C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's / Cons - Oil Cap Breather.... ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Pro's / Cons - Oil Cap Breather.... ?

Guys:

Right now I have my valve cover breather line going into my red intake.... See below pics #1, #2 , #3 ....

When I installed my Fast 92 with a LS2 TB ...., the LS2 TB did not have a port to plug in the breather line (LS1/LS6 TB does have a port)
I had to cut a hole in my red intake to plug this line in.
It is epoxied in the red intake well, and its holding for now.

I was wondering if anyone has one of those Oil Cap Breathers ? (See 4th pic below)

What are the Pro's and Con's of using the oil cap breather ?
- Oil mist on engine over time ?
- Not legal ?
- Best one to get ? Any one better than another ?
- I want one that "blends" in with everything else.

If I install one of these I plan to remove the red coupler with the hole and install a new red coupler with no hole.

Thanks for your input !
Toque

Old 01-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Kreeess
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought breathers mattered more in FI setups and not so much for NA, but I am curious what the pros got to say
Old 01-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So you are planning on providing the "fresh air" side of the PCV with a breather?

Gambler, size 3 to website
Pfadt Race Engineering
888-972-2464
info@pfadtracing.com

Old 01-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Kreeess
I always thought breathers mattered more in FI setups and not so much for NA, but I am curious what the pros got to say
Yea I know the FI guys use these too.

But without a valve cover breather on the setup I have now, I need something to breathe.

A friend of mine got a full heads cam setup recently and the tuner installed a oil cap breather and did not run the line to the red coupler like I did.

Toque
Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
So you are planning on providing the "fresh air" side of the PCV with a breather?
I'm not sure I follow what you mean.
I was thinking of capping off the valve cover breather tube (pass side valve cover hole), and adding the oil cap breather instead.

Toque
Old 01-14-2014, 03:03 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

All that line from the tb to the valve cover does is provide air for the oil to flow out of top of heads, so it doesn't glub glub (like pouring oil quickly out of a quart jug). The fi crowd and the stroked crowd try to stay away from this line because the excess crankcase pressure or blow by can cause oil to cycle back through the tb and intake and make a mess. Plugging the valve cover tube and installing an oil cap breather will provide the air needed. Or just installing a breather on the tube will work. Unless you car has a lot of pressure or blow by, you should not see much of a mess. Take note though, the valve cover port does have a shield to keep the rocker arms from throwing oil out the tube - the oil filler does not. Frequent high rpms could cause the breather on the oil cap to soil your motor. Good luck with which either way you go.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by waddisme
All that line from the tb to the valve cover does is provide air for the oil to flow out of top of heads, so it doesn't glub glub (like pouring oil quickly out of a quart jug). The fi crowd and the stroked crowd try to stay away from this line because the excess crankcase pressure or blow by can cause oil to cycle back through the tb and intake and make a mess. Plugging the valve cover tube and installing an oil cap breather will provide the air needed. Or just installing a breather on the tube will work. Unless you car has a lot of pressure or blow by, you should not see much of a mess. Take note though, the valve cover port does have a shield to keep the rocker arms from throwing oil out the tube - the oil filler does not. Frequent high rpms could cause the breather on the oil cap to soil your motor. Good luck with which either way you go.
Thanks for your input !

Can you give me more detail on what you mean above in bold ?

Toque
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Kreeess
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Toque
Thanks for your input !

Can you give me more detail on what you mean above in bold ?

Toque
i think what he's trying to say is that, with the current valve cover breather system (factory) it shields the oil from spilling during WOT runs. and since your planning to put a breather through the oil filler, the filler does NOT have the system to block out oil during spirited runs possibly causing oil to go up through the breather and making a mess
Old 01-14-2014, 03:34 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

If you take your valve cover off and look under it, where the tube port is underneath, there is a plastic type shield that blocks the oil from being thrown out of it. Take off your oil cap and look in, and you can see a rocker arm. If motor has a lot of crankcase pressure, it can still force it out the tube, but it won't sling it out thru the tube. HTH.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Kreeess
i think what he's trying to say is that, with the current valve cover breather system (factory) it shields the oil from spilling during WOT runs. and since your planning to put a breather through the oil filler, the filler does NOT have the system to block out oil during spirited runs possibly causing oil to go up through the breather and making a mess
Originally Posted by waddisme
If you take your valve cover off and look under it, where the tube port is underneath, there is a plastic type shield that blocks the oil from being thrown out of it. Take off your oil cap and look in, and you can see a rocker arm. If motor has a lot of crankcase pressure, it can still force it out the tube, but it won't sling it out thru the tube. HTH.

Thanks guys ! That makes sense.

So is that why in my searches I'm seeing some of the more expensive ones with a metal shield at the bottom like this one below ?

Maybe its design is to resist the splashing of oil up into the filter ?

Toque
Old 01-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

This one looks interesting.....

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...m#.UtWrU_teGVg

CFM Performance now makes it easy to vent the crankcase on your Chevy LS series engine with our new billet valve cover breather kit. This kit is a direct replacement for your factory oil fill cap and allows unwanted crankcase pressure to exit.

This breather is the ONLY one in the market which incorporates a check ball to keep unmetered air from coming through while the crankcase is under vacuum. In other words, this breather acts just like a factory oil cap under normal driving conditions and when you get into boost it will release any crankcase pressure present.

This kit also has an integrated baffle to help contain any oil particles present in the engine rather than saturating the filter element and eventually leaking through like many other kits in the market.
The filter element is washable and has a chrome top for great looks. The pre-oiled cotton fiber traps dirt particles without restricting air flow.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Kreeess
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys ! That makes sense.

So is that why in my searches I'm seeing some of the more expensive ones with a metal shield at the bottom like this one below ?

Maybe its design is to resist the splashing of oil up into the filter ?

Toque

i think you are correct sir!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 PM
callie454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pretty slick! I like the variety of colors, too.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't install the Oil Cap Breather. I had one for a brief time. High rpm's and left hand turns with high g-force will cause oil to come out the breather and all over your header. If it doesn't catch fire, you got luckey.

Steve
Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

On my 383 I left the PVC system in place and installed a low pressure adjustable pop-off valve in the oil fill cap. If the system is under pressure instead of vacuum, the pop-off valve releases the pressure. Doesn't look pretty but works fine & I think the pop-off was less than $5 delivered.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thanks for the input's so far guys !

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Don't install the Oil Cap Breather. I had one for a brief time. High rpm's and left hand turns with high g-force will cause oil to come out the breather and all over your header. If it doesn't catch fire, you got luckey.

Steve
Steve:

I see exactly what your saying, and that is NOT a good thing !

Did you have one of the generic types though, or the well thought out one I posted in Post #11. Seems they put some thought into that one about the exact issue you speak of.

Thanks !
Toque
Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Roger Z06
Drifting

All you do as far as keeping your engine clean is go to Reebok store or Walbogs and buy some basketball wristbands, they work perfect on the larger diameter breathers.

Get notified of new replies

To Pro's / Cons - Oil Cap Breather.... ?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the input's so far guys !

Steve:

I see exactly what your saying, and that is NOT a good thing !

Did you have one of the generic types though, or the well thought out one I posted in Post #11. Seems they put some thought into that one about the exact issue you speak of.

Thanks !
Toque
I had a generic one. Looks like the one in your first post.
Not sure what your doing, but I put a catch can in line. It will fill up in just a few laps of Autocross.
Name:  P1010130_zpseacfb637.jpg
Views: 9338
Size:  43.8 KB
Name:  P1010131_zpsf5adde36.jpg
Views: 9326
Size:  40.5 KB

Steve
Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The chrome one is a nice looking piece. However, if you remove the line from the tb to the valve port, then the one with the check valve will not work. Remember the purpose of that line is to help drain the oil out of the heads without the glub glub effect(and yes, glub is a word).

If you are not having issues with crankcase pressure, then your current system is fine. An oil cap breather would still get that unsightly hose out of the engine bay.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:16 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I had a -10an bung welded onto both of my valve covers and ran those to a jegs dual inlet breather can... I removed my pcv valve and capped off all the ports on my valley cover, intake, and throttle body... I still use the passenger valve cover fitting and that is ran to the inlet of my supercharger... since you are n/a I would assume you would cap that one off as well if you decided to go the breather can route... here is a link to the one I used, http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...52202/10002/-1 ... I also had to buy an extra -10an union to put in the other side of the can as it comes from jegs with a plug in one side... this might be overkill for your setup but I just wanted to give another alternative than using one of those breather oil caps... I wanted something that would allow my motor to breathe sufficiently under boost and eliminate oil in the intake... the only negatives I can think of would be condensation settling on top of the oil since it isn't being evacuated by the pcv but most of that will boil off when your oil temps get up to 190° or so and if you change your oil religiously like me then I don't see that becoming an issue

Quick Reply: Pro's / Cons - Oil Cap Breather.... ?