C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Kagnus
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default A/C Troubleshooting

2000 C5 45k

When I got the car it hadn't been driven much within the previous 2 years or so. A/C System blew cold for a couple of weeks until it got warm. Filled the system, made it cold, slowly got warm again. Decided messing with it too much wasn't in the budget at that point.

Today I injected some dye and filled the low side to 24-26 PSI and turned the system on. Pressure on the low side does not change. I'm assuming the high side is not pressurizing. Compressor turns on and spins, no screeching. Air is still warm. Reset my DTC codes. No change

Codes thrown are:

B1016 -Loss of communication with PCM
U1064 -Loss of communication with BCM
U1096 -Loss of communication with IPC

Last edited by Kagnus; 05-02-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Kagnus
2000 C5 45k

When I got the car it hadn't been driven much within the previous 2 years or so. A/C System blew cold for a couple of weeks until it got warm. Filled the system, made it cold, slowly got warm again. Decided messing with it too much wasn't in the budget at that point.

Today I injected some dye and filled the low side to 24-26 PSI and turned the system on. Pressure on the low side does not change. I'm assuming the high side is not pressurizing. Compressor turns on and spins, no screeching. Air is still warm. Reset my DTC codes. No change

Codes thrown are:

B1016 -Loss of communication with PCM
U1064 -Loss of communication with BCM
U1096 -Loss of communication with IPC
Is the passenger side cold vs the driver side? Possible issue with blend door actuators.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:01 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably needs O-rings, which means you also would need a new orifice tube, dryer (with appropriate amount of replacement oil), vacuum down on the system, and charged to the correct weight of refrigerant.

Hopefully, the system hasn't been "compromised" the last two years, sitting with moisture in the lines, which may affect the compressor's longevity.

You need to "borrow" a shop's sniffer after a charge and try to determine where any leaks are coming from to pinpoint a problem. The dye can help locate it, but only if you can see it. This helps when checking the evaporator which is deep in the dash.

Last edited by Smokin Joe; 05-07-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Kagnus
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Got uid0
Is the passenger side cold vs the driver side? Possible issue with blend door actuators.
Neither side is cold...

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Troubleshooting

Quick Reply: A/C Troubleshooting