C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure bleeding master cylinder?

Old 06-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Meta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Pressure bleeding master cylinder?

After swapping out calipers for a full set of powder coated ones from TPS Motorsports (they look GREAT, btw), I'm having trouble getting a hard pedal. Not being picky, it's really not right. Master cylinder ran dry while calipers were off the car so I bench bled the master cylinder after doing a full four corner bleed with speed bleeders, followed by a second full four corner bleed after bench bleed. With little improvement in the pedal at all, I figured it was air in the ABS system so I took it to my mechanic and we did a pressure bleed with his scan tool and BG bleeder. Still poor pedal feel with little improvement, we followed with a manual bleed at the calipers. Still no good. Question is, if by chance I didn't evacuate the air properly on the bench bleed, would the pressure bleed have pushed any remaining air out of the master and into the lines where it should have been bled out in the subsequent multiple bleeds? My mechanic thinks its a bad master cylinder. I'd like to rule out other problems before I pull the trigger and buy a new master. Any thoughts?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

I has similar issue so I followed what service manual said. Bought the fittings that fit master cylinder and put line through them and then used hammer and vice to crimp them over twice. I actually disassembled MC and cleaned it first. Then I installed MC in vice and put home made plugs (fittings with line) and started bleeding. Kept tilting MC forward and then back until no air was coming out. At that point I could only push about 1/16 in before it was hard. Then reinstalled and had son push pedal when I reconnected each line to push air out. Worked like a charm. Brakes are solid now.
Chris
Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

You didn't by chance install one of the calipers upside down did you? Make sure all the bleeder screws are on the top. I've read on the forum where people have made this mistake.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Meta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGun
You didn't by chance install one of the calipers upside down did you? Make sure all the bleeder screws are on the top. I've read on the forum where people have made this mistake.
No, I definitely did not install just one caliper upside down. I installed TWO calipers upside down. I AM WE TODD DID. I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID. Read that aloud several times and you'll know how I feel. At least I'm not the first and I feel better that even my mechanic also overlooked what we both know is wrong.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

Glad it was a simple mistake and that your brakes should be back to solid once you swap them.
Chris
Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

I've made the same mistake. Funny thing is I was able to get a firm pedal and caught the mistake later on just by looking things over.

Get notified of new replies

To Pressure bleeding master cylinder?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pressure bleeding master cylinder?