Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Arc07
CF Member

Arc07 Arc07
Send a message via Skype™ to Arc07
Default Under hood fuse #2 keeps blowing.

Hi. I've searched for the issue I'm having and I'm getting mixed results, so I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

I purchased a set of reverse LED bulbs, and I installed the right one first and tested it by unlocking the car. Everything was fine. I installed the left one and when I tested it, neither light worked. After digging on here I saw that the under hood fuse #2 (Approach) controls the reverse lights. I installed the (only) spare fuse I had on hand and put the stock bulbs back in. Everything worked. After installing the LEDs again, I put both in and tested them simultaneously. Neither worked. I checked the #2 fuse again, and it was blown. So before I go pick up a handful of fuses, I'd like to determine what causes this. I emailed the great George @ Radioflyer but I feel bad for always bothering him.

Any tips would be very appreciated.
Arc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
martysauto
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
Support Corvetteforum!

Sound like the new lights are the problem. If you put the stock bulbs in and the fuse does not blow, that confirms it. You can install an ammeter in place of the fuel and measure current draw with the stock bulbs. The install the led's and retest, just run a quick test (2-3 seconds) w the led's so as to not damage anything. You could also install a larger fuse in series w the ammeter to be safe while testing.
martysauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
tentuna
CF Senior Member

Charles A Falson

Sounds like you may have a bulb with a short in it, first thing to check is it always the same bulb that causes a problem, if so that's the culprit you can confirm with a DVM, if there is a short will will show low resistance. This is a good starting point, if this is not the problem put the original bulbs back in and let us know if the problem persists.
tentuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!

I would say that one of the new LED bulbs is bad. Measure the two bulbs with an OHM Meter ans see if one reads colse to zero ohms.

BC
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
Arc07
CF Member

Arc07 Arc07
Send a message via Skype™ to Arc07

One of the bulbs is bad. Replacement is on the way. Thanks for the replies. :-D
Arc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Under hood fuse #2 keeps blowing.