C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering column coupler to rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:55 AM
syelenik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steering column coupler to rack

Can someone turn their steering wheel straight and look in left tire well and tell me the orientation of the head of the bolt on the coupler that attaches to steering rack? Example 12 oclock or 3 oclock etc as looking from the rear down the shaft as if you were at firewall looking down and forward. I am trying to see if rack rebuilder did not clock the gear properly during reassembly. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:16 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi bud

If sitting in the drivers seat the head of the bolt is at 12 o`clock.

I can see the complete top face of the bolt if I look down between the alternator and power steering pulleys when stood in front of drivers
headlamp .

Oh and just incase you don't know, torque that bolt , it can feel tight if you just crank on it but might not be enough to pinch the shaft in the coupler which you feel up at the steering wheel ,lots of play with a clonk .
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM
syelenik
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Nitro, Thanks so much going out to look now. Any confirmation from others also appreciated. This will help me to know if the rack was not clocked properly when rebuilt or someone steering wheel for the lock TSB and didn't clock the steering wheel. Stephan
Old 04-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 968 Likes on 782 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I can see the same looking down
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 PM
syelenik
Intermediate

Default second look

I see 11:30 to 12:00, but the 12:00 is where it was at before we compensated the alignment (not the right thing to do, it was temporary). This is beginning to affirm someone like a stealership removed the steering wheel for the steering lock disable TSB years ago and the prior owner from me and did not put the steering wheel on as originally clocked or oriented. As opposed to a problem with rebuild and orientation of the gear in the rack/box. Any additional observations that aren't inconvenient are helpful. Thank you guys. Great forum.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by NITRO UK
Hi bud

Oh and just incase you don't know, torque that bolt , it can feel tight if you just crank on it but might not be enough to pinch the shaft in the coupler which you feel up at the steering wheel ,lots of play with a clonk .
Mine doesn't pinch the shaft then because I can literally push it side to side and get a clonk. been like that for years...I have taken the rack off a few times and everytime I tighten that bolt up I still have lots of slop..
Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Mine doesn't pinch the shaft then because I can literally push it side to side and get a clonk. been like that for years...I have taken the rack off a few times and everytime I tighten that bolt up I still have lots of slop..
That's what mine does to. Slop

Get notified of new replies

To steering column coupler to rack

Quick Reply: steering column coupler to rack