C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side Heat stuck on..

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Passenger side Heat stuck on..

I have a 2000 C5 that seems to have the heat stuck on indefinitely on the passenger side. I was told the A/C just needed to be recharged but go figure it's something worse than that. I "believe" that the driver's side is working fine, as it changes temps but never gets colder than "luke-cold", as in slightly better than lukewarm. The passenger side, however, always blows hot air, no matter what it is adjusted at.

I also noticed that the passenger side **** on the dual climate control doesn't light up like the other lights and doesn't seem to change the temp at all, no matter where I turn it.

The code shown last I checked was: B0446 - Right Actuator out of range.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 968 Likes on 782 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Google "b0446 corvette" there are alot of threads that come up with things you can check
Old 04-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Thanks, I would never have thought of that!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:18 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
I have a 2000 C5 that seems to have the heat stuck on indefinitely on the passenger side. I was told the A/C just needed to be recharged but go figure it's something worse than that. I "believe" that the driver's side is working fine, as it changes temps but never gets colder than "luke-cold", as in slightly better than lukewarm. The passenger side, however, always blows hot air, no matter what it is adjusted at.

I also noticed that the passenger side **** on the dual climate control doesn't light up like the other lights and doesn't seem to change the temp at all, no matter where I turn it.

Well..thats your problem. You can try resetting the code with the dic or disconnecting the battery and maybe get a temporary fix. Ultimately it will need to be replaced. Since you stated it is also not as cool as it should be on the driver side you may also need to recharge or top off the freon but the heat on the passenger side it due to the bad actuator.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:19 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

I was guessing that the warm air on the driver's side was due to the heat mixing in from the right side? Or do they not mix at all?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:28 AM
BrianAgar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sensor

Birdman, does the thermostat readout show an "EXT" when you try to control the temp?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrianAgar
Birdman, does the thermostat readout show an "EXT" when you try to control the temp?
No sir. The left **** I can feel a difference when I switch between hot and cold..but the right **** doesn't seem to do anything at all and isn't even lit up.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The lighting issue is most likely totally unrelated. The accuator sounds like is the core issue. Sometimes they just get hung up with dust and debri especially if you rarely use the **** to work the divertor.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

I tried pulling the fuse 27 and seeing if that fixed anything but it didn't.

Taking apart the dash and I noticed this on the HVAC connector, is that red wire supposed to be like that? It's spliced into a brown wire.

Name:  xZQFYim.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  615.5 KB
Old 04-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Ok so I found the actuator and pulled it out. Took it apart and even though one of the big gears is starting to get a crack, it isn't completely cracked through.. However when I hooked it back up to the car to watch what it does when I turn on the HVAC, it doesn't do anything at all. Doesn't respond one bit. No noises or anything.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Ok so I found the actuator and pulled it out. Took it apart and even though one of the big gears is starting to get a crack, it isn't completely cracked through.. However when I hooked it back up to the car to watch what it does when I turn on the HVAC, it doesn't do anything at all. Doesn't respond one bit. No noises or anything.
Bump...
Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I can't help with the actuator problem, but the passenger side **** should not change anything on the display. The driver's side will change the temp on the display and the passenger side will vary that side up and down slightly, but will not change anything on the display. Once you get the actuators working, you'll probably be ok on the other stuff.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Ls3 adventures
Intermediate

Same thing happened to me, I got the B0446 code and I tore apart the dash and got to the actuator, upon opening it I also noticed a cracked gear but I also hae a resistor that looked to be fried on the board, I went ahead and bought a new actuator and it fixed the problem.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ls3 adventures
Same thing happened to me, I got the B0446 code and I tore apart the dash and got to the actuator, upon opening it I also noticed a cracked gear but I also hae a resistor that looked to be fried on the board, I went ahead and bought a new actuator and it fixed the problem.
Was yours making any sort of movement or noise when you had it hooked up to the connector though? Mine doesn't do anything at all.. maybe it's a resistor like yours, but none of them look bad to me.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Ls3 adventures
Intermediate

Was yours making any sort of movement or noise when you had it hooked up to the connector though? Mine doesn't do anything at all.. maybe it's a resistor like yours, but none of them look bad to me.
Mine did absolutely nothing and made no noise at all, after I plugged it the new actuator it immediately started moving and re-indexing itself
Old 04-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Thanks! That gives me hope.

Where did you buy yours from? I ordered from Rock Auto
Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Ls3 adventures
Intermediate

Thanks! That gives me hope.

Where did you buy yours from? I ordered from Rock Auto
Yep that's where I got mine, I'm not sure if it will fix your problem but I hope it does!!
Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 PM
DGFORCE
3rd Gear

I just reset/cleared my HVAC codes and it works perfect

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger side Heat stuck on..

Quick Reply: Passenger side Heat stuck on..