C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and need help!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Billy_R
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and need help!

Billy_R here in Middleburg, FL

I need help with my problem with my 1997 C5 passengers power seat. I have the seat out and have checked everything. All three motors are working as they should. I have the standard power seats. The seat does move up and down as it should. The control module is good. (I have two and both work on the drivers seat. The control switch is good. Works on another seat. My problem... It was hard getting out since it was all the way back covering the bolts and would not move. The switch will move the seat forward about 1/2 inch and will go back the 1/2 inch. I removed the two drive shafts from the motor that moves seat forward and backwards and motor is working. If I take the two set screws out on the bottom of the rail I can move the seat about 2 inches and then it stops. I don't see anything jamming up the rails? Any ideas?
I have the seat on my work bench and using 12VDC from a portable power source.
Bill
Old 05-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Billy_R
8th Gear

Default Moe help!

I found the problem, but?

One side of the seat rails is jammed or threads stripped. I disconnected the drive to that side and all works.

1. Will the seat move forward and back with only one side hooked up?
2. I have looked but can not find a worm gear for sale?
3. Also, need to know how to open up the rail in order to get to the gear?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Billy_R

Originally Posted by Billy_R
Billy_R here in Middleburg, FL

I need help with my problem with my 1997 C5 passengers power seat. I have the seat out and have checked everything. All three motors are working as they should. I have the standard power seats. The seat does move up and down as it should. The control module is good. (I have two and both work on the drivers seat. The control switch is good. Works on another seat. My problem... It was hard getting out since it was all the way back covering the bolts and would not move. The switch will move the seat forward about 1/2 inch and will go back the 1/2 inch. I removed the two drive shafts from the motor that moves seat forward and backwards and motor is working. If I take the two set screws out on the bottom of the rail I can move the seat about 2 inches and then it stops. I don't see anything jamming up the rails? Any ideas?
I have the seat on my work bench and using 12VDC from a portable power source.
Bill
Old 05-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Billy_R
8th Gear

Default What did I do now?

I removed passenger seat on my 97 C5 and restored the seat rails. Got all working and replaced shims.
Now it moves in reverse. When I push switch forward the seat goes back and when I push switch back it goes forward? I did not touch the wiring so voltage is not reversed. Did I installed the worm gears on wrong tracks? About the only thing I can think of since I did not touch the wiring. The up and down part of the switch works as it should.

Bill

Originally Posted by Billy_R
I found the problem, but?

One side of the seat rails is jammed or threads stripped. I disconnected the drive to that side and all works.

1. Will the seat move forward and back with only one side hooked up?
2. I have looked but can not find a worm gear for sale?
3. Also, need to know how to open up the rail in order to get to the gear?

Thanks in advance.
Billy_R
Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Yup, the screws are on the wrong sides.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Billy_R
8th Gear