C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Rear Tires, Mixing Run Flats with non Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:33 AM
drseth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Rear Tires, Mixing Run Flats with non Run Flats

Hi,

My rear Goodyear Run Flats are about used up and noisy, with 3/64" left, but the front Run Flats are 7/64". Can I mix RunFlats with Non-Run Flats?

I am thinking about buying some Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 on the rear, keeping the Run Flat Goodyear on the front until they wear down more.

Opinions, please!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

DO NOT mix RUNFLATS and NON RUNFLAT The handling characterics of each tire is different and may cause weird handling issues. Your OEM runflats are so hard and aged that when you get some NEW tires on it, you will kick your self and say, WOW! Why did I wait so long?

The quietness and better handling will IMMEDIATELY be felt!!!

Oh,, Almost forgot to recommend,,, Dont let the tire place over pressurize the tires after there installed. They should fill them to 30 PSI COLD. A lot of shops fill them to a lot more than the recommended pressure.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:11 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
DO NOT mix RUNFLATS and NON RUNFLAT The handling characterics of each tire is different and may cause weird handling issues.

You will have a rigid side wall tire up front and a softer, more flexible side wall in the back. That will make for some interesting road feel. I used to run like that when I would drive back on forth to the drag strip. I would have runflats up front and drag radials in the rear. Cornering had a weird feel.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Rear Tires, Mixing Run Flats with non Run Flats

Quick Reply: Need Rear Tires, Mixing Run Flats with non Run Flats