C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airbag sensor location on a 00 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default airbag sensor location on a 00 vette?

my airbag light is on and its been on for 3 years since my car started getting worked on.the bags have never been deployed so my question is where is the airbag sensor on the front of the 2000 corvette and where can i get a new sensor if its missing because i cant seem to find it anywhere!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:52 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I think the only sensor is the module itself, and its located on the tunnel under the ac controller. Read the codes to find out just what is causing the problems, and then Google the codes. There are several companies that reprogram/repair the module, about $70.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zr1fred
I think the only sensor is the module itself, and its located on the tunnel under the ac controller. Read the codes to find out just what is causing the problems, and then Google the codes. There are several companies that reprogram/repair the module, about $70.
i am thinking of the impact sensor. a friend had remved my front bumper a few years back and apparently so he says bumped the sensor and thats why my air bag light is on so im trying to find any sensor or whatever may have got bumped while the bumper was off to make the light go on
Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Not at home with the FSM to help with diagnostics. However, starting in 1999 there is no sensor at the front of the car. It (the module) is located in the center console area below the radio/HVAC units. Can look up the SDM info in my FSM later.

Pull your codes as suggested and tell us what you see. Sometimes there is a wiring issue in the "Loop" system that can be fixed. Just a bad ground could also do it.

I assume you are talking about the IPC indication and not the airbag disabled light for the passenger side. This light is just in front of the arm rest in my 2001. Not sure if 2000 had the disable feature in the glove box. I know early C5s did not have that disable feature from the factory.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

There is an inline connector that leads to the steering #12102101 for the 2000+ corvette that you might be thinking of.

2000 had the disable switch in the glove box.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

i pulled the codes and there is no communication with the sdm what can cause that or how do i fix it?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:15 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

No communication means a serial bus issue. That is one wire for each module that all feed to a couple of inner connected star connectors so that everything can talk to each other. The BCM is the "manager" of the serial bus, controls certain functions, and reports issues to the DIC for code identification.

With that said, it could be the SDM module that has failed or possibly the wire or connector at the SDM, star connector, or BCM is the problem. Most likely it is the module. Let me know if I can help further.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dadaroo
No communication means a serial bus issue. That is one wire for each module that all feed to a couple of inner connected star connectors so that everything can talk to each other. The BCM is the "manager" of the serial bus, controls certain functions, and reports issues to the DIC for code identification.

With that said, it could be the SDM module that has failed or possibly the wire or connector at the SDM, star connector, or BCM is the problem. Most likely it is the module. Let me know if I can help further.
how do i check without taking it to the stealership and getting thrown to the wolves?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Do you know how to do basic electrical testing like reading voltages and resistances?

I assume you do not have an FSM.

Also, you never answered my question on the light location in my post #4

I need you to pull and post any DIC codes before we go any further.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Do you know how to do basic electrical testing like reading voltages and resistances?

I assume you do not have an FSM.

Also, you never answered my question on the light location in my post #4

I need you to pull and post any DIC codes before we go any further.
airbag light is on in the instrument cluster and no i do not have a fsm and unsure what a fsm is the codes i have are

u1096
u1064
u1016
c1283
c2120
no comm to sdm
no comm to radio (i installed a double din radio so that is expected)
Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

The FSM is the factory service manual.

I would appreciate it if you would clear/reset all these codes and then go for a drive and then pull them again.

Also can you provide some more info on this statement and what "worked on" means?

my airbag light is on and its been on for 3 years since my car started getting worked on
Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

The FSM is the factory service manual.

I would appreciate it if you would clear/reset all these codes and then go for a drive and then pull them again.

Also can you provide some more info on this statement and what "worked on" means?

my airbag light is on and its been on for 3 years since my car started getting worked on
i have the dash apart and i did clear the codes and drove it before hand i then had no codes except the no comm codes.

getting worked on is a shop has had my car for the past 3 years building the drivetrain.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:37 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

If I understand, the following is all that shows now?

no comm to sdm
Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

If I understand, the following is all that shows now?

no comm to sdm
i got it fixed! and apparently i am a idiot well not totally on me but someone removed the fuse to the sdm and never put it back!! i dunno why i didnt think of even checking fuses im retarded lol so thanx for at least offering to help on that!

Rick
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

That is great.

Believe it or not, that was going to be the next test I was going to ask you to do. That was why I asked about your ability to measure voltage.

The SDM module will show No Comm due to no voltage or failed internals. The SDMs just don't have a history of failing. I doubted it was the outside of those two but it could have a few other things harder to diagnosis.

Which of you two girls owns the car?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

That is great.

Believe it or not, that was going to be the next test I was going to ask you to do. That was why I asked about your ability to measure voltage.

The SDM module will show No Comm due to no voltage or failed internals. The SDMs just don't have a history of failing. I doubted it was the outside of those two but it could have a few other things harder to diagnosis.

Which of you two girls owns the car?
i wish those girls were mine my car isnt even yellow its mag red but i got the pic for the girls in it

Get notified of new replies

To airbag sensor location on a 00 vette?

Quick Reply: airbag sensor location on a 00 vette?