C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headache!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:43 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Default LED Headache!!

I just installed new LED bulbs in my tail lights.Park lights work fine but when the brakes are applied,I have lights everywhere!My HVAC,radio,door switches,instrument cluster and who knows what else also lights up.Swapped them back to incadescent bulbs and everything is normal.Tried searching until my eyes crossed without much success.Anyone else ever have this issue?If so,what was the solution,just install regular bulbs??
Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Sounds like your using incompatible LED bulbs. Did you purchase from a forum vendor, contact them to verify you have the correct LEDs.

Post the information on the LED tail lamp bulbs your trying to install.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieo
I just installed new LED bulbs in my tail lights.Park lights work fine but when the brakes are applied,I have lights everywhere!My HVAC,radio,door switches,instrument cluster and who knows what else also lights up.Swapped them back to incadescent bulbs and everything is normal.Tried searching until my eyes crossed without much success.Anyone else ever have this issue?If so,what was the solution,just install regular bulbs??
Did you get and install the switchback?
Old 07-03-2014, 11:10 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

I have switchback LEDs in the running lights and installed standard 3157 LEDs in the tail lights.Going to play with them some more this afternoon to see if I can figure something out.

Last edited by jamieo; 07-03-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:52 PM
ta2amps2
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieo
I have switchback LEDs in the running lights and instaleed standard 3157 LEDs in the tail lights.Going to play with them some more this afternoon to se if I can figure something out.
Check your polarity when you install these. If one or more don't light up, chances are they are installed backwards, remove the light turn it 180 and re install. I had that issue when I installed mine, outside tail lights were installed 180 out of polarity and it did all kinds of strange light blinking when I tried to put on the turn signals. A good way to test is by using the key fob to lock, if any of the lights don't come on, you need to try it the other way.

Hope this helps
Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Sorry to say, I had all kind of lighting/electrical weirdness when I tried LED tail lights. The DIC would dim/bright when brakes applied and other gremlins. Ended up going back to conventional bulbs. Have LED switchbacks for the DRLs and they work great.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:15 PM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had much luck with LEDs either.. .On any vehicle or motorcycle I've owned. Too much headache.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Try removing them one at a time until the problem goes away and then install them one at a time and test it each time. If it acts up again reverse the bulb you just installed.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I hear this happening time and time again. What burns me is vendors that remain vague in their advertising regarding this issue. The ads always say "may require" additional hyperflash harness or resistors. Or the car may "hyperflash" when installing LED's.

The truth is that most, if not all cars will, exhibit some weirdness when installing LEDs. If it's not hyperflashing turn signals, it will be weird behaviour from interior or dash lights. Members usually work it all out on their own using various resistors and hyperflash harness. Sometimes, nothing can be done due to the type of LEDs used.

I came close to upgrading my lighting but once I started reading what can happen, I decided against it. I also found that I was not getting much help from various vendors I had contacted with questions. Again, they would come back with vague responses.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ta2amps2
Check your polarity when you install these. If one or more don't light up, chances are they are installed backwards, remove the light turn it 180 and re install. I had that issue when I installed mine, outside tail lights were installed 180 out of polarity and it did all kinds of strange light blinking when I tried to put on the turn signals. A good way to test is by using the key fob to lock, if any of the lights don't come on, you need to try it the other way.

Hope this helps
seen this before too..... check the polarity and make sure the bulbs are seated ALL the way in the socket
Old 10-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Try removing them one at a time until the problem goes away and then install them one at a time and test it each time. If it acts up again reverse the bulb you just installed.
^^^ ...This... ^^^
Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

I have tried all suggestions.Nothing seemed to help but I did find that I didn't have any issues when I gave the bulbs to a neighbor.Problem solved!!

Get notified of new replies

To LED Headache!!

Quick Reply: LED Headache!!