C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Z06- 60K Miles- What Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 2002 Z06- 60K Miles- What Bushings?

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2002 Z06 with 60,000 miles on the clock.

Which bushings are typically worn out at this point and which bushings might be fine?

I don't want to necessarily replace every single bushing if some of them have some more life in them.

I appreciate any input and advice.

Thanks,

Garrett
Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

OK.

So apparently I asked a dumb question.

Let's try this again.

Does everyone recommend VBP's complete poly kit for the entire suspension?
Old 07-15-2014, 12:35 PM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know but I wish someone would answer. I'm wondering the same thing?
Old 07-17-2014, 01:38 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Eternal Reply dictates "It Depends"...what kind of driving/ride are you looking for? What do the bushings look like now? Are they still centered in their housings, or are the front top bushings pushing out? Are any of them off center?
I"ll go out on the limb and say you are wanting to recapture that "fresh from the factory" ride. So, get another set of OEM's. Want a little less roll in the corners? Poly's. Post some pic's of some of your suspect bushings and we'll talk some more. jhopper408, I'm in your neighborhood, PM me and we can take a look at them over a beer.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Just change them all out. You can get a complete set of Prothane polyurethane bushings for less than 90 bucks on Ebay. That's what I plan to eventually do as a preventive maintenance.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Armycop
The Eternal Reply dictates "It Depends"...what kind of driving/ride are you looking for? What do the bushings look like now? Are they still centered in their housings, or are the front top bushings pushing out? Are any of them off center?
I"ll go out on the limb and say you are wanting to recapture that "fresh from the factory" ride. So, get another set of OEM's. Want a little less roll in the corners? Poly's. Post some pic's of some of your suspect bushings and we'll talk some more. jhopper408, I'm in your neighborhood, PM me and we can take a look at them over a beer.
Thanks. Will do.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Just change them all out. You can get a complete set of Prothane polyurethane bushings for less than 90 bucks on Ebay. That's what I plan to eventually do as a preventive maintenance.
Yes, Prothane are cheap but are they a quality product?

I wouldn't want to save a bit of money on bushings but spend all that time on labor only to have the bushings affect performance or worse fail after a short period of time.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ggroller
Yes, Prothane are cheap but are they a quality product?

I wouldn't want to save a bit of money on bushings but spend all that time on labor only to have the bushings affect performance or worse fail after a short period of time.
Well, they are polyurethane bushings. They will definitely outlast OEM rubber ones! From what I hear, Prothane are leaders in the industry for aftermarket suspension bushings. You can't go wrong.

Company Website:

http://prothane.com/
Old 07-17-2014, 11:11 AM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Great answers everyone thanks! And hey Armycop I sent you a PM let me know if you got it. And yea would love to drink a beer and talk about are beautiful cars !!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:07 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Well, they are polyurethane bushings. They will definitely outlast OEM rubber ones! From what I hear, Prothane are leaders in the industry for aftermarket suspension bushings. You can't go wrong.

Company Website:

http://prothane.com/
they definitely don't

rubber bushings are a press fit and twist under pressure. poly bushings rotate on that center shim. that means all the road grime and crap sandpaper them. a few years back i did a test on an integra i was using for a commuter. installed all energy bushings. the front lower control arms were shot in 40k miles to the point you could pull the tire in and out. rubber goes on average 200k miles in my state

i know states that salt the roads really can destroy bushings but don't believe that crap about poly lasting longer. in the real world of mileage, it doesn't
Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Plus rubber doesn't squeak. Poly's even when properly lubricated as they are installed can squeak like hell. The squeaking reminded me of an older car that hadn't had a grease job in 20 years.

Bill
Old 07-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Well, I guess I'm wrong. Always thought they were superior to rubber in most applications. I do have poly bushings on my swaybars and have never had any problems. Neither noise or wear but, it is a limited application I guess. Suspension control arms are probably a more stressed application.

Are there any members with first hand experience that like poly bushings?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:38 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Well, I guess I'm wrong. Always thought they were superior to rubber in most applications. I do have poly bushings on my swaybars and have never had any problems. Neither noise or wear but, it is a limited application I guess. Suspension control arms are probably a more stressed application.

Are there any members with first hand experience that like poly bushings?
they are fine on sway bars. on that previous honda example i was talking about the sway bar poly bushings were fine after 120k miles and 7 years.

my guess is also what you said, the higher the stress level the more they get hammered. the upper control arms on that car wern't bad but the lowers were SHOT in 40k miles
Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some things you have to consider. I got most of this from others on the site...do a search for the details.

Rubber has more predictable properties for breaking lateral traction. (I think related to a-arms, but may have been sways).

GM designed the car with rubber because rubber is designed to twist. Also the A-arms were designed to twist the rubber. This doesn't occur with poly. There was some downfall to using polly,or Delrin (sp?) for that matter, which changed where the load was being placed. The polly and Delrin bushings were eaten up quickly because of this. (I have wear on some and will have to tackle the A-arm bushing problem soon).

Re: your TT, the couplers are impregnated with some sort of fabric. These are also designed to flex and absorb some of the shock. If you go metal or poly, the flex is removed which puts the shock on the driveshafts, half shafts, trans, dif, or clutch. Which is more expensive to replace? Mine showed significant wear/cracking at 100k.

Trans and engine mounts? I have no opinion since I haven't changed mine or done any research on them. (Well I did change the trans with another rubber one).

Spring bushings...mine showed some wear after 100k. I replaced only the ones with cracks or tears (replaced both sides if one was bad so I changed the suspension the same on each side).

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 Z06- 60K Miles- What Bushings?

Quick Reply: 2002 Z06- 60K Miles- What Bushings?