C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Researching new drag tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Researching new drag tires

My 26x11.5-16 Micky Thompson ET Street tires have almost bit the dust. Got my eye on a few even crazier options

Im Mostly interested in the Hoosier Quick Time Pro 28x14.5-16 tires. However, we are talking larger dieter as well as width. Anyone have experience with these? From what Ive seen, there is still a substantial amount of room around my current setup. Im not convinced I have to stay with 26" tall tires. And the width looks like it would be fine too..

I run the 16" CCW drag pack. Not entirely sure what the specs are as I bought it used for a sweet deal.

Other options are staying around 11.5-12" wide and moving up to the 28" tall size. This will give more ripple effect.

Also, I have the Pfadt drag specific coilovers installed. This will allow me to raise the rear a good two inches if needed.

Thoughts?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:01 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

11.5" or 12" wide tire will be pushing it for the CCW 16"x10" wheel. Going with a 28" could hurts times if you are not pushing the RPMs in 4th( M6 ) or 3rd( A4 ). Going with a 28" hurts the initial gear ratio( 1st ) so you would have lower 60' times.

The 26x11.5x16 is really a 10" wide tire. No point in going with a wider tire unless you are spinning out of the hole.

Rather than going with a different tire size, I would suggest a different tire compound. I have had much better results with the M&H Cheater Slick of the MT ET Street.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

I have been looking at the cheater slick too. However, I will be driving to and from the strip (about 30 miles) and they claim to need tubes inside for safe street use. Not sure what that means, but the ET streets have been great on the road. (as long as its dry)

This is whats stated on Summit Racing:

"These M&H Racemaster Cheater drag race slicks are designed to get traction for your high-horsepower street vehicle. These tires are DOT-certified and feature wrinkle wall construction. Cheater slicks require the use of tubes for use on street applications."
Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

M&H makes a 26x12-16 (with a full 12" tread) and is a full slick. Thats over 2 inches more tread than my ET streets and they fit my rim correctly according to the requirements. Undoubtedly it would be a better tire. But Im not sure driving to the track is a good idea on this one. At least if I get pulled over on the ET streets I can show a DOT number. I do want the best possible tire I can get though..

decisions decisions...

FYI: If I am to stick with 26" tall, Hoosiers are out because they dont make less than 28" tall for a 16" rim. I really am hooking fine as the car is now, so 26" tall may be a good idea to stay with. Some soon to be added mods might change that though.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

28" tall tires will hit the front of the fender well.I run 28" tall M&H's and I had to cut the front part of the fender well and push it in.There is a another thread with pics some where.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DRIVER456
28" tall tires will hit the front of the fender well.I run 28" tall M&H's and I had to cut the front part of the fender well and push it in.There is a another thread with pics some where.
Good to know. Im not worried about the inner fender wells. Ive already cut it to install functional brake ducts. If the inner duct needs removed and the well further altered, no biggie. But I only want to move to a 28"tall if it makes sense to do so. Right now my 60' is whats killing me. Like stated by kromberg, if it makes the 60' suffer, Im not too keen on upsizing.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:37 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

A bias ply will hurt mph by 1-2 mph. More rolling resistance.
They are also unstable if you run the pressure too low.

Are you spinning now? If not, then I'd just buy a new set of what you have.

Ask this question in the perf section. The drag racers hang out there.
Even the bad *** guys don't like the 28" tire unless they have low gears out back.

Ron
Old 03-14-2014, 11:28 AM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't even consider running a 28" tire unless I had at least a 4.10 gear. When my 26x11.5x16 ET Streets got thin I bought another set of them as I am happy with the way they perform. If you go to a wider 26" tire you'll have to get a wider rim for it. A few years back I got a set of 26x12x16 M&H slicks for a great price and had them mounted on my CCW's and didn't get a full footprint so I never used them at the track. You really need a 12" wide wheel for them to work right.
The guys I know here on the forum that are getting great 60' times are all running 4.10 gears and most are running 26" tires, either MT's Hoosiers or M&H. You didn't state what gears you're running so I'm assuming that you have 3.42's as I do.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

This is great! Exactly what I needed to know. Sounds like I have about the best possible tires for my rims. (To each their own in brand). I have 3.42's and a 3200 stall converter. Yes an A4 if anyone's wondering.

No I do not have trouble with traction currently. But I will be moving up to a 4000 stall, possibly 4.10's and a 100 shot of laughing gas on top of my 430whp H/C/I/LT build.

Being that these MT tires lasted about two years worth of runs, I want to get what will be the most beneficial for the next year and a half or more. If more of that time will be spent racing with the up coming mods, I may want to move to another tire now.. If its likely I will need 28" tires with 4.10's, should I get them now? I should be doing these mods in a month or so..

Thoughts on this?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:15 PM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeC5
This is great! Exactly what I needed to know. Sounds like I have about the best possible tires for my rims. (To each their own in brand). I have 3.42's and a 3200 stall converter. Yes an A4 if anyone's wondering.

No I do not have trouble with traction currently. But I will be moving up to a 4000 stall, possibly 4.10's and a 100 shot of laughing gas on top of my 430whp H/C/I/LT build.

Being that these MT tires lasted about two years worth of runs, I want to get what will be the most beneficial for the next year and a half or more. If more of that time will be spent racing with the up coming mods, I may want to move to another tire now.. If its likely I will need 28" tires with 4.10's, should I get them now? I should be doing these mods in a month or so..

Thoughts on this?
Since you are running an A4 why don't you do the N20 first and try it out with what you have now. Then if you're not satisfied with your times do the stall and gears at the same time since you'll have it apart anyway and get a set of 28" tires after you try it out with the gears/stall. Make sense?
Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Anthraxmm
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to run the smallest tire you can without giving up 60' times from loss of traction. The smaller the tire the easier it is for your car to get to the big end faster unless you're running out of gear. There's a ton of reallllllly fast guys running 26" narrow tires.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:59 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
A bias ply will hurt mph by 1-2 mph. More rolling resistance.
They are also unstable if you run the pressure too low.

Are you spinning now? If not, then I'd just buy a new set of what you have.

Ask this question in the perf section. The drag racers hang out there.
Even the bad *** guys don't like the 28" tire unless they have low gears out back.

Ron
But man o man can you get out of the hole. Loved my Mickey bias.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Anthraxmm
You want to run the smallest tire you can without giving up 60' times from loss of traction. The smaller the tire the easier it is for your car to get to the big end faster unless you're running out of gear. There's a ton of reallllllly fast guys running 26" narrow tires.
I agree. A 275 is enough tire if the tire is good, and the track is prepped well
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the insight. I think I'll just go with another set of the same tires (ET Streets). Or are the M&H cheater slicks better because they get more tread on the ground with the same dimensions? I just dont know what is meant by the "tubes" required to run them on the street...

Both are 26x11.5-16, but the ET streets have a 9.7" tread, and the cheater slicks have a 10" tread. Not enough to worry about?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZZOOM06
Since you are running an A4 why don't you do the N20 first and try it out with what you have now. Then if you're not satisfied with your times do the stall and gears at the same time since you'll have it apart anyway and get a set of 28" tires after you try it out with the gears/stall. Make sense?
Well the car is ******* out of the hole because the converter is not playing nice with my cam. I have had 1.8xx 60' foot times since before my H/C swap, and now LT's. My ET is decreasing and my MPH increasing. But regardless of power, my 60' stays the same. So the next mod is and must be the converter. I will do gears as well because it will be apart.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 77 Posts

Alot of people swear by the M&H. I haven't tried them but a new set of ET Street bias plys has excellent grip. They lose alot of grip as they wear out. Technically supposed to run tubes on them too, but most people don't. If you want to put tubes on the CCW, I believe you need to drill a new hole for the valve stem and put screws in. I don't wanna do that with mine, they're too pretty!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

I pulled the trigger on a new set of ET streets. Got them both for $438.32. Not too bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Researching new drag tires

Quick Reply: Researching new drag tires