C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:25 PM
xzo124
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans cooler

Is there a go to Trans cooler out there ??...xzo
Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Assume you have a Auto Trans? there are Universal kits like B&M Sooper cooler kits. you can custom install how you want. there are also Coolers built into a radiator like DeWitts offers.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Hayden 405, works like a charm.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:56 AM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dcollins3208
I bought a Hayden 405, works like a charm.
I know this is off topic, but i am just sneaking around trying to find a reason for this.
What could be causing my 97 auto trans., to not shift into od until the fluid is goodnhot?
After about 10-15 miles, it shifts on out, and @ around 60mph, the rpm's drop from 1600 down to 1300.
Could it mean i need to change the fluid? Or not?
Thanks
Old 01-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Sounds like your fluid is low. Any codes?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:02 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

I looked but never found a kit specific to the C5.

I fabricated the attachment of the cooler using 1/2" hot rolled steel angle and cantilevered the cooler off of the bottom 1" square skid bar. The cooler is a Summit Racing brand 7" hi x 18" long x 1-1/2" thick cooler with hose barbs (overall dimensions). The attaching angles hold the cooler 1/2" clear of the condenser. They were a pain to get formed to the correct shape to do this.

An alternative is to use the through the radiator and condenser plastic holders that often come with a cooler, but I think you would have to temporarily remove the fan housing to do that. Someone else may have a better idea.

The above cooler is combined with a Derale fluid thermostat that directs fluid from the radiator cooler back to the transmission until the fluid gets to 180 degrees, then through the auxiliary cooler. Works well on a road course track to keep the A4 trans cool.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:35 PM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dcollins3208
Sounds like your fluid is low. Any codes?
No codes.
But i will tell you this.
I posted a thread long ago, trying to get an answer about if i should change the fluid or not, but no one seemed to know for sure.
My Vette mechanic said i should, and the Chevy Dealer said they wouldn't recommend it, since it has 190k miles on it.
Who do I trust here?
I haven't had a problem with it, except for this od issue now, so I personally was a little scared to mess with it since it was working fine. The last thing i wanted to do was cause another problem.
Anyway, Do you say I need to have it changed?
Could that be the cause?
I bought it at 170k and not sure when it was last changed?
Thanks for taken the time to help me out here!
Chris

Last edited by scottsphoto2; 01-11-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:08 PM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottsphoto2
No codes.
But i will tell you this.
I posted a thread long ago, trying to get an answer about if i should change the fluid or not, but no one seemed to know for sure.
My Vette mechanic said i should, and the Chevy Dealer said they wouldn't recommend it, since it has 190k miles on it.
Who do I trust here?
I haven't had a problem with it, except for this od issue now, so I personally was a little scared to mess with it since it was working fine. The last thing i wanted to do was cause another problem.
Anyway, Do you say I need to have it changed?
Could that be the cause?
I bought it at 170k and not sure when it was last changed?
Thanks for taken the time to help me out here!
Chris
I forgot this.
I guess i have been told more times than not, that with this many miles, they would not do a flush, but would just drop the pan and change the filter.
Do you agree with that?
But don't tell the local Vette mech that, because he still says it needs to be flushed!
I guess i need to ask him if he does the flush, and it starts giving me big problems, if he is going to pay for it, huh?

Anyway, thanks again for your time!

Get notified of new replies

To Trans cooler

Quick Reply: Trans cooler