C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to run tpms?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Do I have to run tpms?

Put new wheels on but they have c6 tpms sensors in them. Start the car and DIC pops up left front, flat left rear flat ect... then says reduced handling 55mph maximum. Is there a way around this or do I need to have tires dismounted and correct sensors installed? Kind of a p.i.t.a. cause tires are 25 and 30 series and a biotch to mount and dismount so was hoping put off for a while.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:31 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It shouldn't say that you have a flat...It should read either blank or xxx.....
Do you have the old sensors in the vicinity of the car? Your receiver may still be picking up the signal from those.
But to answer your question, no you don't have to run sensors, but if you don't then you will have to press reset every time you start your car to clear the warning message.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:52 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

I have upgraded my tpms receiver to the 2001-2004 one. I did have the sensors within range so probably picked them up. Will try clearing codes and moving sensors away. I do plan on having the sensors installed just was hoping I didn't have to do it immediately.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:05 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a separate set of wheels for the drag strip without sensors. Its fine to run without them. You just have to hit the reset button to clear the warning. Its not something thats going to make the car go in to limp mode or anything.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NukeC5
I run a separate set of wheels for the drag strip without sensors. Its fine to run without them. You just have to hit the reset button to clear the warning. Its not something thats going to make the car go in to limp mode or anything.
Sweet, I don't mind hitting reset for a little while or at least until I get around to putting my buddy (mrr23) with the tire/alignment shop through hell dismounting and mounting my tires....again
Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
Sweet, I don't mind hitting reset for a little while or at least until I get around to putting my buddy (mrr23) with the tire/alignment shop through hell dismounting and mounting my tires....again
Yay thanks.... can't wait. :P I have no sensors in my wheels. Your car was picking up the old ones.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 AM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't get Lumbergh started on those TPMS reports....
Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrr23
Yay thanks.... can't wait. :P I have no sensors in my wheels. Your car was picking up the old ones.
LOL… I knew you'd be excited for that job I figure i'll let the PITA tire mounting memories fade a bit before showing up with beer or pizza or beer and pizza and a set of wheel sensors

Get notified of new replies

To Do I have to run tpms?

Quick Reply: Do I have to run tpms?