C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat cushion replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Bob Chapman
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Seat cushion replacement

The seat cushion on the driver's side in my 02 is not very cushy any more. Are there any recommendations on where to get replacement foam cushions? I have a local upholsterer who can install but need a good source for the foam cushion. Found a DJ Motorsports that sells them - anyone use them?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:47 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Gmpartshouse
Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

They are cheap from fullthrottlecorvette on ebay for the whole set for both seats. I can tell you in another week or so how good the foam is. If the seat bottom is bad the surround likely isn't very good either, especially around the left bolster.

Otherwise, DJ has a cheap seat bottom better reinforced and padded. There are mixed reviews on it being too hard or just right though.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 PM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
They are cheap from fullthrottlecorvette on ebay for the whole set for both seats. I can tell you in another week or so how good the foam is. If the seat bottom is bad the surround likely isn't very good either, especially around the left bolster.

Otherwise, DJ has a cheap seat bottom better reinforced and padded. There are mixed reviews on it being too hard or just right though.

I'm subscribed for updates! I'd love to hear your review of the seat foam!

Regards,
KoreaJon
Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I just bought replacement foam from DJ's. Their foam is actually Mid America's foam. It is definitely more firm that the factory foam w/85K on it.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 PM
0Full Throttle Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The foam that we sell is made by Mid America. If you have any questions, give us a call at 770-978-0803.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I also used Mid America for my seat foam and covers
Old 03-26-2014, 06:03 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Check out this thread: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-than-new.html

Be sure to read all three pages of stuff. There are other good ideas, including the use of flexible tubing on the sharp edges of the seat frame to prevent the seat foam from being cut - a key cause of seat slouch.

And while you have your seat removed, you may want to visit the "rocking seat fix" (if you already haven't done this repair). A link to this "how to" write-up follows:
http://www.lieblweb.com/c5seatfix.html

The Lizzard
Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by KoreaJon
I'm subscribed for updates! I'd love to hear your review of the seat foam!

Regards,
KoreaJon

The foam is good. A little different shape than the original but very nice overall. I had to trim some around the seat back hinge but I'd rather have too much then too little. The $275 seat covers from Ebay look pretty nice too.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used the DJs foam also. At my weight (250lbs) the foam feels just right.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 PM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The foam is good. A little different shape than the original but very nice overall. I had to trim some around the seat back hinge but I'd rather have too much then too little. The $275 seat covers from Ebay look pretty nice too.

I appreciate the feedback regarding the foam.

I've vacillated on ordering new foam, but I'm not ~sure~ that I need it. My seat covers are pretty loose...not torn or anything, so I'm not sure if the covers are stretched, or the foam is compressed, or a combination of both.

I bought a set of those covers from the Ebay seller. Although I haven't yet installed the covers (awaiting new lumbar bladders) I am very impressed with the quality of the covers. The stitching is consistent, the material is substantial, and the embroidery is nice. The seller communicated very well, and they even sent some additional foam (at my request) in case I needed to pad some areas of the seat. I plan to do a thread on my seat refurbishment as soon as the bladders get here; I'll be replacing the bladders, maybe some of the foam, installing seat heaters, and fixing the excessive "play" in the seat back. As part of the "extreme interior makeover," I bought new boots for the e-brake, the shifter, the center console arm rest, the grab handle, a new steering wheel cover, and a new gear shift **** cover.

I'll be sure to post before, during, and after pics.

Regards,
KoreaJon
Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 PM
xzo124
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ECKLERS $59.00...xzo
Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Just replaced seat covers with leather from Corvette America (bought through Eckler) with Corvette America foam. On the driver's seat I added the TFS seat repair kit - which added extra foam and protection from the wires in the frame. While I had the seats out I did the rocking chair fix on the driver's side. Everything took about 6 hours. I'm quite happy with the results. Also found a couple of bucks in change when I took the seats out.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Bob Chapman
The seat cushion on the driver's side in my 02 is not very cushy any more. Are there any recommendations on where to get replacement foam cushions? I have a local upholsterer who can install but need a good source for the foam cushion. Found a DJ Motorsports that sells them - anyone use them?
I ordered the foam from DJ. I have not installed it yet, but it looks like a quality piece. I do not think you would be disappointed. He also got the order out very fast. Not sure what seats you have, but he has the sport seat lower foam. If you have a Z06 or non-sport seats he can fill in the area with additional foam.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat cushion replacement

Quick Reply: Seat cushion replacement