C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Design Can Break The Block

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Starter Design Can Break The Block

I just learned of this and thought I would share since I have never heard of it on this Forum, but IT IS TRUE.

I don’t like the idea of breaking my block because of this issue. Here is a picture of the new design and a link to the horror stories of the old design. The link inside this one will take you to the pictures of the broken block and others who have had the same problem. GM redesigned the starter to address this issue but have not heard of a recall. I guess they did not have enough warranty failures to justify it.

I have been active in 3 different Forums for 3 years and this is the first I have heard of this. You can think about this every time you turn the key until you look under your car.

The new design takes 2 long bolts due to the larger flange on the starter. This shows the one short bolt installed for comparison.

For the full story:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=208609
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Isn't that what GM would call Job Security?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it that the short bolt design is susceptible to this and not the long bolt design (posted this in another thread that Safari mentioned this in but decided to move it here). Or is the long bolt design still susceptible?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dcollins3208
Why is it that the short bolt design is susceptible to this and not the long bolt design (posted this in another thread that Safari mentioned this in but decided to move it here). Or is the long bolt design still susceptible?
The new starter design has better load resistance/distribution for loads including shear loads. It appears that once the starter begins to break then there are bending moments introduced to break the block tab/mount. GM obvious recognized the design flaw and created this fix.

It is not just one longer bolt per say, but the increased load distribution in the starter that prevents it from breaking. If you look at the two starter designs it is more clear. GM may have increased the block mount in later engine block design also, I am not sure about that.

It is just something that no one wants to happen. I plan to upgrade my car as soon as I can.

Last edited by dadaroo; 04-04-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dadaroo
The new starter design has better load resistance/distribution for shear loads. It appears that once the starter begins to break then there are bending moments introduced to break the block tab/mount. GM obvious recognized the design flaw and created this fix. It is not just one longer bolt per say, but the increased load distribution in the starter that prevents it from breaking. If you look at the two starter designs it is more clear. GM may have increased the block mount in later engine block design also, I am not sure about that. It is just something that no one wants to happen. I plan to upgrade my car as soon as I can.
Yes an upgrade is in the near future for myself as well. I'd rather spend another 150 or so than a couple hundred to a couple thousand
Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Yes an upgrade is in the near future for myself as well. I'd rather spend another 150 or so than a couple hundred to a couple thousand
I have two friends who are doing the same thing. I just wanted to spread the word since in 3 years of following C5 issues this one just became apparent to me. Very cheap insurance indeed.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I'll be checking mine today and replacing it if I have the old design
Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 AM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Been known on LS1Tech for years now. That's taken out a few nice motors that I know of, one being a sleeved 427 LS6 (search LS6427's history on Tech)

He was lucky to get a well-versed welder over to his house and fix it on Jackstands.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:49 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi guys ,just a fyi .

Not sure what a GM starter costs , but I got one of these ,seems well built and tough .

Think Sac city on here are doing them for $170 ish .

Old 04-05-2014, 03:16 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Man this sucks. I hate to spend money on a problem that might happen. Part number of the newer design?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:39 AM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went into the alignment pit while killing time on the forum in the waiting area and discovered this issue. Of course the ls2 crate reused the original ls1 starter.
Just ordered one on the auction place brand new shipped for $62. Pic shows the long bolt version.
Yet another mod that isn't a mod but a preemptive strike.
Now I get to see how much trouble it will be with dynatech long tubes.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I don’t like the idea of breaking my block because of this issue. Here is a picture of the new design and a link to the horror stories of the old design.
Any idea what MY GM went to the new design?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:29 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DanSavage
Any idea what MY GM went to the new design?
Dan, sent you a PM with my number if you want to discuss. Mr. Sam
Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

The reason that the old original design starter causes the problem is because the tab on the short bolt side of the starter is too small and breaks off , causing all of the weight and torque of the starter to be put on the outside long bolt which is located at the outside of the engine block with the threads only being about 3/8 inch from the outside of the block which understandably rips the outside edge off of the block. Sometimes being caused by hydrolock of the engine , but can happen just from a backfire of the engine while starting or just age of a weak starter tab. People will spend thousands for mods that are pretty , why wouldn't you spend a couple hundred dollars to prevent a probable catastrophe to your engine. My car only had 20k. miles and no starter problems and I replaced it with a "brand new" ( Delco Remy sold at Auto Zone Auto Parts Part #989559 DL89702S ) LIFETIME WARRANTY Forgetaboutit !
Old 04-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You mean like THIS???

Repaired in place by a Submarine Nuclear Welder. The Guy had his SHI$ together!!
Borrowed my buddys TIG Welder. When he was done, it was better than new. Didnt even have to helicoil the threaded hole.
The fractured fit part was put back in place, clamped and tac welded. The damaged section was V cut to allow penetration and TIG Welded back on.

Bill
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You mean like THIS???

Repaired in place by a Submarine Nuclear Welder. The Guy had his SHI$ together!!
Borrowed my buddys TIG Welder. When he was done, it was better than new. Didnt even have to helicoil the threaded hole.
The fractured fit part was put back in place, clamped and tac welded. The damaged section was V cut to allow penetration and TIG Welded back on.

Bill
Thank You , I couldn't have described it any better !
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 AM
sunchaser73
Racer

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Been known on LS1Tech for years now. That's taken out a few nice motors that I know of, one being a sleeved 427 LS6 (search LS6427's history on Tech)

He was lucky to get a well-versed welder over to his house and fix it on Jackstands.
Are there any known cases of this happening to the cast iron LQ9 block? Is it a function of the aluminum and/or casting method, or is it purely due to the stress placed on the block due to the starter design?

I read Junkman's epic saga on Digital Corvette...and a few other threads I could find. The common denominator is the aluminum block. I didn't see any cases where this happened to an iron block, so I am curious.

Last edited by sunchaser73; 04-07-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Design Can Break The Block

Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Does anyone have the GM/Delco part number for the updated starter? Would like to do some price checking.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAC5
Does anyone have the GM/Delco part number for the updated starter? Would like to do some price checking.

Also, does anyone have the torque specs for the starter nuts? Specifically the main one that goes from battery>starter>alternator. Mine comes loose ever so often and I am weary of tightening it too tight as I have snapped the stud off (twice ) when it didn't even seem to be tight.

Last edited by Dcollins3208; 04-07-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm wondering how many of these failures happened on engines that have had their original starters removed and/or replaced prior to the failures. If the short sided bolt or both bolts for that matter were not tightened to specs or loosened after installed this would shock the starter bendix housing as well as the mounting boss on the block resulting in the broken parts. I would venture to guess the starter and block broke simultaneously. I'm not advocating against upgrading to the new design starter just trying to understand what could be the root cause in the first place. If not installed with the bolts tightened to specs or loosening I would bet a new design starter may cause the block to fail also.

My starter has never been out so I'm not going to check the torque on the bolts (let sleeping dogs lie) but I did reach down and put a paint mark on the short side bolt where you can see it in the block from above. I'll check it periodically to see if there is any movement.

Quick Reply: Starter Design Can Break The Block