C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

infamous p1870 code

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default infamous p1870 code

Ok. Recently, i had noticed my trans locking up, and unlocking, then just not locking up period. I added approx 2 quarts of trans fluid, topped it off per owners manual instructions. Still same issues, except when the cars cold, itll lock up at 45mph, but back end of car shakes violently, then itll unlock without touching brakes, lock back up on its own, then unlock. After that it will not lock up whatsoever. So my main question is, new tranny? Valve body? Torque converter? Or all of the above. The stall is a vig stall 3600 i believe. It was on car when i bought it. Any input would greatly be appreciated
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Code p1870 is a trans slippage code. If you ran it 2 qts low and have a vibration. The trans is probably done. Did you get a fluid sample? Does it look dark and smell burnt? If it's burnt, you better call rpm and get a quality trans ordered.
What year, mileage and mods on the car? How many miles on trans? How many miles since last service?
If the PCM was reprogrammed, I would suggest you have someone reputable check it to make sure there are no problems there that will kill the new one.
Last thing, if you have a stall converter, you had better have a large cooler to handle the heat.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:25 PM
nick.celis
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

408, yes it was fully tuned. I have a b&mm trans cooler with a 10inch fan on it. So yes i have a big trans cooler. I have not smelled or inspected. But I'm pretty sure your right on trans being done. I'm getting EXTREMELY hard 1-2 upshifts.

Get notified of new replies

To infamous p1870 code

Quick Reply: infamous p1870 code