C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Lumbar seat motor runs by itself

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:01 PM
childb1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Lumbar seat motor runs by itself

I have a 99 with memory sport seats. The lumbar motor decided to start by itself the other day. I pulled the fuse for the lumbar motor, but the relay was still on in the seat control module (SCM) and drained the battery in a couple of days. So I pulled the SCM module fuse and now the current drain is back to normal but the drivers seat no longer works. I've looked through the threads and I've taken both the SCM and switch module out of the seat and looked for broken solder joints, burned up diodes and bad electrical connectors/broken wires. I didn't find anything that would point to something I could repair on my own. Looks like the SCM 09360841 is hard to find and the switch module is about $150 if you can find one. I was wondering if anyone in the Phoenix/Glibert Arizona area had one or both of these that I could swap out to find which one or both are the culprit. I don't mind paying for the parts, but I don't want to buy a new one if I don't need it. Also wonder if the non-memory module would work in place of the memory module, that would at least allow the seats to work again - I leave the memory turned off so I don't wear out the seat tracks.

Thanks,
Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 PM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of a hack, but maybe a bypass switch to restore the power to the seat when you want to move it.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 967 Likes on 781 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Did you check to see if you have any codes?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 AM
childb1
2nd Gear

With the SCM fuses out it indicates loss of communication - thus no codes. I could put the fuses back in and see what codes it throws. Looking at the 1999 DTC codes I couldn't find anything related to the lumbar pump. It lists seat switch DTC codes, but the seat movement works fine.

Not sure I want to hack another switch into the circuit. I want to fix it right, just need to find someone who has a spare SCM I can substitute to see if that's what I need.

Brian
Old 04-02-2014, 01:15 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I think this can happen if the air bladder in the seat is leaking. I had the pump motor in my passenger's seat start spontaneously kicking on and off last fall and I believe this was the cause. I used the control on the seat to deflate the air bladder and it stopped.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 967 Likes on 781 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

You could try this-
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...nger-seat.html
Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 PM
ralphthedog
Cruising

My drivers side memory seat also went bad. It would pin me against the dash or move all the way backwards. I was able to get the seat into a comfortable driving position and I removed fuse #35. I think it's the seat motor fuse. I am also looking for a replacement seat module 09360841 but can't find any. (For more than a year now) GM stopped making them and I guess no other manufacture makes them. With all the C5 Corvettes out there with this potential problem we may need a large supply of these modules. If you ever find some these modules let me know, I'll keep looking for you too.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 AM
dutch911
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driver & Passenger seat motors same?

Originally Posted by ralphthedog
My drivers side memory seat also went bad. It would pin me against the dash or move all the way backwards. I was able to get the seat into a comfortable driving position and I removed fuse #35. I think it's the seat motor fuse. I am also looking for a replacement seat module 09360841 but can't find any. (For more than a year now) GM stopped making them and I guess no other manufacture makes them. With all the C5 Corvettes out there with this potential problem we may need a large supply of these modules. If you ever find some these modules let me know, I'll keep looking for you too.
I am also having trouble with the drivers seat motor where I've disconnected it. Are Driver & Passenger seat motors same? Can I just swap them?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:14 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by childb1
I have a 99 with memory sport seats. The lumbar motor decided to start by itself the other day. I pulled the fuse for the lumbar motor, but the relay was still on in the seat control module (SCM) and drained the battery in a couple of days. So I pulled the SCM module fuse and now the current drain is back to normal but the drivers seat no longer works. I've looked through the threads and I've taken both the SCM and switch module out of the seat and looked for broken solder joints, burned up diodes and bad electrical connectors/broken wires. I didn't find anything that would point to something I could repair on my own. Looks like the SCM 09360841 is hard to find and the switch module is about $150 if you can find one. I was wondering if anyone in the Phoenix/Glibert Arizona area had one or both of these that I could swap out to find which one or both are the culprit. I don't mind paying for the parts, but I don't want to buy a new one if I don't need it. Also wonder if the non-memory module would work in place of the memory module, that would at least allow the seats to work again - I leave the memory turned off so I don't wear out the seat tracks.

Thanks,

OK, first of all, the SCM has nothing to do with the Lumbar control. Here is the schematic for the Lumbar control. The SCM fuse feeds the SCM and the Lumbar switch which then provides power to the Pump internal controls. The Lumbar fuse provides the actual power for the motor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5ekfnerqt...umbar.pdf?dl=0

Sounds like you have 2 separate issues going on with the seat.

After you absorb this let me know if you need more schematics for the seat. If so I need to know if you have a telescoping steering wheel or not.

If you pull the Lumbar fuse and disconnect the Lumbar switch connector and you have a drain that will prove you have two separate issues.

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To 1999 Lumbar seat motor runs by itself

Quick Reply: 1999 Lumbar seat motor runs by itself