C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor swapped. No clearance on passenger side.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:05 PM
YELLO C5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motor swapped. No clearance on passenger side.

I swapped in a different motor and when I got the XS Power headers tightened down the O2 sensor on the passenger side contacts the frame. Drive's side has about 1/2 inch. I'll try loosening the motor mounts and see if I can persuade the motor to the left. Is there any play in the suspension cradle that I should try too?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:45 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

not really, it has to be aligned properly for proper suspension geometry and so the car tracks straight.

post up a pic, something doesn't sound right
Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Seen a couple of posts like this with that header brand
Old 06-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The K member has little or ON slop. Its aligned with dowels that are pretty tight.

Are your engine mounts any good?? They can deteriorate and literally fall apart. There is a little slop in the engine mount K member" frame " and "engine" mounting bolts but not a lot. You can loosen the upper and lower mount bolts for both mounts and jog the engine to one side. It will get you some more clearance but not much.

IF,,,,, You move the engine more to the drivers side, make SURE that you have clearance between the steering shaft and the header. Another close area to be concerned with on some headers.

I have seen this issue with some headers. If you cant return the headers, find a metal rod that you can insert into the header O2 bung hole. Heat the area around the O2 Bung hole and slightly bend the bung in the correct direction for more clearance between the O2 sensor and the frame.

Bill
Old 06-21-2014, 01:50 AM
YELLO C5
Racer

Thanks for the replies. I had the headers on the car before the motor swap and I thought it was tight but not touching. The driver side header use to rub the steering shaft but when I reconnected the steering shaft I gave it more clearance. The car isn't here but I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Edit: Engine mounts are new GM mounts.

Last edited by YELLO C5; 06-21-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Also, it is easy to put in new bungs and just plug the old locations. Just have to drop your exhaust which isn't a big deal.
Also might have to increase the pigtail lengths.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 PM
YELLO C5
Racer

Yeah. There really isn't any play in the motor mounts either. It's still making contact but next time I have the header off I'll have the angle of the bung changed.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor swapped. No clearance on passenger side.

Quick Reply: Motor swapped. No clearance on passenger side.