C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

balancer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default balancer question

Does anyone know approx. how many ft lbs of torque it takes to get the balancer bolt 140 degrees ?........
Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 AM
syelenik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default torque

I just torqued mine to 240 ft lbs. Quite high, but that is a spec I found. I took it up a bit at a time, readjusting each time up about 25 ft lbs till I got to 250.

Last edited by syelenik; 03-21-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:50 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

If you are using the stock bolt, torque to a value will get you in trouble and maybe break the bolt. They are a specific torque to value plus 140 degrees to put the right amount of stretch on it.

If you use an ARP bolt, then it can be simply torqued to a value since it is not a one time use that stretches a certain amount.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
If you are using the stock bolt, torque to a value will get you in trouble and maybe break the bolt. They are a specific torque to value plus 140 degrees to put the right amount of stretch on it.

If you use an ARP bolt, then it can be simply torqued to a value since it is not a one time use that stretches a certain amount.

Just install the bolt to the initial torque value. THEN put a dot of paint, nail polish, or a Sharpie at the 12 o'clock position on the head of the bolt. Put a piece of masking tape on the balancer, and put a dot just short of what would be 5 o'clock. Tighten the bolt until the dots are in line.....
Old 03-21-2014, 02:38 PM
syelenik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oops

Well I misread my manual it does say:

Crankshaft Balancer Bolt - Installation Pass-to Ensure the Balancer is Completely Installed 240 lb ft

Crankshaft Balancer Bolt - First Pass - Install a NEW Bolt After the Installation Pass and Tighten as Described in the First and Final Passes 37 lb ft Crankshaft Balancer Bolt - Final Pass 140 degrees

A week ago I torqued it up to 240 with a new bolt. I am sure it seated completely. I did not go to 37 and then 140 degrees. Bolt did not break. Had I only finished reading the two rows in the torque table in the manual after the first one saying to go to 240!

Get notified of new replies

To balancer question

Quick Reply: balancer question