C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service column lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 PM
ljsjr
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service column lock

Hello, I just purchased a C5 1999 corvette and on the D.I.C. reads Service Column Lock after starting. Chevrolet said the recall was done but to old to tell me what was done, no codes but H codes which I have reset. What do I do to remove the Service Column Lock Displayed on the D.I.C.?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Start here https://www.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/1015483-steering-column-lock-faqs-please-read-before-you-post-sticky-please.html
Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

A low battery voltage is the cause of 99+% of CL issues. To completely eliminate having the issue strand you with a locked column or 2 MPH speed restriction I recommend you install an LMC5 from Compliance Parts.

The factory recall never really prevented having a problem. The LMC5 will and it does not require you undo any previous work done. And, it is not expensive and you can install it yourself or with a friends help.

They have a great video on the installation if you search for LMC5 on eBay. However it does not provide all the info so read the instructions and use the video to help you understand what you are doing.

Here is the website:

http://complianceparts.com/index.html
Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Blk_'01_Z06
Intermediate

Default Related question

I've also had this problem, and have installed the LCM5 bypass, and it works like a charm. Also, I have an ECS tune where the fuel shutoff was bumped from 2 MPH to 200 MPH, so I'm safe mechanically. However, my C5Z sat parked for about 10 months and the battery went dead, now I get the Service Column Lock message. I have a fairly older battery, is it possible a bad cell is popping the message and it should just be replaced? Like I said, it's not causing any mechanical issues, but I can't cycle thru anything on the DIC.

And I swear I read something about pulling a certain fuse (I think it was number 23) and that may reset the message, but I can't find it to save my life.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 PM
ljsjr
7th Gear

Default Answers to your Questions, Thanks for the Help

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You need to tell us whether the car is a manual or automatic trans. Makes a difference.

Also need to tell us if the steering column locks with NO KEY in the ignition. Don't mistake difficult to turn because of lack of power steering with LOCKED.

Have you tried to move the car with the message displayed??? Does the engine stall almost as soon as you try to move the car????

Check the battery. MOST common cause of the column lock symptoms is a weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery connections including the one at the starter. Measure the battery voltage using a digital multimeter directly across the battery posts with the NEG battery cable disconnected. MUST be greater thab 12.5 volts for the column lock electronics to function correctly. Dash gauges tell you the state of health of the charging system and NOT the state of health of the battery. Engine will start with 12.2 volts or less but column lock electronics will fail to function correctly.

A fully charged battery measured as described will show 12.7 to 12.9 volts or more.
Hi, sorry the car is a Manual Trans. and the Column is not locked when the Key is out. The car runs fine except for a problem when trying to jump on the pedal from about 1/3 to all the way down hesitation and jumping a little not sure why & no codes. I replaced the battery when I purchased the car because I had a problem starting it Two times.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 PM
ljsjr
7th Gear

Hi, sorry the car is a Manual Trans. and the Column is not locked when the Key is out. The car runs fine except for a problem when trying to jump on the pedal from about 1/3 to all the way down hesitation and jumping a little not sure why & no codes. I replaced the battery when I purchased the car because I had a problem starting it Two times. Still learning how to Reply on the site, Thanks for the Help.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 PM
ljsjr
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Blk_'01_Z06
I've also had this problem, and have installed the LCM5 bypass, and it works like a charm. Also, I have an ECS tune where the fuel shutoff was bumped from 2 MPH to 200 MPH, so I'm safe mechanically. However, my C5Z sat parked for about 10 months and the battery went dead, now I get the Service Column Lock message. I have a fairly older battery, is it possible a bad cell is popping the message and it should just be replaced? Like I said, it's not causing any mechanical issues, but I can't cycle thru anything on the DIC.

And I swear I read something about pulling a certain fuse (I think it was number 23) and that may reset the message, but I can't find it to save my life.
Hi, did you install the bypass after you had the Recall repair by G.M.? If so than I will also install the LCM5 Bypass. How did you do the ECS tune where the Fuel Shut Off was bumped and not a problem anymore? Will also try to pull Fuse 23 to see if it resets, Thanks for the Help.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:03 PM
ljsjr
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dadaroo
A low battery voltage is the cause of 99+% of CL issues. To completely eliminate having the issue strand you with a locked column or 2 MPH speed restriction I recommend you install an LMC5 from Compliance Parts.

The factory recall never really prevented having a problem. The LMC5 will and it does not require you undo any previous work done. And, it is not expensive and you can install it yourself or with a friends help.

They have a great video on the installation if you search for LMC5 on eBay. However it does not provide all the info so read the instructions and use the video to help you understand what you are doing.

Here is the website:

http://complianceparts.com/index.html
Hi, think I had a problem with the battery Voltage because had to replace the battery after I purchased the car. I will get the LMC5 and try to install it, Thanks for your Help.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Blk_'01_Z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ljsjr
Hi, did you install the bypass after you had the Recall repair by G.M.? If so than I will also install the LCM5 Bypass. How did you do the ECS tune where the Fuel Shut Off was bumped and not a problem anymore? Will also try to pull Fuse 23 to see if it resets, Thanks for the Help.
Sorry, I reread my post and I phrased it really poorly. I was sort of looking for help from 8VETTE7, he seems to be the real expert on this problem. Was curious if the new battery or fuse pull would help, more of a question than advice.

As far as the recall, I bought my Z in 2012, and I don't know if any of the other 3 owners had the recall done. The LCM5 was really easy to install, and took like 20 minutes even to someone who is not mechanically inclined like myself (and that's being kind). The column hasn't locked since, I just keep getting the message after the dead battery.

As far as the tune, ECS (East Coast Supercharging) offers a mail-order tune service for like $150; you remove the PCM, send it to them, and they give you a tune based on your mods (it's not extreme, very safe since they can't read the data from your specific car). Great service, Chris is awesome to deal with. He bumped the shutoff up to either 200 or 255 when he tuned mine, so now I have taken care of both column lock effects.

But I would REALLY like to make the message go away, it's annoying as hell. I read about the fuse somewhere, but can't find it, and if that doesn't work (or I'm dreaming about that solution), I'll replace the battery. Mine's old (several years), and was dead for at least 9-10 months, so it wouldn't be a terrible thing to swap it out if that will fix the problem.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 PM
ljsjr
7th Gear

Originally Posted by feeder82
Thanks for the Link.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Please follow any advice from 8VETTE7. he is the GURU on CL issues. NO ONE knows more.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:23 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks forum members! I had this problem occur at our corvette club meeting and had to have the vette carried home on a roll back. That was last Friday morning. I received my kit yesterday and installed it today and the problem "seems" to be fixed. I will recommend that all my early C5 friends purchase this kit and put it in the glove box. It is cheaper than paying for towing!

Get notified of new replies

To service column lock

Quick Reply: service column lock