C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC Controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Christee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HVAC Controls

Recently the HVAC control buttons no longer light up at night when headlights are turned on. I figured it was the bulbs.
But now the control buttons for exterior/interior circulation don't work. It defaults to exterior. I can push the interior button and the orange light comes on but the display will still show exterior and the vents still circulate exterior.
The AC/Heat still work great. I have noticed the outside temp takes a little time to catch up also. I believe the day I took those pics the temp was almost 60.
Is this an easy fix or a sign of more issues to come?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Two things: that ext on the display designates external temperature is showing on the display (not that is using external air), and the external temp will always delay. You have to drive the car for it to update. If it updated instantly it would be flashing all the time.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Christee
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Two things: that ext on the display designates external temperature is showing on the display (not that is using external air), and the external temp will always delay. You have to drive the car for it to update. If it updated instantly it would be flashing all the time.
lol well I feel a little dumb for that BUT it caught my attention because it wasn't switching over. At first it wouldn't switch over to interior (wouldn't be lit) then the light for interior would flash. It comes on now but still seems like exterior flow.

I've had this vette for 2 years and there's never been a delay in the temp display but this has been the first crazy cold winter in those 2 years so maybe that makes a difference.

I'll wait and see if it works itself out.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Sometimes the connector to the external temp sensor gets dirty or corroded causing wrong temp readings. That can affect things like heat, a/c, defrost/etc. I'd pull the connector apart and take a look at or clean the contacts to see if that would help. The sensor is mounted under the radiator on the passenger side and the connector is reachable from the top with the hood up.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Christee
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Sometimes the connector to the external temp sensor gets dirty or corroded causing wrong temp readings. That can affect things like heat, a/c, defrost/etc. I'd pull the connector apart and take a look at or clean the contacts to see if that would help. The sensor is mounted under the radiator on the passenger side and the connector is reachable from the top with the hood up.
I'll try that. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC Controls

Quick Reply: HVAC Controls