C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Steering Position Sensor- 1999 c5

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:51 AM
AGP
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Steering Position Sensor- 1999 c5

Help, Steering Position Sensor- 1999 c5 -Gm Part #26058286 has been discontinued.
"Active handling warming up " message and light comes on at start up, goes off in 15 minutes and message reads "Active Handling warm up complete"
Chevy dealer indicates the Steering Position Sensor
needs replacement,part has been discontinued don't know what to do. Have found used parts on line is it worth the gamble with a used part? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
P.S.
No error codes.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's your only option I think.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
It's your only option I think.
I agree that if you can't find a new one you have to go with a used one. It is something you can do your self if you feel comfortable. I can send you a link with pics to see if you want to tackle. If you do your self and it is a bad part you have only spent a little bit of money and no dealer costs.

Not at home now, I know the new ones come with a locating pin to aid the installation. However there are some folks who did have a problem with the install and just used a simple voltmeter to resolve. I can also get the link for what they did. It was very recent.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 PM
AGP
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I agree that if you can't find a new one you have to go with a used one. It is something you can do your self if you feel comfortable. I can send you a link with pics to see if you want to tackle. If you do your self and it is a bad part you have only spent a little bit of money and no dealer costs.

Not at home now, I know the new ones come with a locating pin to aid the installation. However there are some folks who did have a problem with the install and just used a simple voltmeter to resolve. I can also get the link for what they did. It was very recent.
I don't think I will tackle myself however would still be interested in link.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AGP
Thanks
It's not typical for swps to go out this way. I would look elsewhere before replacing that sensor. Do you ever get the service active handling or traction control message? How is the alignment, tires, and is the steering wheel centered on a straight flat road? This sensor will usually throw a code when it goes bad. Check codes and see if you have a history code for the sensor.
This link describes how to check codes using the dic in the car. Post the codes. http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Old 02-27-2014, 06:27 PM
AGP
4th Gear

Originally Posted by BigGun
It's not typical for swps to go out this way. I would look elsewhere before replacing that sensor. Do you ever get the service active handling or traction control message? How is the alignment, tires, and is the steering wheel centered on a straight flat road? This sensor will usually throw a code when it goes bad. Check codes and see if you have a history code for the sensor.
This link describes how to check codes using the dic in the car. Post the codes. http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
The tires are new had alignment done when I installed tires about 6 months ago. I have had the car a little over a year I bought car with the problem.Never get the service active.handling or traction control message. The only history codes are Aoldcm b2284h b2264h. The steering wheel appears straight with wheels straight looking at the car now in the garage.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by AGP
Thanks
I too am questioning that the SWPS is bad. Here is a link on others having your issue. There are others out there, I just Goggled on "C5 active handling warming up" and posted the first one I saw.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...arming-up.html

Here is what it takes to replace the SWPS:

http://www.ddisoftware.com/c5-procs/
Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by AGP
Help, Steering Position Sensor- 1999 c5 -Gm Part #26058286 has been discontinued.
"Active handling warming up " message and light comes on at start up, goes off in 15 minutes and message reads "Active Handling warm up complete"
needs replacement,part has been discontinued don't know what to do. Have found used parts on line is it worth the gamble with a used part? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
P.S.
No error codes.
Thanks
those 2 "warnings" don't indicate a problem, the active handling is resetting. This usually happens when the car is driven slowly for a distance, and turned sharp.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:48 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

I seem to recall this message popping up if you move the car too soon after a startup, especially if you turn right after startup before all systems are initiated.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:35 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great. Yet another part GM has stopped making for our cars. Sure glad they continue to support their flagship model! I have a 97' and can't wait til my ABS module craps out for good. Now this? How can they not continue to support this model?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:52 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
Great. Yet another part GM has stopped making for our cars. Sure glad they continue to support their flagship model! I have a 97' and can't wait til my ABS module craps out for good. Now this? How can they not continue to support this model?
They don't make parts for a lot of old Vettes anymore. By law, 10yrs and they are OUT. Problem with today's cars is much of the Electronics is farmed out (like Bosch), unless GM or the Vendor licenses the technology to be reproduced it doesn't get made.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:40 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything I have read has said that there are companies that repair the later units. But the early ones are not repairable.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AGP
P.S.
No error codes.
Thanks
My 99 A4 coupe used to do that too but it just went away on its own, has not done it for a couple years now.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:29 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AGP
Thanks
It stays on for 15 minutes?? Or did you mean 15 seconds?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 AM
AGP
4th Gear

Originally Posted by BigGun
It stays on for 15 minutes?? Or did you mean 15 seconds?
15 Minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, Steering Position Sensor- 1999 c5

Quick Reply: Help, Steering Position Sensor- 1999 c5