C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F45 delete failure on my 98

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Default F45 delete failure on my 98

Went through the F45 delete procedure at a shop with Scan II. It would not recognize the F45 option for a 97 or 98. If you selected 99 or 2000 model year, it recognized F45 as an option, so as a result, we were unable to deprogram the F45. Could the issue be a Scan II needing and upgrade. Not sure why it would not recognize the RPO F45 option for 97 or 98. Any thoughts or suggestions? I do have the resistors as a back up option, but would really like to de-select F45. Thanks for any help. Zuti
Old 05-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
What is a SCAN II???? Another name for the GM TECH II??? Or a competing product????
Sorry - I meant Tech 2.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:30 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

OP, did you get any resolution on this? Tried to delete F45 on a 1998 yesterday without success.

I was able to access the RPO for F45 with the Tech 2. We just had to answer the Z49 question (Canadian), and I tried it using Yes and No. However when I got there it would not let me do anything. The soft keys it told me to use just did nothing.

His 1998 path/directions were different than my 2001 since when I get to the RPO selections with my car I am directed to make them with the ENTER key.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
OP, did you get any resolution on this? Tried to delete F45 on a 1998 yesterday without success.

I was able to access the RPO for F45 with the Tech 2. We just had to answer the Z49 question (Canadian), and I tried it using Yes and No. However when I got there it would not let me do anything. The soft keys it told me to use just did nothing.

His 1998 path/directions were different than my 2001 since when I get to the RPO selections with my car I am directed to make them with the ENTER key.
I did this and didn't need anything no tech 2 no resistors no simulators.

This isn't my idea I got it from here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-c5.html..I also talked to rv13 earlier and he answered some questions for me. Thanks again man!!! Basically you unhook the shock and the plug so you have the whole thing in front of you..

and you take a punch or screwdriver and hit the holes in a counter clockwise position and it starts to unscrew. It took me a few wacks for it to break free. Unscrew it and wiggle the sensor out.You may have to pop that piece to the right off with a flat head. I did...

Once your done just plug it back up and ziptie the wires out of the way. You can actually attach the sensor rubber piece on the side of the brake line where you popped the other part off its a perfect fit. I have no codes and I sat there for 30 minutes unhooking it and hooking it up to see if it would throw any codes. the only time it did was when I disconnected it from the harness. SO I am a happy camper..

Old 03-30-2015, 08:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Thanks but the guy I'm trying to help bought a car that already had two of the shocks replaced.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:26 PM
sweetbeard
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tagged to find later
Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

I thought I seen something in here in the later pages

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...off-tech2.html
Old 06-10-2015, 12:59 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I did find out there are is a process for deleting the F45 that is "tribal" knowledge and involved plugging the module in and out in a special sequence. I have that at home I can post if there is any interest. I have not had the 98 guy come back so I could try it.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:00 PM
mackey
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm interested if you're able to post it.

i have a 98 coupe w C6Z waiting in the wings for the F45 to go.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:44 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

This is what I have been told:

1. Hook up Tech 2, turn car on, make sure module in the rear is plugged in. Do not unplug the rear module.
2. Use Tech 2 to delete the F45 option.
3. Save new configuration.
4. Do not turn car off, do not remove Tech 2. Go to the module in the rear of the car, unplug the grey connector (the widest one), leave any other plug(s) in.
5. Turn off car, leave Tech 2 plugged in.
6. Remove remaining plugs from module in the rear of car. [never plug them back in again, if you do the F45 turns on automatically]
7. Turn car on to verify the "max speed 80 mph" is gone.
8. Unplug Tech 2.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Way, WAY,,, back when in "2003",, I owned a 98 C5 and my NEW 02 ZO6. My 98 was having some VERY VERY STRANGE electrical issues.

I was pretty sure it was BCM related. I wanted to be 100% positive. SO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I removed the 02 ZO6 BCM and installed it in the 98. HMMMMMM,, It sort of worked...

I removed the 02 BCM from the 98 and reinstalled it back in the 02 Z.

HOLY CRAP!! I now have ALL the Real Time Dampening messages and DTCs that GM could ever have thought of in my 02 ZO6!!! ZO6 Cars DO NOT HAVE RTD!!

Hmmm,,, The 02 Z is under warranty...

When I took it to the STEALERSHIP,, the Tech was absolutly STUMPED! How in the hell does an 2002 ZO6 get F-45 Messaged/DTCs ????

I wasn't about to tell them how it got that way!

They reprogramed the BCM to remove the F-45 RPO and all was back to normal. Message to self... DONT DO THAT,,, EVER!

MORAL OF THE STORY : IF, you or ANYONE EVER plugs the connector back into the RTD Module,, the BCM will automatically on its own, reconfigure its self back to F-45 RTD..
Properly BAG/TAPE up that connector and tag it so people know why its disconnected and NOT to reconnect it.

I know several people that have purchased C5s that had F-45 RPO removed and have found that connector/module and thought "What the hell, this isn't right.." I will just plug that connector back in and the car will run better.

Bill
Old 07-23-2015, 01:51 PM
DBH-Vette
Advanced

Default Rtd-f45

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I did find out there are is a process for deleting the F45 that is "tribal" knowledge and involved plugging the module in and out in a special sequence. I have that at home I can post if there is any interest. I have not had the 98 guy come back so I could try it.
Dadaroo-This is DBH-VETTE Again.Could you post the sequence, I would like to try it before I take it and pay to hook it up to a Tech II. I really appreciate all the time you have spent helping me.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:50 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH-Vette
Dadaroo-This is DBH-VETTE Again.Could you post the sequence, I would like to try it before I take it and pay to hook it up to a Tech II. I really appreciate all the time you have spent helping me.
He did see post 11 in this thread
Old 07-23-2015, 09:57 PM
DBH-Vette
Advanced

Default Rtd-f45

Originally Posted by feeder82
He did see post 11 in this thread
He posted that to me the other day. I thought maybe there was another way to try and delete F45.Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:09 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DBH-Vette
He posted that to me the other day. I thought maybe there was another way to try and delete F45.Thanks for the reply.
That is the only way I know of and I have done several. But, I would like to amend his process.

1. Hook up Tech 2, turn car on, make sure module in the rear is plugged in. Do not unplug the rear module.
2. Use Tech 2 to delete the F45 option.
3. Save new configuration.
4. Do not turn car off, do not remove Tech 2. Go to the module in the rear of the car, unplug the grey connector (the widest one), leave any other plug(s) in.
5. Turn off car, leave Tech 2 plugged in.
6. Remove remaining plugs from module in the rear of car. [never plug them back in again, if you do the F45 turns on automatically]

6.5 Unhook the negative post of the battery and walk away for an hour

7. Turn car on to verify the "max speed 80 mph" is gone.
8. Unplug Tech 2.

On many of the F45/55 deletes I have done the process just doesn't work without the battery disconnect. Oddly 15-20 minutes should be sufficient to discharge all the capacitors and reset anything. Yet I have hooked the battery up at 45 minutes only to have to do the whole process over again and wait an hour. I can't honestly say how often the battery disconnect is necessary. I've started just doing it every time because I know it will work that way.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:41 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chicago1
I did this and didn't need anything no tech 2 no resistors no simulators.

This isn't my idea I got it from here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-c5.html..I also talked to rv13 earlier and he answered some questions for me. Thanks again man!!! Basically you unhook the shock and the plug so you have the whole thing in front of you..

and you take a punch or screwdriver and hit the holes in a counter clockwise position and it starts to unscrew. It took me a few wacks for it to break free. Unscrew it and wiggle the sensor out.You may have to pop that piece to the right off with a flat head. I did...

Once your done just plug it back up and ziptie the wires out of the way. You can actually attach the sensor rubber piece on the side of the brake line where you popped the other part off its a perfect fit. I have no codes and I sat there for 30 minutes unhooking it and hooking it up to see if it would throw any codes. the only time it did was when I disconnected it from the harness. SO I am a happy camper..

My 99 was in the shop last week for AC pass damper door replacement. I asked about by pass the F45 and they told me they could not do it. (doesnt' mean weren't able but would not.) My shocks are "shot' and need replacement and I won't pay the $4000 for new ones. Interesting taking the coil out of the old ones. I also considered buying the $200 bypass plug in but I have extra pair of shocks and if I can get out the coil I'll go that way.

Now for the big question I dont' want a truck fro the track but my stock C5 driveable so I can take long trips. What shock should I use as a replacement for the F45. I am ok with the F45 ride in the tour mode so to just duplicate that would be ok for me. Any recommendations?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimcork1
My 99 was in the shop last week for AC pass damper door replacement. I asked about by pass the F45 and they told me they could not do it. (doesnt' mean weren't able but would not.) My shocks are "shot' and need replacement and I won't pay the $4000 for new ones. Interesting taking the coil out of the old ones. I also considered buying the $200 bypass plug in but I have extra pair of shocks and if I can get out the coil I'll go that way.

Now for the big question I dont' want a truck fro the track but my stock C5 driveable so I can take long trips. What shock should I use as a replacement for the F45. I am ok with the F45 ride in the tour mode so to just duplicate that would be ok for me. Any recommendations?

c6z shocks..end of story less then 300 to your door new

Get notified of new replies

To F45 delete failure on my 98

Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 PM
DBH-Vette
Advanced

Default Rtd-f45

I tried taking off the shock and couldn't get the plug to budge. So I'm not even try the rest until I can get that one loose. I had to take a break. Trying to do anything on that car is frustrating.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:44 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
c6z shocks..end of story less then 300 to your door new
I bought a WHOLE set off the C5 parts for sale section for $150...with 4k miles on them.
NICE upgrade... I LOVE them!

$300 NEW

Give your 1997-2004 C5 & Z06 or 2005-2013 C6 Corvette the re-engineered performance of the new C6 Z06 Shock Absorbers.

GM engineers have refined the Z06’s shock absorbers damping characteristics to provide improved handling in the most challenging conditions, while maintaining good ride control for the demands of daily driving. Continual analysis, development and refinement of the shock valves in particular resulted in more damping control and force, delivered more smoothly.
This new tuning is aimed at diminishing the impact of yaw and roll on the car, particularly in quick maneuvers or a series of tight corners. These refinements are a result of extensive testing and development, including several high-speed test sessions at Germany’s famed Nürburgring race track.

Sold as a complete set of (4).
Direct fit, replacement for all 1997 -to- 2013 Corvettes.
No modifications needed.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 07-28-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:19 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I bought a WHOLE set off the C5 parts for sale section for $150...with 4k miles on them.
NICE upgrade... I LOVE them!

$300 NEW

Give your 1997-2004 C5 & Z06 or 2005-2013 C6 Corvette the re-engineered performance of the new C6 Z06 Shock Absorbers.

GM engineers have refined the Z06’s shock absorbers damping characteristics to provide improved handling in the most challenging conditions, while maintaining good ride control for the demands of daily driving. Continual analysis, development and refinement of the shock valves in particular resulted in more damping control and force, delivered more smoothly.
This new tuning is aimed at diminishing the impact of yaw and roll on the car, particularly in quick maneuvers or a series of tight corners. These refinements are a result of extensive testing and development, including several high-speed test sessions at Germany’s famed Nürburgring race track.

Sold as a complete set of (4).
Direct fit, replacement for all 1997 -to- 2013 Corvettes.
No modifications needed.
I am notorious for ordering the wrong part. anyone have a part number and supplier?

Quick Reply: F45 delete failure on my 98