C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Noise coming from clutch at high rpms.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:21 AM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Help! Noise coming from clutch at high rpms.

I have a 99frc that I just pulled as the weather was warming up, and actually had planned on selling it as I don't drive it much. Car is heavily modified with h/c/I among other things. Here's my issue.

Car has a fairly new rpm transmission, rear diff, and textrillia z grip clutch. I also had the torque tube rebuilt when all of this was installed. Also when all of this work was done, I had a new master cylinder, slave, and remote bleeder installed. Never had an issue until today when out on a second test drive with a potential buyer.

Car drove perfectly until a little spirited run and I heard a slight noise from going into third from second gear. Sounded like a small grind or some metal on metal like a heat shield. We continued to experiment with it and the it only happens under hard acceleration. I could not feel any vibration up through the shifter, but was able to replicate the noise by speeding up pretty hard and just engaging the clutch. Doing that you could hear a loud grind sort of similar to using a die grinder on a piece of metal. This would only happen under heavy acceleration...driving back home normally there were no issues. Also during all ofnthisnthe car had no issues shifting into any gear, and the clutch pedal stayed solid.

I immediately took the car back home and told the guy I would sort the issue out as I have never had a problem before. And I'm not going to try and sell it in this condition even if there are no noises coming from it from normal driving.

Any ideas please?
Thanks.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:20 PM
rmtt
Pro

Bump.

Any ideas from anyone? The shop that I had do all the work was a great place, but owner decided to go a different route and is only doing private work. I have some feelers out trying to contact him, but not sure it will happen.

I cranked the car up today and its like there is no issue. Drove around my neighborhood and no issues with shifting or anything. Car is smooth as silk. But once you do a spirited run, just pressing in the clutch causes the noise. I just drove back home normally and its like nothing is wrong.

Again...thanks for any input.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:42 PM
AWSUMC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmtt
Bump.

Any ideas from anyone? The shop that I had do all the work was a great place, but owner decided to go a different route and is only doing private work. I have some feelers out trying to contact him, but not sure it will happen.

I cranked the car up today and its like there is no issue. Drove around my neighborhood and no issues with shifting or anything. Car is smooth as silk. But once you do a spirited run, just pressing in the clutch causes the noise. I just drove back home normally and its like nothing is wrong.

Again...thanks for any input.
Check clutch fluid reservoir and bleed clutch to get out any air in line.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 PM
AWSUMC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check fluid level in clutch reservoir. Bleed clutch (again) to get out any air in the system.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:03 PM
JOEY CARTEE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact made yesterday!!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:55 PM
rmtt
Pro

Thanks for the replies. As mentioned by Joey, I was able to get in contact with help from the forum.

Got an appointment to see him on Saturday, and really can't say how much worry this takes off myself.

Having a talented mechanic is like finding a good doctor...You want to stay with them for life!!

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Noise coming from clutch at high rpms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Noise coming from clutch at high rpms.