C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch chatter "sound"

Old 01-08-2014, 06:54 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clutch chatter "sound"

Howdy all,

I'm planning on upgrading my clutch and clutch assembly this spring/summer, but in the meantime I want to make sure nothing is being damaged and I'm curious if anyone has seen this. The symptom only occurs on the rare occasion that I have to drive on wet roads, but when I do, this is what happens.

I startup, drive to wherever with no problem. I'm there for a period of time and when I come back out and leave, when I first engage the clutch and start to accelerate there is a "chattery sound" when I accelerate a little harder than normal. If I don't accelerate hard I don't hear it. I don't get any slippage that I can feel or loss of power to the wheels that I can feel. After about 2-3 minutes or a few clutch engagements it goes away. This ONLY happens when the streets were wet. As an aside it has been happening for about 6 months, but I dismiss it because of the time between it happening.

Any thoughts?

I've done some research and find threads with chatter, but it is actually physically chattering, where with mine I don't feel anything, it is just a noise.

Also, I'll do my due diligence on what clutch to upgrade to, but if anyone wants to chime in, I'm planning on Supercharging so that is why I want to upgrade.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:32 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pilot and or throwout bearing going possibly? Either way replace those while in there, along with the correct driveshaft rubber couplers while the torque tube is removed. Depending on mines you want want to do a rear main seal while in there as well, and make sure the flywheel isn't burned up.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Are you on a stock clutch? If not, the clutch material may be causing it. A lot of high performance clutches will give you chatter problems in certain conditions.

If running the stock clutch, it's possible the disk got contaminated. Check for any clutch fluid leaking from the bell housing. If there are no fluid leaks, you might want to try slipping it at high rpm for a little bit to heat it up and try to burn off some of the contamination. The same concept is used when bedding brakes.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the heads up and information guys. I'll probably change out the flywheel along with the clutch kit, bearings, TOB... rear main seal is a great idea while I am in there. I'll look for some sort of fluid leakage, but this happens only in wet weather. I can go 6 months in dry weather and I never hear anything. It's kind of a squeaking/chattering sound... but no chatter which I have had on other clutches. FYI, as far as I know this is a stock clutch. I've had it for 3 years and the last 40k miles, it looked unmolested at 35k when I bought it, but you never know until you take it apart. Thanks again.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:33 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,300 Posts

The fact that it does it when it's wet out or high humidity and it goes away after short driving after the car has been sitting could be a light surface rust on the flywheel/pressure plate like you see on brake rotors.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
The fact that it does it when it's wet out or high humidity and it goes away after short driving after the car has been sitting could be a light surface rust on the flywheel/pressure plate like you see on brake rotors.
Ahh... that would make some sense! Is that typical? By the looks of your avatar you may know a lot about this. When I upgrade is this preventable or just something that happens? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:30 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP: I have heard good things about monster clutches, hint hint!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1sickz51vette
To the OP: I have heard good things about monster clutches, hint hint!
Details?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Originally Posted by my02cents
Ahh... that would make some sense! Is that typical? By the looks of your avatar you may know a lot about this. When I upgrade is this preventable or just something that happens? Thanks!
Different friction materials can act differently, but organic is one of the most forgiving and is why it is used as OE. Thanks, I like to think I do don't hesitate if you would like a quote

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch chatter "sound"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch chatter "sound"