C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Tail Lights Problem...Need Help

Old 01-08-2014, 05:49 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Default LED Tail Lights Problem...Need Help

I have LED tail lights, sequencer harnesses, & hyperflash harness installed on my C5 ZO6. When I activate my left turn signal, the LED taillight in the outer left position kind of flickers/bounces on. I switched taillights to see if maybe the LED taillight itself was defective, but it's not, since whichever taillight I install in the outer left position, has the same issue. I also tried swapping the sequencer harness, but the problem stays on the left side. Then I removed the harness completely from left side... turn signal then blinks normally. Doesn't happen with hazard flashers, or the right turn signal, just left turn signal.

Even stranger....I just activated left turn signal & hazards simultaneously...then turned off hazards..left outside tail light is now functioning properly!
Then I switched off turn signal & put on hazards....now hazards are hyperflashing! Tried left turn signal again..back to flickering on. Tried hazards again...working normally. Electrical Gremlin?!!

Any suggestions as to the cause.... & a possible fix would be greatly appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
OUTAKTRL (03-05-2018)
Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

No one??
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Big picture it seems like you have a poor connection if it flickers with even swapping LED lights.

Please clarify what you meant when you said you removed the harness and it worked fine. I assume you meant you removed the sequencer harness (whatever that is). If that is true it must be related to your problem. Once I hear from you I may have a better idea of what to look at.

In the interim you need to look at the connector that ties in your sequencer harness from the stock harness and make sure the pins are fully seated and not loose. That happens sometimes and is hard to see without physically checking them. Just don't man handle them.

Also, I want to know if they do the same thing when you press the brake. I assume (you verify) that the same LEDs provide your turn signal and stop light like the OEM factory setup.

I don't normally weigh in on LED issues but your issue kind of intrigues me. Maybe I'll learn something, like what a sequencer does.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Big picture it seems like you have a poor connection if it flickers with even swapping LED lights.

Please clarify what you meant when you said you removed the harness and it worked fine. I assume you meant you removed the sequencer harness (whatever that is). If that is true it must be related to your problem. Once I hear from you I may have a better idea of what to look at.

In the interim you need to look at the connector that ties in your sequencer harness from the stock harness and make sure the pins are fully seated and not loose. That happens sometimes and is hard to see without physically checking them. Just don't man handle them.

Also, I want to know if they do the same thing when you press the brake. I assume (you verify) that the same LEDs provide your turn signal and stop light like the OEM factory setup.

I don't normally weigh in on LED issues but your issue kind of intrigues me. Maybe I'll learn something, like what a sequencer does.

Thanks for your input!

I'm not sure if it is a bad connection, because of what happens after I activate the hazards & directionals simultaneously (read 2nd paragraph in my initial post).

Yes, you are correct, LED taillight in Left Outside position will function normally when I remove sequencer harness from that light completely. (There are 2 sequencer harnesses...1 for Left Outside taillight & 1 for Right Outside taillight). However, as I mentioned, when I switch sequencer harness from Left Outside taillight to Right Outside taillight....OR switch LED taillights themselves....in both instances...the problem always stays with the light in the left outside position.

To clarify, here is the sequencer harness I'm using www.webelectricproducts.com

Connectors look OK to me.

And yes, you're correct, the Halo LED taillights, which I purchased from a Forum vendor, provide directionals, hazards & brake lights, just like OEM setup. However, the taillight in question functions normally when braking, or activating hazards.

I'm at a loss to figure out what the problem is!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Could be the HyperFlash harness. The problem stays on the left side so it's not the tail light or sequential harness. Also, the 4 ways don't go through the same route as the turn signals. Try it without the HyperFlash and see if it changes. I have the same exact setup with no problems.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:42 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cowboy26a
Could be the HyperFlash harness. The problem stays on the left side so it's not the tail light or sequential harness. Also, the 4 ways don't go through the same route as the turn signals. Try it without the HyperFlash and see if it changes. I have the same exact setup with no problems.
Do you have the Hyperflash Harness?

The reason I installed the Hyperflash Harness was:

1) All the flasher lights flashed too fast, after installing front Switchback LED's, before I even installed LED Taillights.

2) The Left Outside OEM taillight would sporadically go out completely. This happened only after installing front Switchback LED's.

Hyperflash Harness corrected both issues.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Sure sounds like a connection problem in the left outside socket area.

Both rear lights on each side are in parallel. Installing a LED light in the front can't affect one light without affecting the other.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
Do you have the Hyperflash Harness?

The reason I installed the Hyperflash Harness was:

1) All the flasher lights flashed too fast, after installing front Switchback LED's, before I even installed LED Taillights.

2) The Left Outside OEM taillight would sporadically go out completely. This happened only after installing front Switchback LED's.

Hyperflash Harness corrected both issues.
Yes, I have the HyperFlash harness. I got it from RadioFlyer when I installed the LED corner and turn signal lights. I then added the halo mod LED tail lights after installing the LED corner/turn signals.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

The Hyperflash unit just replaces the Hazard flasher. The turn signals still go thru the same circuit from the Hazard switch to the Multifunction switch. Only when the Hazards are actually used is there a slight change. Here is the circuit to look at. I'm still thinking, or trying. The Yellow wire goes to the driver side rear. Dark Green to Passenger side rear. Blue wires go the front based on the Hazard use.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Sure sounds like a connection problem in the left outside socket area.

Both rear lights on each side are in parallel. Installing a LED light in the front can't affect one light without affecting the other.

Like lionelhutz I believe you have an issue in that particular area. You said you looked at the connectors but apparently you did not thoroughly inspect them for loose pins. I think there is some issue back there that is causing this. I think your sequencer harness is adding enough resistance to the circuit (that already has an issue) that it causes the lights to flicker. If you remove the sequencer harness you say the lights work fine. If you can't find the problem just ditch your Christmas tree light sequencer, it will lower your ET.

It would be nice to put eyes on your setup but I can't. Based on the OEM design and what you have done I see no other logical cause for that location to be an issue except for something right there. Anything up stream would affect that whole side. Having swapped your setup from the right to the left confirms in my mind that lionelhutz and I are correct.

Double check to make sure that the outside lights have a good path to the ground connection. If you have any questions PM me with your phone number and we can discuss. Let us know how it goes. Mr. Sam
Old 01-31-2014, 02:03 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Like lionelhutz I believe you have an issue in that particular area. You said you looked at the connectors but apparently you did not thoroughly inspect them for loose pins. I think there is some issue back there that is causing this. I think your sequencer harness is adding enough resistance to the circuit (that already has an issue) that it causes the lights to flicker. If you remove the sequencer harness you say the lights work fine. If you can't find the problem just ditch your Christmas tree light sequencer, it will lower your ET.

It would be nice to put eyes on your setup but I can't. Based on the OEM design and what you have done I see no other logical cause for that location to be an issue except for something right there. Anything up stream would affect that whole side. Having swapped your setup from the right to the left confirms in my mind that lionelhutz and I are correct.

Double check to make sure that the outside lights have a good path to the ground connection. If you have any questions PM me with your phone number and we can discuss. Let us know how it goes. Mr. Sam
Thanks Mr. Sam....PM sent!

Get notified of new replies

To LED Tail Lights Problem...Need Help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Tail Lights Problem...Need Help