C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBCM upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 PM
echelonphoto
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default EBCM upgrade?

I have a 2000 vert with active handling....all systems are working at present, but I am concerned about the issues with the unrepairable units pre 2001. I am in NJ...will my car fail inspection if there are ebcm codes?
I really don't mind driving w/o abs...but if I can't pass inspection...the car is unusable.

2nd question....I have done extensive searches....is there anyone that has upgraded there ebcm to the new 2001 versions...I know you would probably have to replaced all sensors etc...but seems to be the only viabl fix.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:12 PM
davisce
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by echelonphoto
I have a 2000 vert with active handling....all systems are working at present, but I am concerned about the issues with the unrepairable units pre 2001. I am in NJ...will my car fail inspection if there are ebcm codes?
I really don't mind driving w/o abs...but if I can't pass inspection...the car is unusable.

2nd question....I have done extensive searches....is there anyone that has upgraded there ebcm to the new 2001 versions...I know you would probably have to replaced all sensors etc...but seems to be the only viabl fix.

I have a 99 C5 and have had some issues with "sensors" and ebcm codes as well. Unfortunately for all us 1999-2000 model Corvettes we have sensors that were only installed on those two model years and sensors for other models won't work. The other bad news is GM doesn't offer/carry these sensors anymore. Our only option is to find a 1999 or 2000 Vette that's been wrecked and buy the used sensors on the wreck (if you can find them). Also, bad news is "Wrecking Yards" that strip wrecked Vettes for parts are charging almost the same price for the used parts that you would have normally paid for a new part if available. .. . . . I've already replaced the "Steering Wheels position sensor and the Gas Pedal Position Sensor" Not Cheap either ! I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is !
Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The wiring harness and all sensors except the EBCM connector and the SWPS are the same between your 00 and a 01+ if you have an AH car. So there is no reason it couldn't be done if you really wanted it done. However, no-one is willing to pay a shop $3k to upgrade a $15k car.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:39 AM
echelonphoto
Pro

Well since we've done entire drivetrain swaps in our vettes already...I think we could handle the job ourselves...how do you swap in the new
ebcm connector and what is that other part you mentioned?
How about the brake lines and pump
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lets just hope that some aftermarket company sees enough profit in making these parts in the future. I'm in Kalifornia where they want to make cars that use fossil fuel illegal and get us all on bicycles. Rod
Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I've never done it. I looked through the wiring diagrams and despite claims of the 01+ being "completely different systems which would require re-wiring the whole car" I found that the cars with active handling had almost ever wire the same color and connected in the same place. The older systems actually had a few extra wires that wouldn't be needed.

I'm assuming you have active handling? The body control module has to be able to turn the AH on and off using the console switch. Without the AH there are also a couple of sensors missing.

You'd basically need the whole ABS unit and mounting bracket as well as the plug cut-off with some extra wire. You'd have to install the module and modify the brake lines to fit or also get the brake lines with the newer ABS unit. The wiring plug you'd have to either cut and splice the new connector onto or remove the pins from the old plug and install them into the new plug. I can't recall offhand but I believe the only difference is that your system has an extra 2 wires from the steering wheel position sensor which don't exist on the newer unit. All other wires are the same color and size. Oh, the brake pressure sensor is in a different spot so some re-wiring might be needed to get it connected too.

Once you get that far then you'll have to see if it works. Worst case, the body control module and/or the steering wheel position sensor have to be changed to the newer versions to to be compatible with the newer EBCM.

You should likely spend some time with the wiring diagrams. Gathering the newer parts and comparing them to what's on the car would help too.

Overall, it's not a simple swap. You need to be able to work with both the electrical/electronics side and the mechanical side.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll just be driving mine with no TCS/ABS when it goes out. Whenever I drive the car hard, TCS is off anyway. And I can live without ABS.

It's going to be worse for all these modern cars 20 years from now.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM
echelonphoto
Pro

Thanks for the replies...anyone from NJ pass inspection with ABS codes?

Get notified of new replies

To EBCM upgrade?

Quick Reply: EBCM upgrade?