C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 Vette wagging it's tail

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Vette wagging it's tail

So, trying to determine what is happening here. As we roll down the highway, the faster we go, the more the rear wanders side to side. Both my wife and I noticed the same thing. It isn't the roadway, any roads cause this problem. If we press and hold-down the Active Handling button and put it in Competitive Mode, the problem seems very diminished.

Now, if we have the steering wheel turned the slightest bit, either to the left or right, the problem goes-away. This is why I don't think it is an alignment issue.

If we hold the steering wheel dead-center you will fell the rear of the car go left-right-left-right........ Makes you feel like there is a strong wind or tractor trailers passing by you!

Has to be something in the active handling and it must be engaging the rear brakes or something.

This car has the F55 option, though we feel no difference in any of the selected modes. Also seems to ride rougher than any other C5 I have been in or driven. None of them did this wandering act either.

What should I look for?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:03 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

check tire pressures and see if any bushings in the control arms are worn out in the rear.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:12 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the last time you had a 4 wheel alignment? What kind of tires are on your car? How old are they and how many miles are on them? It would make since that turning the A.H off makes it less noticeable because it is no longer trying to compensate. If you don't do your own work, I suggest that you take it to a front end shop that has a good rep for Corvettes and get a complete inspection and alignment. F55 is known to be stiff but if you don't feel any difference then you should probably start by pulling the codes.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:28 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Also check to make sure the shipping blocks for the F55 system where removed. Been plenty of them that where not and will make for a very stiff ride. The F55 option came out in 03 so you must have the F45 option. Not sure if they where shipped with the blocks.

Last edited by coia96vette; 06-04-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Tires are good (not run flats), air pressure is good, I need to check the glove box, guess it's called F45 in 2002. I will get the car up and look at bushings. Has 30K on the clock now. I do 99% of my own work, no problems there. I plan on lowering the front 1/2 inch and the rear 1", after that I will get it aligned. I will look and see if there are any codes set.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I'd take a look at the rear tie rod ends.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:04 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What tires are you running?

Is during cruising? During WOT? Right after WOT? During braking?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
Old 06-05-2014, 10:48 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Check codes using the dic. If it's an active handling problem is should set a code, swps possibly.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

my 00 does the same thing. Its scary. I was thinking the swap bar ends. I installed a C6 Z06 front & rear sway bars. Maybe need to retighten the ends.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Finally got time to look at it. The tie rods are perfect. Decided to lower the rear of the car while I was under there. Guess-what, the problem is now gone. Was probably just an alignment issue which was resolved when I lowered it an inch. Since we put very few miles on the car I won't bother to check the alignment for awhile. The tires will dry-rot before we actually wear them out.........
Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Beck
Tires are good (not run flats), air pressure is good, I need to check the glove box, guess it's called F45 in 2002. I will get the car up and look at bushings. Has 30K on the clock now. I do 99% of my own work, no problems there. I plan on lowering the front 1/2 inch and the rear 1", after that I will get it aligned. I will look and see if there are any codes set.
What tires? I had this issue. Brand new Nittos. The were crap the whole time I had them. It started the day I put them on. I replaced, shocks, sways, sway bushings, trans mount, an alignment. Eventually I replaced the tires and wheels, and then a new alignment.

Somewhere in the process it is gone. I do need A-arm bushings (Some of them) and have yet to fix. 600 miles on the new set up, and had almost no sway (like 2 miles worth in one section of road). Some may be attributable to roads, but not totally sure.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
I would just go ahead and replace them. You need very little wear to cause what you are seeing.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:24 AM
mr. cleland
1st Gear

Default Its your tires

I had that problem with a set of non rf doughboy tires. I noticed that under any acceleration the car would get loose... The guy at the tire shop looked at it and said "the tires were warping under power". Put a set of runflats on and it went away...
Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. cleland
I had that problem with a set of non rf doughboy tires. I noticed that under any acceleration the car would get loose... The guy at the tire shop looked at it and said "the tires were warping under power". Put a set of runflats on and it went away...
Yeah, runflats are the answer.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by zeevette
Yeah, runflats are the answer.
They can help the problem if the tires are the issue. Not the route I went, but with the stiff sidewalls they won't flex much under acceleration, which is where mine was "wagging."

I went to Michelin pilot sports.

Get notified of new replies

To '02 Vette wagging it's tail

Quick Reply: '02 Vette wagging it's tail