C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Nightmare, Help Please

Old 06-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Lucario6613
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical Nightmare, Help Please

I will start by saying none of these issues were present when I purchased the car in February. It has been in my garage and seen 0 drive time until I just finished a few days ago.
I have a 99 M6 targa coupe, HUD, no active handling.
I did a complete interior overhaul over the last few months of winter. Upon start up I am having these issues:
-when the brakes pedal is pressed or turn signals are on the interior lights will light up per the source (on with brakes, flash with signals)
-Gauges are inop and will "sweep" when brake pedal is pressed, the DIC reads a string of foreign characters. The HUD works fine and turn signal indicators work
-Auto HVAC illuminates but is inop
-Reverse lights do not work
-Front DRL's remain on
-Brake lights will only work intermittently and I cannot tell what will cause them to work/not work.
-trunk/fog and DIC/HUD lights do not work

Ok now what I did during the overhaul:
-Complete audio swap (double din head unit, all 4 speakers)
-Gray to black Carpet
-Recaro seats
-N02 install-Power is ran from the battery using a 8GA wire to a fuse block and then to the switches. it is entirely stand alone power wise)
-HID reverse lights (soldered into reverse light harness power and ground. I removed the pigtails so it is straight wire to wire)
-Replaced the rear bulbs with LED's (power and ground orientation is correct)
-LCM5 bypass (had the column lock issue. the recall and a lesser mod was done but stull had the issue displayed)
-Autometer and AEM WB gauges installed. (Autometers have LED's, the switch power was sourced from the pink ignition switch wire and the light wire was sourced per autometer at the back of the cluster using a schematic found here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...schematic.html)
-White face gauges in cluster (worst idea ever, wanted to match the rest of my gauges. no damage was done to the needles or spindles. they were clocked fine upon reinstall)
-Interior lights were all replaced with blue LEDs
-HVAC board has soldered leds (followed instructions found here http://www.spdkilz.com/techtip.html#HVAC. The proper LED's have the resistors soldered in. it was working great in my initial checks).

That sums up the issues. Im sure there is more than one problem going on with all the things installed. Any help or direction to start in would be amazing. Thank you in advance!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I would recommend you systematically start removing all the "stuff' you added to see when you can start clearing up problems. If you get it back to stock and still have problems then we can deal with the situation.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing like throwing all the marbles up in the air at the same time and expecting them to land where you want them to. I agree with the above assessment, back up and start again.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It sounds like you have a grounding issue as one of the main problems. I believe most of the interior grounds are on studs under the kick panels on each side. You might want to start there.

The brake lights could be the hazard switch. Does the 3rd brake light always work?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:13 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Read this thread by someone who worked on the same thing you're seeing for a couple of years. Particularly look to the end for the resolution:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ake-pedal.html
Old 06-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Lucario6613
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I would recommend you systematically start removing all the "stuff' you added to see when you can start clearing up problems. If you get it back to stock and still have problems then we can deal with the situation.
I was hoping to avoid this but I have too many issues not to i guess.

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Nothing like throwing all the marbles up in the air at the same time and expecting them to land where you want them to. I agree with the above assessment, back up and start again.
In any of my builds I have never seen issues like this. Again seems unavoidable not to reverse at this point.

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
WOW!!!!!

Nothing like being a new C5 owner with probably no knowledge of the idiosyncrasies of these cars and ripping the car apart all at once and waiting nearly half a year to start it and see what it does.

I agree with the previous posters. Systematically put it ALL back to original ( but that in it self is going to be an uphill battle) and see if you can at least reduce some of the problems....

Additionally I think it's time to do a lot of reading and note taking from at least the following 2 threads:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...must-read.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...l-in-here.html

Another key issue you should be aware of is the issues a weak or bad battery bring to the table on a C5. I would remove it and put it on a charger or tender while you start reversing the work.

Good Luck!!!
I'm going to buy a new battery as a precaution even though mine it not bad. It was charged and discharged quite a bit through the build to test things as I went so it may not be reaching/maintaining full charge.
Any recommendations on a battery?

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
It sounds like you have a grounding issue as one of the main problems. I believe most of the interior grounds are on studs under the kick panels on each side. You might want to start there.

The brake lights could be the hazard switch. Does the 3rd brake light always work?
I inspected them once but am planning on going over all the grounds again, possibly replacing a few of the straps. I will look into the 3rd brake light. It is very intermittent that the brake lights dont come on so it is hard to diagnose at the moment.

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Read this thread by someone who worked on the same thing you're seeing for a couple of years. Particularly look to the end for the resolution:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ake-pedal.html
I actually read that thread and posted on it before making this current one. My issues are similar but I will be looking into that rear ground pack again tonight. It was tight with no corrosion when I looked before so I will open the cover this time and see if it has corrosion inside.

I appreciate all of the replies!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Nightmare, Help Please

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Nightmare, Help Please