C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 quarts of trans fluid???????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 AM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

Default 16 quarts of trans fluid???????????????

I called a place here in town to change my fluid to amsoil fluid and he said it takes 16 quarts because the BG machine flushes it and it takes 16 quarts to fill up the machine and as it pumps it pumps back out some of the new fluid. im not naïve or ignorant but doesn't a 6 speed tranny take 3.8 quarts??????????
Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 AM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something around 4 quarts. I just drain mine, and use the squirt bottle (mine's RP Synchromax) I had some extra, so I let a little bit of the new drain out till it gets cleaner looking to get a bit of a flush.

But 16 quarts?

Last edited by adamgl; 05-02-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

He was talking about an auto not a manual.
Chris
Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 AM
c4gone
Drifting

yeah and I told him its a 6 speed and he said it still requires 16 quarts for the machine. I wasn't trying to argue with him so I just called the dealership where I work, which is chevy and they said its an easy swap. I was starting to wonder. good thing I work at a chevy dealer
Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Meta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to "power flush" a 6 speed manual tranny. The guy is either ignorant or ripping you off and pocketing the extra 3 gallons of tranny fluid. Just order a gallon from Amsoil and the pump to pump it into the tranny. It's a 15 minute job with a lift or a bit longer in the driveway with ramps. Drive the car up the ramps on the rear wheels, open the drain plug and drain into a pan. Lower the car off the ramps after you move the drain pan forward. It's actually easier on an incline driveway as you don't have to take the car all the way off the ramps to get it the car to level to drain all the fluid and you can still get yourself back under the car to pump in new fluid at the fill plug. If you're comfortable doing an oil change in your driveway, you can do a fluid change.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:49 PM
c4gone
Drifting

yeah that's what I was thinking because I called him back and told him its a 6 speed and he still was dead set. I work at a chevy dealer and theyre doing the job right now for like pennies.

thanks for all the help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To 16 quarts of trans fluid???????????????

Quick Reply: 16 quarts of trans fluid???????????????