C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1288 - Question About Software Update/Resynch

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Default C1288 - Question About Software Update/Resynch

So our trip to Bloomington Gold started off with the error message Service Active Handling and code C1288. From what I gather I'm in need of a new steering wheel positioning sensor.

I found the following two threads.

This Link talks about a software update that may need to be done. My car falls within the VIN of cars that need the update. I don't know if this was ever done. Is it something I should have checked out and updated or will replacing my SWPS suffice?

This link talks about moving the steering wheel left to right a ton of times to resynch the SWPS. Is this worth a try? It sounds like this would work when the car was new due to excess lubricant but since my car is 13 years old w/86k I'm thinking this probably isn't the case.

What do the experts think? Should I just replace the sensor or are there any simpler solutions to fix this issue?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Sleezy E
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swapped the sensor on mine about 4 weeks ago after repeatedly getting the 1288 code, hasn't come back since!

Quick Reply: C1288 - Question About Software Update/Resynch