C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair SDM Code B0026 (Driver's side airbag loop high resistance or open circuit).

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Henry Huynh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repair SDM Code B0026 (Driver's side airbag loop high resistance or open circuit).

WARNING/DISCLAIMER: This is a potential solution to broken wiring associated with SDM Code B0026. Working with airbags is dangerous and any maintenance should be performed by competent technicians. If you so choose to use my guide to fix your clock spring, I am ABSOLUTELY NOT RESPONSIBLE for any accidents, injuries, deaths that may occur. So be careful, disconnect the battery, and ground yourself out to discharge any static electricity that may reside within your body.

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
The Service Manual lists the following for DTC B0026 ....

------------------------------------------

Circuit Description

The steering wheel deployment loop consists of an inflatable restraint steering wheel module, an inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil, the steering wheel module - high control and steering wheel module - low control circuits. A shorting bar is used in the inflatable restraint steering wheel module and the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil connectors which will short together the steering wheel module - high control and low control circuits when the connector is disconnected, this will help to prevent unwanted deployment of the inflator module during servicing. During a frontal crash of sufficient force the SDM will allow current to flow through the deployment loop in order to deploy the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. The SDM performs continuous diagnostic tests on the deployment loops to check for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a DTC will store
Recently I was greeted with SDM code B0026 on my DIC. After translating the code I figured I'd take a shot at repairing it in order to save myself $100+ on a new clock spring (which is the common failed part associated with the code). This will require removal of the steering wheel and clock spring.

TOOLS REQUIRED:
-Multimeter
-T25 screwdriver or socket
-T25 inverted socket
-Steering wheel puller
-Electrical tape
-Soldering iron/solder (sharp tipped)
-Snap ring pliers
-Razor blade/box cutter/exacto knife
-Glue or epoxy

1.Use the following link for procedures regarding the removal of the steering wheel and clock spring:
http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettef...ad.php?t=39071

2.Once you've removed the clock spring use your multimeter in the resistance setting to measure between the green wire on the vehicle end to the green wire on the airbag end. If continuity exists (0 Ohms or close) than this wire is good. (NOTE: The vehicle side of the clock spring harness is designed to close the circuit between the green and white wires when unplugged. This is a safety feature meant to prevent unintentional deployment of the airbag when the clock spring harness is unplugged. In other words shorting these 2 wires out is safe).

3.Perform the same procedure in step 2 for the white wire.

NOTE: If continuity existed in both green and white wires, retest for continuity but this time wiggle the wiring and monitor the meter for breaks in continuity.

4.The break in your wire may not be external to the clock spring, therefor you need to open it up.

5.Using a blade of your choice, cut the tabs holding the clock spring cover from the housing.

6.Be careful when separating the cover from the housing for there is a long ribbon cable as well as plastic ribbon guides covered in grease inside.

7.When you've opened up the clock spring, carefully pull out it's guts taking care not to damage any wiring. (Take note as to how the clock spring is assembled inside as you'll need to put it back together exactly how it was. Might look intimidating at first but you'll figure it out).

NOTE: You'll notice that there are 6 segments of wiring within the clock spring with only 2 being used. This will allow you to use any of the 4 segments (if not damaged) in place of your damaged segment.

8.Isolate the broken wire, look closely at the bends in the ribbon cable (this is where I found my break).

9.Once you've concluded which wire is broken, disconnect the associated green or white wires from both ends of the clock spring ribbon.

10.Determine a good segment of the ribbon which you'd like to use using the multimeter.

11.When you've decided which segment you want to use, strip and solder the wires you've disconnected onto the terminal for corresponding side (vehicle/airbag) of the good segment of the ribbon cable.

12.Test for continuity between the newly soldered wire. If continuity does not exist, check your solder job or for additional breaks.

13.Reassemble the clock spring the way you found it when you opened it up. Use electrical tape to secure green/white wires to the plastic tabs on the clock spring.

14.Repeat step 12 to confirm damage to wiring did not occur during step 13.

15.Glue or epoxy the cover onto the housing of the clock spring EXTERNALLY ONLY. (I used a hot glue gun)

16.Reinstall the clock spring, steering wheel, and airbag onto the vehicle by reversing the steps in the above mentioned link.

17.Once you've completed your install, plug the battery back in and turn the key on the "ON" Position. Your airbag light may blink but should no longer stay illuminated. Congratulations. You've just saved $100

If your SDM Code B0026 persists, here are possible reasons why:
-Break in the wiring resides elsewhere on the airbag circuit.
-Clock-Spring wiring is still damaged or is unrepairable.
-Glitch in the Matrix (watch out for sentinels).

I hope this helps someone out there. So far it's working for me.

Last edited by Henry Huynh; 01-25-2014 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
helphos (09-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Repair SDM Code B0026 (Driver's side airbag loop high resistance or open circuit).