C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun main bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 PM
long
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spun main bearing

I picked up a used 6.0 iron short block this week. I checked the rod bearings before I puchased it but not the mains. During the tear down I found that the number 1 main bearing had spun. The first thing I looked for was a pinned crank thinking it was from a supercharger. It was not pinned. I removed the bearing and torqued the main cap and check the diameter. It is in spec but at the high end of the spec. Has anyone seen this before and is this a common problem? I have no history on the engine. It had been painted so I am assuming it was not just pulled out of a truck.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Line Bore/Hone time
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM
long
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Line Bore/Hone time
You are correct. I have seen spun cam bearings and rods on these engines but never mains. That's why I'm concerned.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:16 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Why would you automatically think supercharger? A spun bearing can be from a few things. Supercharging wouldnt be close to my first guess.

And im gonna go with not very common unless the driver just wasnt watching the oil press. My oil pump died and then my mains rod, and cam bearings became worn. I didnt know any of that and just swapped the oil pump out and kept it moving. Oil pressure was low though. After parking it and tearing it down... The cam ITSELF was worn down on some lobes, lifters were pitted, and metal had gone through out the motor. I was shocked to see that no bearings had been spun. Im guessing it was because I constantly was changing the oil and never took it over barely idling while driving it after I saw the low oil press.

Yo

Get notified of new replies

To spun main bearing

Quick Reply: spun main bearing