C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 AC blower motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:37 PM
triziks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 AC blower motor problem

My AC blower motor went out (So I thought) the other day. I ordered a new 1 and plugged it up and it didnt move. So i tested both motors right of my battery and look at that they both work. So I tested the wires to the blower and I have a bad ground. So the question is what is causing this problem maybe the Blower Motor Resistor? Or what? Please someone help me out!

Last edited by triziks; 02-12-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

OK, I'll be glad to help but I need some info.

Is your system Automatic (dual control) or Manual?

Have you TESTED the fuses AND relays? If, so tell me exactly which ones by #

Have you pulled your Codes to see if anything is there?

Any clarifying info on testing of motor wires (like color) that led you to believe you have no ground.

MY FSM is a 2001 but I am not aware of any changes between the years.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 AM
triziks
Instructor

Its Automatic dual control, no codes, i used voltage meter to check if i had a bad. I get volts coming out of it if i ground it to a nut on the car but when i try the wires nothing. Ill test the relays today and let you know! Thanks :]
Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

OK, here is the 2001 schematic which should be like yours. Tired to get a better scan but at the bottom the Splice Pack goes to Ground G202. I am thinking that the Blower Control Module is bad. From what you said it is providing power to the motor (motor input "B". But, it is not providing a circuit path to ground. I assume when you made the ground circuit you went from motor output "A" to ground to get it to run. I would try to measure for continuity (zero ohms) from the Blower Motor Control Processor Ground output "A" to a ground location. If that path is OK then I think your processor is bad. Let me know if I can help further. Let us know what happens. Mr. Sam

PS: I don't think you need to worry about relays and fuses now based on the what you said and the circuit.

Last edited by dadaroo; 02-13-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 PM
triziks
Instructor

I pulled the HVAC motor resistor off and check the volts coming from the 3 wires going into the resistor and i am getting volts with using the ground of those 3 wires. But when the resistor is plugged in i am not. So this should mean the resistor is bad correct?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by triziks
I pulled the HVAC motor resistor off and check the volts coming from the 3 wires going into the resistor and i am getting volts with using the ground of those 3 wires. But when the resistor is plugged in i am not. So this should mean the resistor is bad correct?
If I understand what you did correctly, then yes the resistor is bad. Another way to test the resistor is to remove it and use an ohmmeter to see if the circuit is open (infinite resistance) sure sounds like it is. With that said, my 2001 schematic I posted shows no such resistor in the circuit, just the module shown above??

I had a Toyota once that the fan would not operate at all the speeds. It had a resistor in the circuit that was bad.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 PM
triziks
Instructor

I tried to scope out that diagram you showed me but i got super lost lol
Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by triziks
I tried to scope out that diagram you showed me but i got super lost lol

That's fine, been doing it for 50 years so it is easier for me. Replace your resistor and post a picture of what it looks like. Let us know how it goes and if you need any more help.

PS: Could not find any "resistor" in my parts manual, only the control processor. I think that may be what you are calling a resistor.

Get notified of new replies

To 98 AC blower motor problem

Quick Reply: 98 AC blower motor problem