C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 cigarette lighter assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 02:16 PM
nwalker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 cigarette lighter assembly

OK, I screwed up. I replaced my front console, and part of the process involves switching over the cigarette lighter to the new bezel. The problem is, when I disassembled it, it fell apart before I could document how it came apart. I have apparently reassembled it incorrectly, because the lighter socket doesn't work, and it blows fuses. Everything else works properly...and looks great. Does anyone have a drawing, or info on reassembling the lighter? I need to know in what order the parts go onto the shaft, and whether the concave washer goes up or down. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by nwalker
OK, I screwed up. I replaced my front console, and part of the process involves switching over the cigarette lighter to the new bezel. The problem is, when I disassembled it, it fell apart before I could document how it came apart. I have apparently reassembled it incorrectly, because the lighter socket doesn't work, and it blows fuses. Everything else works properly...and looks great. Does anyone have a drawing, or info on reassembling the lighter? I need to know in what order the parts go onto the shaft, and whether the concave washer goes up or down. Any help would be much appreciated.
Nothing in the FSM. If you can't figure it out just buy a new one at the auto parts store.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:25 AM
nwalker
Advanced

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Nothing in the FSM. If you can't figure it out just buy a new one at the auto parts store.
Thanks, I've thought about that, but I HOPE to keep it original. If I put in a generic assembly from a parts store, I'll have to splice the wiring harness...which I CAN do, but don't really wANT to...
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Thanks, I've thought about that, but I HOPE to keep it original. If I put in a generic assembly from a parts store, I'll have to splice the wiring harness...which I CAN do, but don't really wANT to...
Do what I did when it happened to me. Go down to your local parts store and look at how the ones they sell are put together. That will show you how yours should be. I tried looking at them online but couldn't get enough detail from the image to see. Bring your phone and snap a pic while you are there in case you forget.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:33 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If it were me, I would still go to the store and see if there is one that would use the same connection design.

Other option just reinstall it and don't worry about function by not connecting it. Not many people want to smoke in their car. I disconnected the lighter in my Pantera since it is highly exposed and I didn't want it accidently engaged and not eject and cause overheating and damage.

Third, just get a new/another base. They are not expensive.

Good luck, can't be too many ways to reassemble it. You haven't tried the right one yet.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Okay, if the fuse is blowing you may have the wires crossed. The ORANGE wire is positive and connects to the center. The BLACK wire is negative and connects to the barrel.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Other option just reinstall it and don't worry about function by not connecting it. Not many people want to smoke in their car. I disconnected the lighter in my Pantera since it is highly exposed and I didn't want it accidently engaged and not eject and cause overheating and damage.
The problem with this is that you lose the ability to use the socket as a power source. I pulled the lighter out of my car the day I bought it, but use the socket to power my radar detector.

Good luck, can't be too many ways to reassemble it. You haven't tried the right one yet.
You are correct, but the "right way" to assemble it isn't intuitive at all, which makes it very difficult to do by random reassembly.

I went through all of this frustration when I tried to put mine back together for the first time. I finally just got fed up with trying and drove down to the parts store. I put it together in the parking lot using one of their generic lighters as a model to follow.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:56 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I have an extra one with the connector if you end up needing it
Old 02-23-2014, 06:44 PM
nwalker
Advanced

Default Thanks...

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
The problem with this is that you lose the ability to use the socket as a power source. I pulled the lighter out of my car the day I bought it, but use the socket to power my radar detector.

You are correct, but the "right way" to assemble it isn't intuitive at all, which makes it very difficult to do by random reassembly.

I went through all of this frustration when I tried to put mine back together for the first time. I finally just got fed up with trying and drove down to the parts store. I put it together in the parking lot using one of their generic lighters as a model to follow.
You are correct. I do NOT smoke, and will NEVER put a lighter in it. I DO, however, sometimes need to charge my phone, or other electronic device, and want to keep the flexibility of having a switchable 12 volt supply.

Last edited by nwalker; 02-23-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: correct spelling...
Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

not sure if this pic helps but hopefully it does... the piece on the right goes on the outside of the bezel then the piece in the middle will screw onto the back which holds everything in place then your connector snaps on the back... there are 2 tabs on the backside and your ground wire must make contact with one of those tabs so make sure one of those is in the correct position when your connector goes on... it seems real simple to me unless there is more to your problem than i think

Last edited by neutron82; 02-23-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM
umrjmac
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great post, thanks for taking the time to take your spare apart
Old 02-28-2014, 11:02 PM
nwalker
Advanced

Originally Posted by neutron82
I have an extra one with the connector if you end up needing it
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!
Problem solved!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:19 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

glad it worked out for you
Old 01-14-2017, 10:32 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Resurrection time. I have the same problem as the OP, and I have the parts just like neutron's pic, but I unscrewed the inner shaft (probably reassembled incorrectly) and when I snap on the connector, the fuse blows. I would like to have the power available for a USB adapter, which I already have, and it's location is much better than using the one under the console door. I'd prefer to have the original back, but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:14 PM
nwalker
Advanced

Originally Posted by chasboy
Resurrection time. I have the same problem as the OP, and I have the parts just like neutron's pic, but I unscrewed the inner shaft (probably reassembled incorrectly) and when I snap on the connector, the fuse blows. I would like to have the power available for a USB adapter, which I already have, and it's location is much better than using the one under the console door. I'd prefer to have the original back, but I'm open to suggestions.
That's what I did that created the problem. It is supposed to be removed by unscrewing the shell off tge back, and I couldn't get it off, thus the problem. I couldn't get it assembled correctly, so I finally replaced it. They're about 12 or 13 dollars on eBay, if your dealer can't get one.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:51 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Thanks, after a couple of words with Dennis, I realized I don't need the receptacle anyway since my new HU comes with 2 USB s. I also have the second lighter in the console that I can plug my adapter into. Turns out the old cig lighter hole will be more useful as a hole, and the cig power wire can be used for more lights!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 cigarette lighter assembly

Quick Reply: C5 cigarette lighter assembly