C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Design Can Break The Block

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 AM
dpsmps
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My broke starter went unnoticed for what appeared years due to the clutch soot stained in the crack of the small bolt flange. It was only after I replaced the clutch that the long bolt block mount broke. It may have been knocked some during the transmission removal and install causing some misalignment with a new flywheel then snap. Mine is stock with borla. I wished I had inspected it. I never had any indication at all something was wrong until it broke. The starter I took out looked factory original.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:18 PM
whippit
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC5
Does anyone have the GM/Delco part number for the updated starter? Would like to do some price checking.
I just replaced mine with a part purchased on Amazon from "Discount Starter and Alternator." The part # on the Web site is 6482N, but the part stamped on the starter itself is 6492N. It was $65.90 with free ground shipping. The same exact part is listed at Auto Parts Warehouse for $99.29. These are probably made in China, but what isn't now?

BTW, the Amazon listing has a series of part numbers for the Corvette starter under "Product Description" sub-heading "Replaces."
Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I had this issue with my car as well. Had to have the piece welded back on. Been fine ever since. First time it popped off I just heard the starter motor spinning. Looked under the car and the starter was sagging. Couldn't believe it. Just one more weird C5 issue.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:49 PM
BKH
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by geocor2003
Got an 03 C5 w/Kooks long tubes.Anyone out there put on a starter with just moving the Headers a bit,without taking the header out fully?
Well I'm gonna try & I'll report?!
So how did it go?
I have an 02 with Kooks LT's and my starter died on me a few days ago. Luckily it died in the garage. At least I hope its just the starter. Just grinds and the gear stays engaged in the flywheel. Got it up on jacks, took one look at it and thought "this is not gonna be fun"
Old 09-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

remember the old days when there was a rear support bracket on (I believe) all GM engines
Old 09-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Jono5305
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought another C5 with the same issue. Its currently at the mechanics shop where he will drop the transmission so we can weld the broken piece back in place. I will be going back in with the new design with two long bolts. I do believe it to be correct that this wouldn't be an issue if the bolts are properly torqued but I like the extra sense of security that the starter has a stronger housing vs the old style. I know this dead horse has had the crap beaten out of it but if anyone is interested in pics of the process I'd be happy to post them. We will be making the repair Sunday.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:36 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Jono5305
I just bought another C5 with the same issue. Its currently at the mechanics shop where he will drop the transmission so we can weld the broken piece back in place. I will be going back in with the new design with two long bolts. I do believe it to be correct that this wouldn't be an issue if the bolts are properly torqued but I like the extra sense of security that the starter has a stronger housing vs the old style. I know this dead horse has had the crap beaten out of it but if anyone is interested in pics of the process I'd be happy to post them. We will be making the repair Sunday.
Yes, posting pictures would be nice.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Jono5305
Cruising

Ok repair has been made and as soon as I figure out how to post the pics ill get them on. The car was put back together today and I went by the shop to drop off a new battery, install the exhaust and crank her up (I still have not heard this car run). So with the fresh battery installed I put some fresh gas in it and attempted to fire her up. I turned the key she kicked then I heard a pop and then nothing but the starter spinning. Our first thought was the weld didn't hold. We lifted the car back up expecting to see the block cracked again but it held. We looked and found that we snapped a tooth off of the flywheel. Not really sure what happened at this point but one thing is for certain. Time for a new flywheel lol. Everything turns so the motor isn't locked up. If anyone has an ac Delco part number for the truck starter that fits these cars I would greatly appreciate that info. I want to make sure I have the correct starter. So all on all the rear end is coming down so he can slide everything back to change it out. Hopefully by the end of the week ill finally get to hear her run. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide a part number.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:19 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Flywheel = standard? Have you tried to push or bump start it? It sure sounds like something is binding and fixing the starter just found the next weakest link.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Jono5305
Cruising

Yes it is a standard. It was on the lift and after 5:30 so digging in deeper wasn't an option today. I already felt bad for keeping him after 5. We were able to turn the flywheel with ease so I'm hoping the flywheel was the next weakest point. Either that or I have an issue with the starter but not sure at this point. I believe his plan as of now is to drop the rear end again pull everything back, change out the flywheel or gear ring and before hooking the tube back up try to crank her up. Now that I think about it you bring up a good point. Probably should try to push start to ensure it runs before investing even more money. Thanks for getting my wheels turning. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. Fyi a little more info on it the car has 65xxx miles, mti r1 cam, ls2 intake and Tb, new clutch (not sure on what kind) bigger injectors, and upgraded fuel rails. Thanks again
Old 09-16-2014, 01:31 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If you haven't, I'd at least pull the plugs before trying to crank it again in case it has a coolant leak into a cylinder. But if it looks good then I'd push start it to see if it runs. You may be pulling the engine instead of the other half of the drive train.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 09-16-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:49 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
If you haven't, I'd at least pull the plugs before trying to crank it again in case it has a coolant leak into a cylinder. But if it looks good then I'd push start it to see if it runs. You may be pulling the engine instead of the other half of the drive train.
The same thought crossed my numb skull as I was reading about your incident...be on the safe side and pull the plugs first
Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Jono5305
Ok repair has been made and as soon as I figure out how to post the pics ill get them on. The car was put back together today and I went by the shop to drop off a new battery, install the exhaust and crank her up (I still have not heard this car run). So with the fresh battery installed I put some fresh gas in it and attempted to fire her up. I turned the key she kicked then I heard a pop and then nothing but the starter spinning. Our first thought was the weld didn't hold. We lifted the car back up expecting to see the block cracked again but it held. We looked and found that we snapped a tooth off of the flywheel. Not really sure what happened at this point but one thing is for certain. Time for a new flywheel lol. Everything turns so the motor isn't locked up. If anyone has an ac Delco part number for the truck starter that fits these cars I would greatly appreciate that info. I want to make sure I have the correct starter. So all on all the rear end is coming down so he can slide everything back to change it out. Hopefully by the end of the week ill finally get to hear her run. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide a part number.
AutoZone is where I got mine.

Try DLG9702S
or DLG9947S

Either will work and are the 2 long bolt design.

Both are NEW Delco Remy
Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Jono5305
Cruising

Thanks for all the help and advice and part numbers. We weren't able to do anything today with it with the higher priorities of kids and ball practice. I'll talk to him tomorrow about pulling the plugs. The plan for tomorrow after I get off work is to push start it to make sure its going to crank and run. Well, hopefully we will be push starting it and not just pushing it. I got the flywheel ordered today and should be in tomorrow morning. Hopefully it cranks and runs and ill have it back in my possession by the weekend. The guy I bought it from got all the new adjustable suspension parts to me. He never got around to installing so I have some research to do. Thanks guys
Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 PM
geocor2003
Racer

Originally Posted by BKH
So how did it go?
I have an 02 with Kooks LT's and my starter died on me a few days ago. Luckily it died in the garage. At least I hope its just the starter. Just grinds and the gear stays engaged in the flywheel. Got it up on jacks, took one look at it and thought "this is not gonna be fun"
Did'nt do it yet.But when & do,& I hope I'm not the first one to do it,but looks like I may be ,Ill report!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:04 PM
geocor2003
Racer

Originally Posted by BKH
So how did it go?
BTW,not trying to be a SA,but since it may be your starter, did you change it yet?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:07 PM
BKH
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW,not trying to be a SA,but since it may be your starter, did you change it yet?
Yep, got it swapped. Wasn't that bad. Pulled the coil packs, O2 sensor, plug wires and the header. Replaced it with the Bosch starter. Biggest pain was getting the wiring harness for the 02 sensor secured up and out of the way after the reinstall.

Last edited by BKH; 10-29-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Starter Design Can Break The Block