. Get a new ignition cylinder and key. It will have a different pattern and most likely different resistor value (there are 15 different ones) Install the cylinder and then go about a BCM-PCM relearn process. It is below. Once that is done the car will start just fine. The only remaining issue is the other locks (door, console etc) will not be able to be opened with the new key. You can use the key you had the dealer cut or take it to a hardware store and have the a new NON-Resistor key cut so you can tell it from the new ignition key. You may also be able to take the cylinders for the other locks to a lock smith and have then changed to match the cut of the new key.

You will need to reprogram the new FOB's but the procedure is in the owners manual. It will replace the old FOB's so they cannot be used.

Last thing is get a second key to match the resistor value of the new key and have it cut to match your new one. Ebay is the least expensive place for another key. Measure the resistance of your new key and order the correct one.

BCM/PCM RELEARN PROCEDURE

You will need to conduct the PCM/BCM relearn process. This matches their handshake ID's and allows them to talk to each other.

Do this before you worry about VATS issues:

1. Turn on the key for 11 minutes.
2 Turn off the key for 30 seconds.
3. Repeat 1&2 two more times.
4. Turn on the key for 30 seconds.

The car should start and run with the new BCM.

This will sync the PCM to the New BCM

Once the BCM and PCM are sync'ed up you can start and drive the car.

Chart with key resistor values:

Thank You 8VETTE7 for always taking your time to post detailed and helpful instructions for those in need. I can't imagine how much time and money you have saved us over the years. Cheers!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:26 AM
Hillel
Cruising

I am happy to be able to report that all the advice I was given on the Forum worked and I am back on the road living my fantasy once again.

AAA was able to open my Vette in less than 2 minutes. I was able to remove my old ignition cylinder and swtich and install the new/used one. I was able to retrain the computer to recognize the new key and then the Fob and I am cruising around again in American Sports Car style with a huge smile on my face.

A huge THANK YOU to all my new Vette Friends.

Get notified of new replies

To All Keys & Fobs Stolen

Quick Reply: All Keys & Fobs Stolen