C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Tranny Issues...Fix or go aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:17 PM
C5Chad
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch/Tranny Issues...Fix or go aftermarket?

Hey guys, I have a 2003 6-speed Vette with 134k miles on it. For now it just has blackwing intake, B&B cat-back exhaust, MGW short throw shifter and Nitto NT05 tires. Mainly my fun street car but also into drag racing made about 11-12 passes down the track so far. I have a set of ported heads waiting to put on it and saving for a set of long tube catless headers, and next would be a cam for it.

Here is my situation...I havent really felt comfortable driving the car the past few weeks because 1st and 2nd gear would grind going into them. When I first put the short throw shifter in, I knew it wasnt aligned right because it would pop out of 1st and reverse, I adjusted it and the problem stopped until about 2 or a little over 2 weeks later. It started grinding going into 1st and or 2nd gear. If I took it really slow and easy, I could get it to go into gear just fine. But that doesnt quite work for drag racing, etc.

Today I started to flush out the clutch master cylinder and replace it with new Prestone DOT4 brake fluid. Flushed an entire of large bottle through it and still is a little dirty. But 1st gear is no longer grinding, 2nd is still grinding every time unless I go into 2nd slow and easy. Downshifting into 2nd I havent noticed it grind at all.

I know I will eventually want to upgrade to a different clutch. Just not sure whether Im better off taking it to most likely a Chevy dealer, have them look at it. Im not sure if the fluids in the tranny needs changed and the clutch master cylinder needs flushed out more, or if my problem Im having sounds like its the synchros for 2nd gear. If its the synchros im guessing that will be an expensive fix from the dealer and not sure if I would just be better off biting the bullet and jumping the gun and going with a Monster or McLeod clutch.

You guys that have had any similar experience or issues with this have any input? Been going through the situation in my head constantly.

Sorry for the long post
Old 08-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Meta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing to do is change the tranny fluid in the gearbox with some good synthetic- Redline, Amsoil, etc. Do a search on the forum for lots of info on what's best.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Why would you want to go to a STEALERSHIP??

There are PLENTY C5/C6 specialty repair shops to take it to. They will be better trained to do custom / aftermarket work and better to recommend stuff that you will need..

Change out the trans ATF with fresh stuff and see where you stand.

Get that shifter checked out and properly aligned. Its simple. Make sure that the TOP four fasteners are properly tightened.

Bill
Old 08-13-2014, 12:28 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Make sure the shifter to torque tube mounting bushings aren't bad at the same time you re-check the alignment.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:04 AM
C5Chad
Instructor

I'd much rather not take it to the dealer to have them look at it to get fixed. But I'm not too sure of where to take it that I would trust with my car, not that I can really trust the dealership either. For aftermarket stuff I know of a couple places to go, but I don't see them ever doing any kind of just maintenance work.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:01 AM
AWSOME 04
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission

You might consider taking your Vette to Danny Popp at McClusky Chev on Reading Road. He's one of the best Tech's in your area. Just a thought.
Originally Posted by C5Chad
I'd much rather not take it to the dealer to have them look at it to get fixed. But I'm not too sure of where to take it that I would trust with my car, not that I can really trust the dealership either. For aftermarket stuff I know of a couple places to go, but I don't see them ever doing any kind of just maintenance work.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:41 PM
C5Chad
Instructor

Originally Posted by AWSOME 04
You might consider taking your Vette to Danny Popp at McClusky Chev on Reading Road. He's one of the best Tech's in your area. Just a thought.
Yeah I know of him, I didn't know he worked there. I'll look into doing that I think first. Think I'm prolly just gonna upgrade the clutch in the end most likely

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch/Tranny Issues...Fix or go aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Clutch/Tranny Issues...Fix or go aftermarket?