C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need your LS1 Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:41 PM
BrianAgar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your LS1 Help

I have a 98 LS1 and I want to start upgrading. Since the business wont return my call, do any of you know if these additions will fit?

1. Lingenfelter Heads that were ported and polished and had Ferrea valve springs, retainers, locks, etc installed. They came off a 2008 Corvette Z06 and only have 2k miles on them. heads are still super clean, and have no wear or tear on them at all. These are the same heads that come in Lingenfelters 660hp package!

2. Magnuson Magnacharger for 04 05 06 GTO. All fit any LS1 LS6 LS2 LS7 or 5.3 4.8 6.0 camaro Silverado gto ss trans am firebird firehawk. the current configuration makes about 6 pounds of boost, however it can be modified to make up to 15 or 16 pounds of boost with different Pulley configurations.

4. What cam would you recommend?

Thanks to everyone who can shed confident light on this build. I am jumping at the opportunity if viable for my build, as I can get all parts 1/2 + off on price.

Thanks again,
Brian

Last edited by BrianAgar; 05-14-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:05 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How many miles are on it?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:05 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Those heads are for the LS7 7.0 or 427, too big for your LS1.

Not sure about the magnacharger, you need to know if the port that go to your intake ports on your heads are cathedral, vs the rectangle style of the LS3 and LS7 engines, plus you will have to buy a special hood to fit over that supercharger.

The fast 102, if it has cathedral ports, I would think it would be fine.

You do know if you put on a magnacharger, you would not need a intake anymore, as it takes up that space and has one part of the unit?

Or maybe you are just not sure what direction you want.

I have had my 1999 Corvette for 11 years now, still stock, since getting it many options for upgrades have changed, now there are quite a few options.

You could get a A & A supercharger, it mounts in front of the engine, no need for a new hood, and I believe it costs less, it makes power more in the mid to upper RPM range, with that you could still use that FAST 102 intake.

Of course you could use the LS1 intake and still make good power.

What do you want to do with the car, race, or just have some power for fun while driving around?

There are many choices for heads, buy a new set like Trick Flow or AFR, or other brands, send your factory heads of for CNC porting and save some $$.

You are going to want to upgrade to longtube headers and high flow cats, maybe better mufflers too, may need bigger injectors, then if you have a automatic trans, it may need to be upgraded to handle the extra power, or better clutch if 6 speed, then the output shafts in the differential need to be upgraded.

Before you know it, you are changing a lot of parts, and big $$$, I guess that is another reason I still hold off on doing mods, it seems you need to plan all the mods to work together, if you only put in a cam, and leave the rest alone, it's not much of a improvement, or just a FAST 102, they all work together.

What is funny, all the years I have thought of doing mods and when I think I have the setup picked out I want, something new comes out that changes it all.

This past September I read where someone here sent his factory LS1 heads to a place called Advanced Induction, to have them ported, and bump up the compression, also adding a performance cam, I think LS6 intake, maybe it was a FAST intake, headers, better fuel injectors, I think a Vararam air intake, upgraded valvetrain to work with new cam, other stuff, and it woke the car up quite a bit.

It was more of a budget build and not built to be the biggest/baddest thing, just something with more power and fun, without getting way expensive.

I liked that, and shifted my thoughts of a supercharger for having my factory heads reworked and CNC ported, put on a LS6 intake, a cam and valavetrain to match, headers, etc.

Of course I still think of supercharging, or getting a crate LS7 engine, or better yet, a ERL built LS 454 short block, it's like a kid in a candy store!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM
BrianAgar
Intermediate

Default Miles on what?

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
How many miles are on it?
My LS1 has 150k, so I'm rebuilding my dream street racer. The heads have 2k.The intake and TB are new. I'm checking on the charger, or I'll buy new.

I have a Vararam intake, LS7 MAF, an Ls2 timing chain, Z06 2 piece oil pan, 3.73 gears, and freashly rebuilt 4L60E, but it'll need to be built up. Also, the breaks, exhaust, and interior are done.

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, 150K on that motor, I would NOT supercharge a motor with that many miles. The car is worth maybe $10K in it's current form and there are several parts no longer made for the traction control/active handling systems if they give up the ghost (probably right after you drop a load of $$$ in it). I think it's better if you get that one running well in stock form first, especially if your having to drop a few on the trans. I wouldn't send tons of $$$ on this car. You can get stock C6's with 100 more HP than this car, more if you go with a Z06.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:56 PM
BrianAgar
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
Those heads are for the LS7 7.0 or 427, too big for your LS1.

Not sure about the magnacharger, you need to know if the port that go to your intake ports on your heads are cathedral, vs the rectangle style of the LS3 and LS7 engines, plus you will have to buy a special hood to fit over that supercharger.

The fast 102, if it has cathedral ports, I would think it would be fine.

You do know if you put on a magnacharger, you would not need a intake anymore, as it takes up that space and has one part of the unit?

Or maybe you are just not sure what direction you want.

I have had my 1999 Corvette for 11 years now, still stock, since getting it many options for upgrades have changed, now there are quite a few options.

You could get a A & A supercharger, it mounts in front of the engine, no need for a new hood, and I believe it costs less, it makes power more in the mid to upper RPM range, with that you could still use that FAST 102 intake.

Of course you could use the LS1 intake and still make good power.

What do you want to do with the car, race, or just have some power for fun while driving around?

There are many choices for heads, buy a new set like Trick Flow or AFR, or other brands, send your factory heads of for CNC porting and save some $$.

You are going to want to upgrade to longtube headers and high flow cats, maybe better mufflers too, may need bigger injectors, then if you have a automatic trans, it may need to be upgraded to handle the extra power, or better clutch if 6 speed, then the output shafts in the differential need to be upgraded.

Before you know it, you are changing a lot of parts, and big $$$, I guess that is another reason I still hold off on doing mods, it seems you need to plan all the mods to work together, if you only put in a cam, and leave the rest alone, it's not much of a improvement, or just a FAST 102, they all work together.

What is funny, all the years I have thought of doing mods and when I think I have the setup picked out I want, something new comes out that changes it all.

This past September I read where someone here sent his factory LS1 heads to a place called Advanced Induction, to have them ported, and bump up the compression, also adding a performance cam, I think LS6 intake, maybe it was a FAST intake, headers, better fuel injectors, I think a Vararam air intake, upgraded valvetrain to work with new cam, other stuff, and it woke the car up quite a bit.

It was more of a budget build and not built to be the biggest/baddest thing, just something with more power and fun, without getting way expensive.

I liked that, and shifted my thoughts of a supercharger for having my factory heads reworked and CNC ported, put on a LS6 intake, a cam and valavetrain to match, headers, etc.

Of course I still think of supercharging, or getting a crate LS7 engine, or better yet, a ERL built LS 454 short block, it's like a kid in a candy store!
Your absolutely spot on. It's about having fun and building your own. A LS7 is tempting, but I can not give up my C5. Don't like the C6, and I'll never afford a C7; nor would I want to. You've also made a ton of great points and info. My ultimate goal is a 9 sec (8.7-9.3) automatic C5 as a daily driver and street car. Good ideas in the A&A. I'll step it up to a new charger and forget the intake (I was thinking of quick change options for different race styles).

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a very helpful response. Is it okay if I send you a pm for future advice?

Last edited by BrianAgar; 05-14-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:39 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Sure, but I'm no expert, this is a lot of what I have read here on Corvetteforum, plus remember my car is still stock.

You should go into the forced induction area and read, seems A and A or East Coast are the 2 popular choices for centrifugal superchargers.

I think I read you can keep the engine factory stock, and run the stock exhaust and still make good power.

As someone else mentioned, you need to really check out your engine before slapping one of these on.

Get notified of new replies

To I need your LS1 Help

Quick Reply: I need your LS1 Help