C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problems C5 1997

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:03 PM
JordanVette97
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical problems C5 1997

Hey everyone! I need help, my 1997 Keeps unlocking just the passenger side and at the same time the trunk will pop? Just the passenger side, I thought it was my key fob so I turned it off, it then continued to do it, so I took the battery out of the key fob.. Still continued to do it, no codes pop up besides P0705 Transmission Range Switch Circuit (A/T).. Please help! I'm tired of walking outside and seeing my trunk popped
Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 PM
JordanVette97
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Did you pull the codes or just expect them to be in the DIC??

Here's how to pull codes:

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

OR

Pull them BEFORE you shut off the ignition the next time you drive the car. Post ALL the codes including the H or C or HC that follow each code.

Is the floor in the passenger footwell wet????
I've already checked the DIC codes, and no it's not wet at all, it's been in a garage and still does it.. I know that's where the BCM is, the ground was a little loose but still does it.. Ill have to try it with the ignition still on... I have no comm with the havoc

Last edited by JordanVette97; 01-09-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Usually if one door does not lock or unlock the door control module is the culprit. The trunk, not sure what that's about, but it could be related. If the door lock will not lock/unlock with the door switch as well, pop the door panel off, put a test light on the power door lock actuator and check for power and ground when commanded locked/unlocked.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by JordanVette97
Hey everyone! I need help, my 1997 Keeps unlocking just the passenger side and at the same time the trunk will pop? Just the passenger side, I thought it was my key fob so I turned it off, it then continued to do it, so I took the battery out of the key fob.. Still continued to do it, no codes pop up besides P0705 Transmission Range Switch Circuit (A/T).. Please help! I'm tired of walking outside and seeing my trunk popped
Are you saying that the PS side door and trunk lid do this when you are not even around the car?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:22 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

ahh yeah maybe the passive lock system is doing this, although both doors would be unlocking so you could have a drivers door module issue as well. The RFA receiver is what the fobs talk to. The system never worked that great. I'd replace the fob first. If it still acts up maybe replace the RFA receiver. Or disable the passive lock system altogether.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The trunk unlocks a couple different ways. The Switch in the center console, the FOB thru the RFA to the BCM and the BCM can command it open.

Recommend disconnecting the TRUNK BUTTON in the console to eliminate thst as the cause of the issue

You can also find the fuse for the RFA Module and pull that. That will eliminate the RFA Module as the cause.

NOTE,, you will loose tire pressure monitor data and the use of the FOBS until you restore the fuse.

If you do all the above and it still pops, remove the BCM and pull out the circuit board and see if its corroded or damaged. If it is, clean it with a soft nylon brush and alcohol.

NOTE! The board is ESD SENSITIVE! Dont kill it with static!!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM
JordanVette97
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Are you saying that the PS side door and trunk lid do this when you are not even around the car?
Yes, the car will unlock just the passenger side door, and at the same time the trunk will pop, take note that while going down the road it will continue to unlock the passenger side door but not pop the trunk(safety feature I guess) I don't have my battery in my remote so I ruled out passive, but that still wouldn't explain the random trunk unlocking.. No codes come up,
Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I can't think of anything beyond what Bill has recommended. There is a reason, let us know what you find out.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:33 PM
JordanVette97
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I can't think of anything beyond what Bill has recommended. There is a reason, let us know what you find out.
Okay! Will do! The raido has been out so I suppose something is causing a short, hasn't done it
Old 07-30-2015, 12:22 AM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JordanVette97
Did you ever find a resolution for this issue this is exactly what's going on with my 97.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical problems C5 1997

Quick Reply: Electrical problems C5 1997