C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinning the harmonic balancer on near stock car?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:54 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Pinning the harmonic balancer on near stock car?

Hey all, just wondering what your thoughts are on pinning a replacement harmonic balancer on a car with just bolt on mods. My harmonic balancer wobbles and is getting up there in miles. I have to change some steering parts so I figure while i'm in there I might as well change the balancer. But while I'm changing the balancer, is there any point in pinning the new unit on a near stock car? There is a possibility of adding a supercharger later down the road

But for now I plan on getting a Powerbond in OE size. Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:53 AM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd definitely pin it, especially if you think you may do a supercharger later. Heck, even if you don't. It's a lot of work to get to the balancer and you won't want to have to do it again. It's extra insurance to keep the balancer from spinning and backing out the bolt.

The powerbond should be just fine, same one I'm using on my supercharged build.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:12 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

You will have fun drilling with the radiator and condenser in the way. Wear a hard hat and expect to do some cussing.

If it is wobbling, it needs changing pretty quick. Thrown fan belts= overheating. Busted balancer will take out other valuable stuff, steering cooler, radiator, condenser etc.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:14 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Sure sounds like a project! To give an idea of what I've done so far, I've had the entire driveline out on 2 different occasions (by myself on jackstands! ) to replace the clutch and to open the trans to replace some synchros. Never replaced the balancer though, but hope it's within my realm.

I threw my main belt once at the drag strip and the car almost instantly overheated (yikes!) fortunately it was just a weak tensioner that time.

Just curious- would a right angle drill help when pinning? I havent read too far into it just yet as I only thought about this last night...
Old 05-29-2014, 02:44 PM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ericdwong
Just curious- would a right angle drill help when pinning? I havent read too far into it just yet as I only thought about this last night...
The right-angle drill might help if you choose to leave the radiator and fans in the car. When I did mine, I removed the radiator and fans and had plenty of room for a standard cordless drill.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:32 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if you have done a clutch this will be a cakewalk... you don't have to totally remove the rack, I just moved mine over towards the passenger side until I had enough clearance... and as stated above, be careful with the steering wheel/shaft... what I did was use some tie straps wrapped around the steering wheel to the seat rails just to remind myself not to move it
Old 05-29-2014, 03:42 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Good info. I have a right angle cordless drill, but may remove the radiator anyway since I have to change the coolant. Seems like one thing always just leads to another
Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 PM
aquachuck1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pinning

Yes , pin the new HB. Even if you plan nothing right now its only a few bucks to getting the pinning kit...you wont want to go thru that work again. Since you are removing the old HB....plan to replace the crank seal on the timing chain cover....if you dont you will have to do the HB pull again to get to the seal(I know this from experience)when it starts to leak in a few years.

My most important tool for removing the bolt on the HB was a 4 foot piece of copper pipe...to put over the breaker bar when you try to get the bolt out....my impact wrench was totally useless on the HB bolt.

Good Luck
Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 PM
smittydog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Way easier than pulling the driveline. Clean your radiator and AC core while they are apart. They get packed with garbage that you can't see or get to until the radiator is out. Heat the balancer up to about 200 degrees in the oven and it will slide home on a cold crank with almost no effort.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

The Powerbond has a keyway cut in the hub and is perfect for the ATI pin kit. No need to end drill the crank.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by smittydog
Way easier than pulling the driveline. Clean your radiator and AC core while they are apart. They get packed with garbage that you can't see or get to until the radiator is out. Heat the balancer up to about 200 degrees in the oven and it will slide home on a cold crank with almost no effort.
Great idea same effect as freezing ball joints for easy install.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 PM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The Powerbond has a keyway cut in the hub and is perfect for the ATI pin kit. No need to end drill the crank.
Not unless it's the Powerbond OEM style (PB1117-N).
The following users liked this post:
Naturally Vain (02-22-2019)
Old 05-29-2014, 11:54 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

http://powerbondbalancers.carshopinc...6340/PB1117-SS

Enlarge the picture. You can clearly see the PB1117-SS p/n and the keyway on the unit.

I would also recommend you use the ATI pinning kit.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

A better question is why you wouldn't? As others have stated move the rack over pull the radiator and you have plenty of room. Its not that bad I have done it twice.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:53 AM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
http://powerbondbalancers.carshopinc...6340/PB1117-SS

Enlarge the picture. You can clearly see the PB1117-SS p/n and the keyway on the unit.

I would also recommend you use the ATI pinning kit.
Yep, you are right. I was just trying to point out that Powerbond does make an "OEM' style version (p/n PB1117-N) that does not have a keyway (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...117N/02316.oap). Either way, seems that the general consensus is to pin the crank while you're in there!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

If you are into racing--HPDE, autocross, drag, etc.-- you should pin the new pulley. There are two popular types used, the ATI and the Kent-Moore. I have the latter and have pinned mu own vette and a few others. Like they said above, you can move the rack and use a right angle drill without any problem. I used a white pen and marked my settings for the steering before I moved anything. Hardest part was getting one of the power steering hoses back on.

Get notified of new replies

To Pinning the harmonic balancer on near stock car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pinning the harmonic balancer on near stock car?