C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear CV Boot Leak

Old 06-08-2014, 04:43 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear CV Boot Leak

I found grease on the inside of my wheel and further investigation uncovered a small crack in the rear CV boot on the passenger side. I've read several posts but I am looking for a little direction and advice here. First off, is there a temporary fix for the boot to stop leaking. (I had to ask this because there are some very smart and innovative members in here so you never know.) Second, it appears that if I have the right tools, I can do this in my garage based on some write ups I've found. I had planned on an alignment next week anyway.

Is it best to just go buy the entire axle assembly (~$75-$85 at Auto Zone or O'Reilly) and do it myself? My car is only a street car, no racing etc, so figured the autozone/Reilly was good enough, what would you recommend? While I am in there, any specific parts to replace, seals, tie rod ends, bearing, etc.?

I've been chasing a pulsating (on/off) vibration while finding this crack, but don't think it has anything to do with it since it still seems to have plenty of grease in it.

Anyway sorry so long, but any comments or advice would be appreciated! Thanks! BTW, car is an 03 Base M6, 49k miles.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 2003RedVette; 06-08-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:56 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If your not racing & not at high RPM's, the after market assembly will be just fine.

Personally. I'd use the GM axle & install a GM boot kit.

Comes with the boot, cir clip, two clamps & the proper poly grease.

To save some bucks, you could pull the axle & take the axle to a suspension mechanic to put the GM boot kit on for you.

Slap it back in & your done & saved some money.

Last edited by bumble-z; 06-09-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Originally Posted by bumble-z
If your not racing & not at high RPM's, the after market assembly will be just fine.

Personally. I'd use the GM axle & install a GM boot kit.

Comes with the boot, two clamps & the proper poly grease.

To save some bucks, you could pull the axle & take the axle to a suspension mechanic to put the GM boot kit on for you.

Slap it back in & your done & saved some money.
Thanks Bumble-Z! I'll have to look up this kit, I think this is the way to go for me, at this point, being budget minded. Sounds like something I can do. Think of anything else let me know!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the instruction page shown on the attached pic for the GM Boot Kit? Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 PM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I done one on mine before the only issue I had is the clamp u have to use special pliers which I ended up going and buying them from harbour freight
Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 AM
2003RedVette
Racer

Originally Posted by bob22z06
I done one on mine before the only issue I had is the clamp u have to use special pliers which I ended up going and buying them from harbour freight
Thanks Bob! I know Harbor Freight all too well, thanks for the heads up! Do you remember what the pliers were called or a part number?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

To do this job properly you should (on the end your working on) remove the bearings from the race & clean all the pieces, prior to using the new poly grease & reinstalling.

I found using a small radiator hose clamp to close the cir clip,
(for removal of old cir clip & reinstalling the new one)
came in very handy & made life easier.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 2003RedVette
Thanks Bob! I know Harbor Freight all too well, thanks for the heads up! Do you remember what the pliers were called or a part number?
I've seen them referred to as "end nippers", "nose cutters" or "end cutters" sometimes. Here's a small set that includes a pair. Item# 31675

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_17642.jpg

Individual 4" pair is item# 39531
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_18691.jpg

These are the smaller versions and depending on the size of the band clamp, you may need a larger size. This small set is only $6.99 and the individuals are $2.49.

A larger 10" version (item# 38496 $6.99) would probably work for the larger size clamps:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_17276.jpg
Old 06-24-2014, 01:20 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

An update since my last post:

I ended up replacing the passenger side rear axle myself. (Didn't want to mess with changing the boot myself and all the shops I visited either wanted too much $$$ or they didn't even want to touch it.) The job wasn't that bad, had to borrow a couple tools from the local AZone. Since I was in there, and also trying to chase a vibration issue, I elected to replace the wheel hub bearing as well. Once finished, everything felt great, BUT, still had the vibration. So, this past weekend I replaced the passenger side front wheel hub bearing, and guess what, vibration issue resolved!

Thanks guys!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:16 PM
mercurymike98
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

special tools needed for rear axle replacement? can I get from Autozone?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:09 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Originally Posted by mercurymike98
special tools needed for rear axle replacement? can I get from Autozone?
PM sent
Old 09-04-2014, 08:58 PM
95Z28M6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I had this issue in the exact same spot. I caught it before it spit out very much grease. I used an old ATV trick since the cut wasnt on a part of the boot that twists or bends. I cleaned it off with brake clean very good. Even used a rag on my finger nail to get into the cut some and clean it up. Then I took black permatex RTV silicone and pushed a very small amount into the cut, then covered the cut on the outside by smoothing the RTV over a bigger surface next to the snap ring. No more leak, and I have about 5k miles like this. This RTV is soft and pliable, and the black RTV is oil and grease resistant. Im sure a few of the diehards will laugh at this, but it works and you dont have to pull the axle out. This only works on parts of the boot outside of the accordian in the center.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The pliers for the clamps are specific for installing the clamps. The tools linked in this thread can work but they're not the proper tool. This is an example of what the pliers for the boot clamps actually look like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KD-TOOLS-CV-...-/141356617038

Get notified of new replies

To Rear CV Boot Leak

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear CV Boot Leak