C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking Noise from Sun Visors???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 12:30 AM
RED Coupe
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clicking Noise from Sun Visors???

Anyone else hearing clicking noise from their Sun Visors. My driver side visor emits an annoying click sound which I cannot eliminte. It's coming from the plastic vanity mirror cover. The cover isn't loose, nor misalligned yet I get this dam clicking. I tried using silicon spay on the hinges to no avail. Any suggestions????
Old 07-21-2002, 02:13 AM
blader
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors??? (RED Coupe)

I have a convertible and both visors make clicking sounds occasionally when they are in the full up position. I move them down a bit to level so they don't obstruct the view, but are unable to bang against whatever makes the noise. This seems to consistently work for me.

-Michael
Old 07-21-2002, 11:44 AM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I am getting that annoying sound too. Wasn't sure if it's the visors, or if the roof has to be tightened up. Noise is the same whether the clear or painted top is on. Car has only 1800 miles on it. Very annoying. Guess I 'll go out for another drive to see if I can isolate it a little better.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:23 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Default Re: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors??? (Airwilf)

I have a Coupe and originally thought it was from coming from flex in the Plexiglass top. So I put the solid top on the the same noise occures. After much touching/pressing/silicon spraying etc, etc, and driving my wife crazy, I now am convinced its the sun visor. If I move it down or up the noise subsides. If left in normal position the dam vanity mirror cover somehow makes the noise. I would prefer to get this solved rather than have to drive with the visor in a halfway position. I know this is a relatively minor isue but still eager to hear of someone with a solution...thanks.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:35 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very common problem. The sunshade is vibrating on its pivot rod. Had the same noise and it took me long to find out whats wrong. The Service Manual advices to replace the sunshade, but the problem is that the rod from the sunshade is to small, so it doesnt sit tight.

When you apply pressure to the sunshade pivot rod and the noice will disappear, you found the problem.

I took black tape and warped it around the rod - No more noice.

Jochen

[Modified by Jochen, 12:36 PM 7/21/2002]
Old 07-21-2002, 02:46 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Default Re: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors??? (Jochen)

Thank you Jochen. Question; how did you get the tape on the rod to contact the visor and create more friction? I mean how did you get the visor to pivot on the taped section?
Old 07-21-2002, 03:23 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Well, the reason for the noise is that the rod is to small in diameter so it starts to vibrate in the hold. When you wrap a tape around the rod (maybe a few times) you increase the diameter of the rod and the rod sits more tight.

Hope i got the point

Jochen
Old 07-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Went out for a drive after I posted a reply earlier this morning. Tried the visors in various positions, including even firmly holding on to them, one at a time, but am still getting the clicking noised.Now I'm aslo confused along with peeved. It sure sounds like the tops, but can't pin it down-yet. Thanx for the info & remedies , gang
Additional note: I have a box of assorted automotive tubing & hoses of various diameters. I may cut a short piece, split it & try to slide it over the tube & part way into the visor to see what that does. Will let you know

[Modified by Airwilf, 2:37 PM 7/21/2002]
Old 07-21-2002, 10:03 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Tried the tape trick this afternoon. No dice. Clicking still there. Took the top off & went for a cruise. NO clicking or rattles of any kind. Will have to figure out how to tighten up the roof a little bit i guess.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:11 PM
Sam Lin
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors???

If it's a coupe or convertible, 3 clams says it's the top latch. Unlatch it, put a tiny dab of grease on the metal plate, spread it over the plate everywhere the latch contacts, and relatch.

Sam
Old 07-22-2002, 12:17 AM
RED Coupe
Racer

Default Re: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors??? (Sam Lin)

Sam, It's not caused by the top nor the latches. I get the same noise with or without the top on. Its coming from the vanity cover on the visor.

Old 07-22-2002, 11:38 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Had the same problem; it was not the rod. The visor has internal "stuff" that was making noise. I used a wooden dowel to push some foam rubber into the visor (small openning at the end) and it helped. :rolleyes:
Old 07-22-2002, 11:45 AM
RED Coupe
Racer

Default Re: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors??? (carpe dm)

Thanks for the suggestion Carpe DM. You have it right, when I tap the visor I can hear clicking coming from inside the visor. I'll try stuffing some foam rubber inside as you recommend and see what happens...thanks.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:20 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I had the same visor rod clicking problem AND the top clicking problem. I solved the visor problem as described already with black tape. The top (I have both tops) was solved by a combination of foam tape applied on mounting surfaces of the tops, and by dropping the tops' front mounting brackets to their lowest positions. This sucks the front of the tops lower than I'd like, but the clicking noises are essentially gone.
Gene
Old 07-22-2002, 02:37 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Default Re: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors??? (Hoonose)

I haven't tried the "stuffing foam inside" trick yet but I'm still confused by the suggestions I've heard about using black tape. How do you get the tape around the rod and yet under the visor? Seems to me you have to somehow remove the visor from the rod to get tape around the pivot points. True?
Old 07-22-2002, 03:50 PM
Jochen
Drifting

RED Coupe, not shure if the tape will solve your problem.

Here how to do: When you look to the sunshade (sitting on the driver seat, shade down), you just have to pull the right side of the shade where the rod is sticking in a little holding clip (hope my english is good enough, dont know the exact word for that clip). Acctually this is the same procedure you would do when protecting the driver when the sun comes from the left side. After getting the sunshade loose on one side (the left side is still attached) just wrap the tape around the rod and pull the shade back into position.

There are two more posibilities the Service Manual is talking about:

1. Problem: "BUZZ from the sunshade"
Cause: "The sunshade mirror light lense is loose"
Correction: "Road test while applying pressure to the lens to stop the noise" - "Remove lense" - "Place a small piecve of foam in the lens opening" - "Reinstall lense"

Guess this is what carpe dm was talking about.

2. Problem : "Rattle from the sunshade in the UP position"
Cause : "The roof latsch handle is on a angle allowing contact with the sunshade
Correction : "Road test, reposition the sunshade and listen for the noise to stop" - "Check the latch handle and the mirror cover for signs of contact" - "Adjust the latch handle to be parralel to the strikler. be shure to retain the same locking pressure"

Hope this helps

Jochen
Old 07-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Jim Kramer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is doing this too... wth???? I have been hanging around here for 1.5 years, and never heard anyone complaining about this... now all of the sudden it starts happening to the masses...??? I think it's time for a TSB... GM, are you listening? :-D

I am going to see if I can make them replace the visors... it's ANNOYING!!! :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking Noise from Sun Visors???

Old 07-22-2002, 07:23 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Default Re: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors??? (VetteMan2k1)

VetteMan2k1, please let us know how you make out. I agree, I find this really annoying. I kept thinking it was from the key pod swinging against the dash, then I thought it was the roof latches. As we now all know, its from the visor. Minor, but still real annoying.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:10 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

OK guys I finally fixed it !!! It was the roof along as i suspected. Took a thin piece of cardbord, about the thickness of a cigarette package, tore off 2 pieces, folded them in half. Undid the latches without removing the roof & slid one ofthem in between each latch & lock assembly of the roof.Re-latched the roof latches, went for a drive. NO RATTLERS OR SQUEAKS !!Came home, removed the carboard pieces. Took my roof off, & then took a 10mm wrwench, loosened the female latch fittings on the windshield header & moved them UPWARDS. One end of the female fitting is slotted for adjustment purposes. Moved each fitting upwards, retightened the 10 mm bolts, reinstalled the top & went for a test drive. No more squeaks or rattles. Quiet as a church on Monday morning. Would take pics & show how i did it, but am a rookie on posting pics & having a few problems. Now that all is quiet, it reminds me that I really should put on a better exhaust system so I can hear the car!! If you need anymore info, email me & I can give you my phone #. The whole adjustment process took all of 3 minutes. No noise from my visors that I could detect.

[Modified by Airwilf, 8:13 PM 7/22/2002]
Old 07-22-2002, 11:41 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Default Re: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors??? (Airwilf)

Wilf, its sounds like we may be chasing two sources of this noise. One from the top latchs as you are confirming, and on from the visors as I'm experiencing(not resolved yet). I can tell you I get the noise with/without the top on the car. I get it to stop only by holding the visor or fussing with the vanity mirror cover which stops the noise, but only for short time.

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise from Sun Visors???