C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 C5 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:56 AM
JHDill
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 C5 6 speed

I am having trouble shifting from 4th to 5th gear. I thought I was going past 6 to reverse because I was getting some gear clash. I have been told three things: 1. It could be the reverse lockout solenoid is not getting power. 2. The spring that is part of the reverse lockout may be bad. 3. It may not be reverse I am hitting and it may be the syncro for 5th gear and it is really the 5th gear that is clashing. If anyone has run into this and has some solutions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JHDill 12-24-2013
Old 12-24-2013, 11:27 AM
garllo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '04 is an automatic but before that I had a '98 coupe , 6 speed ,and I ran into the EXACT condition. I thought it was something that I was doing , and all of what you are thinking. After some research , it seemed more and more like a shifter alignment issue so I went through the procedure of aligning the shifter and it shifted perfectly after that. Check this video.
Hope it helps!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The very first thing that I would is change out the thansmission fluid. I would replace the DINO ATF with some new fresh AMSOIL Torque Drive ATF! Any new ATF will do but, you have the ability to up-grade to a good synthetic ATF. It takes 4 quarts. All you will be able to remove and replace is 3.75 qts.

Its a simple solution and if you dont have any actual mechanical damage, it may very well solve your issue. I had some minor gear clash when shifting from 4th to 5th in my 98 C5 Coupe.. Just changing the NASTY ATF, resolved the issue. Hell,, its a very inexpensive possible solution. Give it a try.

IF,,,,,,,,, you have any actual mechanical damage inside the trans, the fluid change will not resolve the issue.

Bill
Old 12-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Speaking of SHIFTER ADJUSTMENTS,, carefully examine the two rubber bushings that isolates the shifter from the torque tube. If they are seriously deteoriated and soft, they can and will cause shifter / shifting issues.

One of the Forum Vendoes sells a up-graded nylon replacement bushing that makes the shift feel a LOT better.

The shifter in the picture below is a C5 ZO6 shifter. Its the same as your OEM Stock shifter (EXCEPT) the C5ZO6 shifter is mounted with SOLID Aluminum bushings. Yours are rubber:

Bill
Old 12-24-2013, 11:50 AM
JHDill
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the quick reply. I am getting a lot of good ideas to try. Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:53 AM
JHDill
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The very first thing that I would is change out the thansmission fluid. I would replace the DINO ATF with some new fresh AMSOIL Torque Drive ATF! Any new ATF will do but, you have the ability to up-grade to a good synthetic ATF. It takes 4 quarts. All you will be able to remove and replace is 3.75 qts.

Its a simple solution and if you dont have any actual mechanical damage, it may very well solve your issue. I had some minor gear clash when shifting from 4th to 5th in my 98 C5 Coupe.. Just changing the NASTY ATF, resolved the issue. Hell,, its a very inexpensive possible solution. Give it a try.

IF,,,,,,,,, you have any actual mechanical damage inside the trans, the fluid change will not resolve the issue.

Bill
I will be sure to try this first and like you said it is an rather inexpensive solution if it works. Thanks, Jim
Old 12-24-2013, 12:55 PM
JHDill
Heel & Toe

Default 2003 C5 6 speed.

Originally Posted by garllo
My '04 is an automatic but before that I had a '98 coupe , 6 speed ,and I ran into the EXACT condition. I thought it was something that I was doing , and all of what you are thinking. After some research , it seemed more and more like a shifter alignment issue so I went through the procedure of aligning the shifter and it shifted perfectly after that. Check this video.
Hope it helps!
Corvette shifter adjustment video by froggy - YouTube
This is a great video. Thanks for the help. I will definitely try this.
Jim
Old 12-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Bill
I agree with Bill, a fluid change will make a world of difference, but I doubt it'll fix this particular issue.

I had this problem on my 2003 six speed as well, and the only solution was replacing the reverse lockout solenoid. 5th gear and reverse are really very close together, without that solenoid it is FAR too simple to hit R instead of 5.

Actually changing out the solenoid was amazingly easy, though. There's only 1 bolt you have to remove, and then the solenoid and the bracket it attaches to both come off the trans. Take that to your workbench to remove the solenoid from the bracket it's attached to, replace with your new solenoid (which will be of a slightly different and hopefully better design, as well) and replace. No fluid loss in this process either.

I *highly* recommend if you already are planning on putting the car in the air to change the fluid, you replace the solenoid as well. I paid $64.43 for mine after taxes and shipping from Amazon.

This thread describes the process: http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...-solenoid.html
Old 12-24-2013, 01:55 PM
JHDill
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the tip. I got the top about looking at the solenoid from MGW when I looked at their replacement shifter. I spoke to the person who designed the MGW told me it sounded like the reverse lockout solenoid was bad. He said I should not be able to hit reverse if the lockout is working properly. I think I will get the MGW shifter after I check out all the tips I am getting.
Thanks for you insight. Jim
Old 12-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JHDill
Thanks for the tip. I got the top about looking at the solenoid from MGW when I looked at their replacement shifter. I spoke to the person who designed the MGW told me it sounded like the reverse lockout solenoid was bad. He said I should not be able to hit reverse if the lockout is working properly. I think I will get the MGW shifter after I check out all the tips I am getting.
Thanks for you insight. Jim
He's absolutely right. In order to overcome the lockout solenoid, you have to start all the way on the left side of the H pattern, then force the stick all the way to the right and the momentum *should* overcome the solenoid. In normal operation, going more than about 5 MPH you shouldn't be able to hit reverse. The lockout is on the trans, so shifter realignment can't possibly fix it, only replacing the faulty solenoid will.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:33 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I am thinking that I read that it is possible to overcome the reverse lockout if you push hard enough, so that you can still get the car into reverse if the solenoid fails. I had the problem of over shifting into 5th with my spring loaded Hurst, but the problem went away when I changed to a shifter that did not have the extra loading.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YES.... It takes approx 25 lbs of force to push past the lock out gate.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:37 PM
dcandel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oldtimer

I had the same problem earlier this year. I could upshift from 4th to 5th to 6th, but couldn't downshift from 6th to 5th. Had to double clutch or shift from 6th to 4th and back up to 5th.

However as mysteriously as the problem started, it also went away without explanation. It's fine now. ???
Old 12-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dcandel
I had the same problem earlier this year. I could upshift from 4th to 5th to 6th, but couldn't downshift from 6th to 5th. Had to double clutch or shift from 6th to 4th and back up to 5th.

However as mysteriously as the problem started, it also went away without explanation. It's fine now. ???

IF ,, It were me,,, an it wasnt ever done, I would change the trans ATF fluid.. You will be surprised at the difference it makes in shift quality.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:17 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JHDill
I will be sure to try this first and like you said it is an rather inexpensive solution if it works. Thanks, Jim
I do think the fluid change is a simple and relatively inexpensive first step.

If you do decide to try the AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G) (same fluid I use in my 02 Z06 at the track), more than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 AM
JHDill
Heel & Toe

:
Originally Posted by C66 Racing
I do think the fluid change is a simple and relatively inexpensive first step.

If you do decide to try the AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G) (same fluid I use in my 02 Z06 at the track), more than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.
My big problem is I don't have anyway to change it myself. I am looking for someone I can use in my area to do work besides the dealer. Thanks for the tip I will be sure to use your suggestion if I find someone. If anyone knows someone that services Corvettes in the Lake Wales, FL, please let me know. Thanks again, Jim
Old 04-10-2014, 12:56 PM
uncle wilson
Instructor

realigned shifter on my c5!!having problems with reverse looking for lockout solenoid ! also c66 would like to replace my fluid tks do you accept paypal?

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 C5 6 speed

Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

I have the same problem right now. and with the help on the forum I have changed things. for mine it was grinding going into second and I bought new shifter bushing and then the problem moved to third and fourth gear. so I will align the shifter and see that. there is plenty of help on the forum and these guys right here are very helpful. keep us updated.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:05 PM
uncle wilson
Instructor

where did you find the shifter bushing?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 AM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

I got mine from corvettes of Houston since I live by there but the cheapest place is zip corvette.

Quick Reply: 2003 C5 6 speed