C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension squeaks with F45 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Suspension squeaks with F45 shocks

I have a 2000 with the older type F45 adjustable shocks and 110,000 miles. The car squeaks a lot when hitting bumps and I have squirted oil on every bushing to no avail. I dismantled and greased the sway bar bushings, again with no improvement. If I set the adjustable shocks to the stiffest setting, most of the squeaking stops. Is this because this reduces suspension motion or is it possible that the shocks themselves are making a noise? Anybody have any experience?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Koiler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issues on my 02. I fixed by installing new z06 shocks, sway bars and bushings along with new end links from Gene Culley.

When I pulled the F45 shocks off the front there was no compression left in them at all. The young literally fell out when unbolted.

You'll need to add simulators or resistors to fool the car into thinking the F45 shocks are still present. Alternatively you can get the code programmed out of the car with someone who has access to a tech 2.

Lots of info in the forum if you do a bit more searching.

Koiler
Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This thread shows how mediocre the search function is. I searched for C5 suspension squeaks. Most of the posts suggested sway bar bushings, which were not the problem. I saw no mention of F45 - I found the connection by trial and error on my car. Now, when I search under "F45, squeaks" , I get a lot of posts that indicate that the F45 is a problem.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Koiler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, the forum search is a bit weak. I always do a Google search with terms like "c5 corvette f45 squeak". Google almost always returns good results.

Lots of folks have replaced their F45 suspension with z06 shocks so there's lots of good information and howto's out there. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension squeaks with F45 shocks

Quick Reply: Suspension squeaks with F45 shocks