C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 PM
CMahaffa
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Handling

Hopefully someone else has had this problem to, but when I'm driving my brakes will randomly jolt (probably not the right word for that), and then a service message comes up and says "Active Handling", sometimes even when I'm not even pressing on the brakes but usually when I'm braking.

Another problem I have is when I'm also driving a "Service Active Handling" message shows up and then the traction control light lights up. But, when I turn the car off and get back in its gone.

Some please help, I have no idea what to do or what the problem could be.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Check your codes. It sounds like the classic Steering Wheel Position Sensor failure. (i.e. P1287)

this link will show you how to do it.
http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Last edited by Bluefire; 01-09-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the exact same issue. I was going to pull the codes today but ran out of time, I'll subscribe to this thread and post how I fix mine as well.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

This is after a day of driving and sitting in the garage turned off. I erased them all and will see what new ones pop up and check the codes while the car is still running.

10-PCM ----- P1416 C ----- AIR Bank 2 (Didn't throw a check engine light)
28-TCS ----- C1287 H ----- Steering Sensor (Probably the culprit for this thread)
A0-LDCM ----- B2282/84/U1016 H ----- Battery Voltage out of range. (Changed my battery recently.)
A1-RDCM ----- B2283/85/B2265/U1016 H -----Battery
B0-RFA ----- C2110 H ----- Right Rear TPM ----- Just got 4 new tires all-round.

Like I said, I deleted these. The only ones I expect back are the P1416 and the C1287. I bet the OP has C1287 as well. Let us know OP! I'm going to price out a steering position sensor.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

2002 Part at Autozone:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=904618_0_0_

If you ship it to your house you get a $25 AutoZone GC right now.

Looks like a lot of work to get in there and change this out.

Here is how to check the sensor, from Bill himself!

Originally Posted by Bill C
The sensor inside the drivers foot well at the base of the steering column and has FOUR wires:

There connected to pins 1, 2, 5 & 6 on the sensor.

Pin 1 is GRY and it will have a 5 VDC (4.9) reference sig from the EBCM. It also feeds the YAW rate sensor and the lateral rate sensor. i would also check for the voltage there. It is also a GRY wire.

Pin 2 is ORN/BLK and it will have a LOW REFF (sensor ground) Sig. It also goes to the YAW and lateral sensors as the same color wires.

Pin 5 is the Steering wheel position sensor signal phase A. It goes directly to the EBCM Lite green wire

Pin 6 is the Steering wheel position sensor signal phase B. It goes directly to the EBCM Lite Blue wire

If you disconnect the sensor plug, you should read (if i read the procedure correctly) .2 VDC on pin 5 & 6

Read the 5 VDC ref voltage to the Low reff pin 2, orange/blk wire should see 5 VDC. if you measure the low reff pin to ground it should not read any higher than 5 ohms.

If it were me,, I would hook up a jumper wire to pin #1 0n the sensor and when the steering wheel is straight, you should see The same output on pins 5 & 6. As you turn the wheel all the way right and left, you should see one pins voltage smoothly increase while the other one smoothly decreases.

Hope this helps.

BC

Last edited by my02cents; 01-09-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Active Handling

Quick Reply: Active Handling