C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reverse lockout solenoid;simple question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 PM
bing44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse lockout solenoid;simple question

I can't get into reverse. I replaced the clutch and it worked fine for the first drive: R 123456 worked fine. I stopped to park in my driveway and it wouldn't go into reverse. Won't go in with engine running, key on, or key off. Is the solenoid normally unlocked? I read that it doesn't lock out until ~ 3 mph.

jim
Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I would double check the shifter alignment/ adjustment. I doubt it the solenoid. With the key on engine off, check the light green wire for ground and the pink wire for for 12v+. If it's grounded, the solenoid is powered up and reverse is locked out. If it's not grounded, intermittently apply ground and listen for the solenoid clicking. If you hear it, it should be working.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:12 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Early cars were energize to allow and then later cars about 1/2 way though the C5 production run changed to be energize to lock out.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:21 AM
bing44
Instructor

But my situation doesn't make sense, being locked out in both cases.
(edit) When I put it back together I stuck a proper size drill in the 1st gear alignment hole to exclude misalignment as a cause, plus I took the whole console apart today and reinstalled the shifter (Hurst).

jim

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Early cars were energize to allow and then later cars about 1/2 way though the C5 production run changed to be energize to lock out.

Last edited by bing44; 06-26-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:42 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I would get under the car and jumper power/ground to the solenoid and see if that can get it to work. That would tell you if it is bad or you have it in the locked condition and it is not getting power/ground to function.

Let us know.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:51 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

The answer to your question in red is that it depends on the year of car. So, what year is your car?
Old 06-29-2014, 02:24 PM
bing44
Instructor

The answer to your question in red is that it depends on the year of car. So, what year is your car?

2002 but it won't go in to R running, key on, or key off. I think I'll hit it with a hammer a bunch of times and see if it doesn't give up.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:30 PM
bing44
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I would get under the car and jumper power/ground to the solenoid and see if that can get it to work. That would tell you if it is bad or you have it in the locked condition and it is not getting power/ground to function.

Let us know.
I'm sorry but I doubt I could figure out how to do that. Electricity befuddles me. Let me try though: unplug the connector from the solenoid, stick a wire in the power side of the plug and touch it to ground?

jim
Old 06-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I just replaced mine on my 2001 and did not have this issue. I left the car in neutral (found in a post I saw in another thread) as I replaced the solenoid. Maybe try that and see if it fixes your issue?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:02 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bing44
But my situation doesn't make sense, being locked out in both cases.
(edit) When I put it back together I stuck a proper size drill in the 1st gear alignment hole to exclude misalignment as a cause, plus I took the whole console apart today and reinstalled the shifter (Hurst).

jim
are you saying you had it in first gear when you inserted the bit into the alignment hole?... if so that might be the issue, it should be in neutral when you align the holes
Old 06-29-2014, 10:53 PM
bing44
Instructor

Originally Posted by neutron82
are you saying you had it in first gear when you inserted the bit into the alignment hole?... if so that might be the issue, it should be in neutral when you align the holes

I misspoke. It was in neutral, which is actually the only way it'll go in.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

yeah that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure... what kind of clutch did you install and do you have a tick master cylinder?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:49 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I'm sorry but I doubt I could figure out how to do that. Electricity befuddles me. Let me try though: unplug the connector from the solenoid, stick a wire in the power side of the plug and touch it to ground?

jim

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Don't do that. You will blow a fuse or worse. PM me with your phone number and I can explain how to do it.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:02 PM
bing44
Instructor

Originally Posted by neutron82
yeah that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure... what kind of clutch did you install and do you have a tick master cylinder?

The clutch and components are all stock GM from GMPH.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 PM
bing44
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Don't do that. You will blow a fuse or worse. PM me with your phone number and I can explain how to do it.
Bazinga!

LOL

I know how to do it wrong but not right….

jim

Last edited by bing44; 07-01-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Make sure the ground in the back of the rear driver side fender well is connected. It's held on with a 10mm nut. This is the ground for the lockout solenoid. You should be able to see it by jacking the car up. The stud sticks out about 1".
Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

2002 but it won't go in to R running, key on, or key off. I think I'll hit it with a hammer a bunch of times and see if it doesn't give up.
2002 should lock-out when the solenoid is energized. You just might have a sticking solenoid. Overall, it is an odd failure. There could be an issue inside the transmission.

On my 98 which is locked out unless the solenoid is energized I can force the shifter past the lockout. I'd expect you should be able to do the same.

On the alignment side. Forget the pin. Adjust it so that when you bring the shifter to the neutral on the 3-4 gate the holes line up.

Get notified of new replies

To reverse lockout solenoid;simple question

Old 07-01-2014, 08:51 AM
bing44
Instructor

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to have to say we can eliminate shifter alignment. First of all it worked perfectly when I finished assembling it, and secondly the groove in the linkage rod lined up perfectly with the attaching bolt hole without the pins both times I assembled it; I just used the pin to hold it still. I'm going to check out all the wiring I can reach, including the ground just mentioned, and as a last resort I'll drop the drive train enough to get the solenoid out, or find a shop who can handle this.

2002 should lock-out when the solenoid is energized. You just might have a sticking solenoid. Overall, it is an odd failure. There could be an issue inside the transmission.

On my 98 which is locked out unless the solenoid is energized I can force the shifter past the lockout. I'd expect you should be able to do the same.

On the alignment side. Forget the pin. Adjust it so that when you bring the shifter to the neutral on the 3-4 gate the holes line up.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 AM
bing44
Instructor

Default Update

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to have to say we can eliminate shifter alignment. First of all it worked perfectly when I finished assembling it, and secondly the groove in the linkage rod lined up perfectly with the attaching bolt hole without the pins both times I assembled it; I just used the pin to hold it still. I'm going to check out all the wiring I can reach, including the ground just mentioned, and as a last resort I'll drop the drive train enough to get the solenoid out, or find a shop who can handle this.
I gave up and took it to a shop. Long story short: a wheel speed sensor came disconnected - my fault. By the time we got the whole thing sorted out I had a $2500 bill and new pilot bearing and rebuilt driveline with a $700 input shaft. Now it works great except for some idling problems.

jim
Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

So what was wrong to cause it to not shift?

Quick Reply: reverse lockout solenoid;simple question