C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a aftermarket clutch.should I go with a lightweight flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:38 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default buying a aftermarket clutch.should I go with a lightweight flywheel

Im about to start updating my transmission and clutch and im looking at the monster stage3 clutch.

Its giving me the option to choose between a 18lb light weight flywheel or a 28lb billet flywheel.
Which one is good for mainly dragraceing and for a car that has a big cam?

On the other site people are saying that a lightweight flywheel hurts performance from a dig and a heavy fly wheel would be better from a dig and if you have a big cam installed.is this true?

Here is the clutch im looking at
http://www.monsterclutches.com/shop/...5-package.html

Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 01:11 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It's Fords, but it's still good info.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/LWF_DRAG_TEST.pdf
Old 02-03-2014, 01:29 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Lightweight ones are more for road racing. The more stout billet one is more suited for drag racing. Cutting hard 60s are murder on aluminum flys.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 AM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
It's Fords, but it's still good info.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/LWF_DRAG_TEST.pdf
Great article and it seens as if the lightweight is better in some ways.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:23 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Argh too many mixed reviews..drag racers swear a heavy flywheel is the way to go but there's plenty of articles debunking the myth of a heavier flywheel is necessary for drag racing.
I think Im just going to take a chance and go with a the heavier flywheel over the lightweight.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:26 PM
JohnStuttle
Do Not Quench The Spirit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I replaced my lightweight flywheel with a heavier one. Heavier is Better for the street IMO
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by moe24
Argh too many mixed reviews..drag racers swear a heavy flywheel is the way to go but there's plenty of articles debunking the myth of a heavier flywheel is necessary for drag racing.
I think Im just going to take a chance and go with a the heavier flywheel over the lightweight.
depends on how you drive

heavier is easier to launch and some say easier in parking lots. it's absolutely better if you're using a stage3 or higher clutch

with organic or kevlar you could go either way. personally i like lighter flywheels and both of these flywheels are billet steel. the weights you posted made obvious which company it is

if you rev match going into corners, autocross or generally like a lively car get the lighter one

if you do more drag racing or lugging around parking lots get the heavier one
Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

I do more drag raceing than anything..I dont autocross or anything like that since we dont really have those facilities out here where I live..
I dont drag race alot, mainly a few empty street runs every now and again..its my Daily driver.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

If anyone has any other recommendations for a clutch and fly wheel combo for under $900 other than the one I posted plz pm or let me know. .
I know I need something that can handle atleast 650-750rwhp since ill be adding a supercharger in the summer..
Im trying to get the tranny and clutch work done before I add the supercharger.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

The heavier flywheel will likely make the car a little slower at the strip but for daily driving it's a no-brainer.

Have you looked at the ECS Mantic ER2 clutch? It appears to be dual friction (organic on one side and ceramic on the other) so it might engage smoother then the Monster clutch. They've just never posted much detail on that clutch has besides the grooves being so wonderful.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 AM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

There are single disk clutches that will hold your power but they are going to pretty stiff and hard to press. I previously used single disk clutches but this last time I went with a Mcleod RST dual disk and it was so much lighter. The dual discs are more expensive but worth it imo.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 AM
mathia
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Monster clutch "lightweight" flywheel is still billet steel and at 18lbs it's about 4lbs heavier than an aluminum flywheel from Fidanza. Also keep in mind that the Monster pressure plate weighs more than stock so the total package with the lightweight flywheel is not much less than stock.

In this link, someone weighed their Monster stage 3 clutch & pressure plate with the 18lb flywheel and it came to 46lbs complete. They said their stock ls1 clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel came to 49lbs. http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...ight-info.html.

Last edited by mathia; 02-05-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Good info on the total weight. Weight is OK for comparing but knowing the inertia would be better.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:02 AM
rpmrollbar
Instructor

Heavier is faster at strip.period., the heavier the flywheel acts as stored inertia and help launch car. Now if you have an auto only way to take advantage is higher stall converter and a tranny brake. Stick car just dumps clutch of course. Stickier tire next. All your gains in drag racing come in the first 60 ft, regardless of how light that alum flywheel lets the motor rev. Road racing different story, car is already moving. Lighter the better.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by rpmrollbar
Heavier is faster at strip.period.,
The article I linked had 2 cars go faster with lighter flywheels. It seems your claim is wrong...

You can launch at a higher RPM and get the energy back. You did know the energy stored is proportional to RPM squared so doubling the RPM will store 4X the energy if using the same flywheel? Dump some weight from the flywheel and you may only have to increase launch rpm by 500rpm to 1000rpm to get the same launch.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM
rpmrollbar
Instructor

Actually what that is saying only applies if you are leaving at an idle with the heavier flywheel. If you noticed I said use the stored inertia by launching at high rpm by the use of higher stall and tranny brake. It's simple math really, a heavier rotating mass released at say 5000rpm propels the car forward more than a lighter mass at same rpm. Trust me I been drag racing for over 26 years and built just about every class of drag car from street to pro mod and alcohol funny cars. Car always ET faster when stored inertia is planned. The trick is trying to use this without blowing the tires off. More gains in tires prob than alum vs steel flywheel.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:21 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

The article I linked had 2 cars go faster with lighter flywheels. It seems your claim is wrong...

You can launch at a higher RPM and get the energy back. You did know the energy stored is proportional to RPM squared so doubling the RPM will store 4X the energy if using the same flywheel? Dump some weight from the flywheel and you may only have to increase launch rpm by 500rpm to 1000rpm to get the same launch.
he's not, i've also been faster on heavier flywheels with pure drag racing.

you can technify it however you wish but my experience has been that heavier flywheels are easier to cut a good 60ft with

Get notified of new replies

To buying a aftermarket clutch.should I go with a lightweight flywheel

Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by racebum
he's not, i've also been faster on heavier flywheels with pure drag racing.

you can technify it however you wish but my experience has been that heavier flywheels are easier to cut a good 60ft with

LOL, I didn't "technify" anything, I posted the results of real world testing. The lighter flywheels picked up over a 10th of a second in 2 different cars.

Claiming heavier is faster "Period" is ridiculous when it's like a lot of other things - it depends.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

ive been looking at the Mcleod RST dual disk but they i dont see any packages where as the clutch,flywheel and pressure plate..do i order these separate?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:15 PM
rpmrollbar
Instructor

LOL, I didn't "technify" anything, I posted the results of real world testing. The lighter flywheels picked up over a 10th of a second in 2 different cars.

Claiming heavier is faster "Period" is ridiculous when it's like a lot of other things - it depends.
This real world testing is always based on a number of factors, but if drag racing is your goal, the 60 fts are your friend. Now if street racing the lighter flywheel is my choice only cause you may already be moving. If your trying to say its conclusive that lighter is better at the strip then maybe you should go to the track and ask around. All the prostock or comp eliminator guys will be happy to explain their 30 plus years on this subject.

Quick Reply: buying a aftermarket clutch.should I go with a lightweight flywheel