C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 c5z pulsing vibration at 40mph+

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 AM
StayClassy94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 c5z pulsing vibration at 40mph+

How's it going guys?

2 months ago I bought a 2001 c5 z06. Some details about the car:
- 1 owner prior to me
- 50,xxx mile car
- UBBER clean and very well taken care of.

So here's the problem, about a month and a half ago the car had developed a "pulsing vibration" in the floorboard, steering wheel, and seat. It can be heard throughout the car also. It starts at 40mph EXACTLY and continues all the way up from there. It's at it's worse point at 40mph though,(Felt and heard most).

So far, the car is stock and on stock wheels.

Tires:
- Fronts 275/45/r17 Potenzas
- Rear 295/35/r18 Potenzas
Both in brand new condition.

I have lowered the car since buying it but have had it aligned, TWICE! Haha. I have also had the tires checked, and balanced, TWICE! Haha.

The vibration did NOT go away at all by doing the two.

Have had it at the shop but they have no idea what's going on with it.

My guess is wheel bearing, but being my first Vette I have no idea. It's so much different than my EVO and other cars drivelines and such.

The reason I think it's wheel bearing is because when I'm drving down the road, at 40mph+, and it starts to develop, I can turn the wheel to the right and it instantly goes away. If I turn to the left, it gets slightly worse. Going straight it's a constant pulsing vibration that's frustrating as all hell!

So I think it's passenger front WB because when I turn to the right it relieves the pressure from that tire. But that's just my $0.02

Only other weird thing the car does is when I shut it off, it should like the tranny or motor kind of shakes beneath me, so I don't know if a bad motor mount could cause such an issue.

So please, I know it's a lot of reading, and I was trying to be as informative as possible, but I would like to get some more educated Vette owners opinions before throwing money at it!
Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 AM
StayClassy94
Instructor

Bump.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:38 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Assuming you've checked the lug nuts, a way to check a wheel bearing is to put the wheel and tire in the air off the ground and grab the tire with your hands at opposite sides and see if you can get movement.

Could also be an internal tire separation of tread belts causing it. It happens. Hard to see but with the tire in the air you can rotate it and see if you notice anything.

Also you could have lost some wheel/tire weights.

Last edited by dadaroo; 08-15-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM
StayClassy94
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Assuming you've checked the lug nuts, a way to check a wheel bearing is to put the wheel and tire in the air off the ground and grab the tire with your hands at opposite sides and see if you can get movement.

Could also be an internal tire separation of tread belts causing it. It happens. Hard to see but with the tire in the air you can rotate it and see if you notice anything.

Also you could have lost some wheel/tire weights.
Yes lug nuts, tires and weights have all been checked. Like I said, been balanced multiple times now and the tires are literally BRAND NEW haha. I did do the wheel bearing "test" but didn't seem to feel much, just stumped because it has to be in the steering/suspension/wheels tires if it goes away upon turning.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:43 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Mine has had that for years. Just rode in a stock c6z yesterday and it was doing the same thing. This wasn't until about 85mph though.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 PM
StayClassy94
Instructor

Bump.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 PM
HmnRcn
Instructor

I know you already checked, but I had the same issue and my wheel was out of balance.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:15 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the exact same issue you have. I raised the front passenger side tire off the ground, grabbed the tire at 3 and 9 position, and at the 12 and 6 position and pushed/pulled like crazy, wheel/tire didn't budge. I even placed a pry bar underneath the tire at an angle and pried up, lowered down, etc., nothing seemed loose. So at that point, didn't think it was a bearing. I had another member PM me and suggested it was the bearing even tho I could not find anything obvious with my testing. So, I bit the bullet and replaced the front right wheel bearing myself, problem was solved! I hope this fixes your problem too! Good luck!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:27 PM
jph1972
Instructor

I have the same problem except I get the pulsing vibration at 60 mpg. I was going to have the tires balanced just in case but I suspect it is the wheel bearing as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 AM
StayClassy94
Instructor

Awesome! Thanks for all the insight guys! I will probably just buy a wheel bearing in hopes that from there on out it'll be fixed! Haha *Fingers crossed*.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:00 PM
StayClassy94
Instructor

Bump! Have taken to multiple tire/suspension shops and most can't seem to find squat. I have notice that if I turn my wheel (full lock) to the left then there's a loud screeching noise coming from the front passenger side. Sounds like a squeaky brake!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:40 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003RedVette
I had the exact same issue you have. I raised the front passenger side tire off the ground, grabbed the tire at 3 and 9 position, and at the 12 and 6 position and pushed/pulled like crazy, wheel/tire didn't budge. I even placed a pry bar underneath the tire at an angle and pried up, lowered down, etc., nothing seemed loose. So at that point, didn't think it was a bearing. I had another member PM me and suggested it was the bearing even tho I could not find anything obvious with my testing. So, I bit the bullet and replaced the front right wheel bearing myself, problem was solved! I hope this fixes your problem too! Good luck!

Pull the tire and caliper and spin it by hand. You can hear and feel it if its bad. Sometimes the tire doesn't move.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:27 PM
jph1972
Instructor

Ended up being a bad tire for me. I took the car to several tire places and they always told me it was fine. I ended up stopping by the dealer and asked them to balance the tires and sure enough they could not get one to balance correctly, replaced the tire and problem went away.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:48 PM
radracr
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StayClassy94
Awesome! Thanks for all the insight guys! I will probably just buy a wheel bearing in hopes that from there on out it'll be fixed! Haha *Fingers crossed*.
Did you ever replace the wheel bearing back in August? I have the same issue I believe, except mine is at around 80mph. Fairly sure its either a tire or wheel bearing. I also have new tires so I'm leaning towards a wheel bearing. I think I can eliminate the driveline because pressing the clutch in does not make the noise stop.

Last edited by radracr; 10-14-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by StayClassy94
Bump! Have taken to multiple tire/suspension shops and most can't seem to find squat. I have notice that if I turn my wheel (full lock) to the left then there's a loud screeching noise coming from the front passenger side. Sounds like a squeaky brake!
They should all be fired! From what you describe, you have a bad wheel/hub bearing. Easy to verify on a lift. The rears - just run it in gear at 40 mph and listen with a stethoscope. It's clear as day. The fronts - do as described above. Take off the wheel, caliper, bracket and rotor. Turn the hub by hand. You will feel and/or hear it.
Do not guess
Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Use a couple of lug nuts to secure the rotor and you will not have to remove the bracket to test. Sometimes the bracket can be a pain.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 AM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You're on the right track with the wheel bearing, but to answer your second question, the rattle type noise under neath you when you turn the car off is normal. It's the pilot bearing. If you hold the clutch down when you turn the car off the noise should go away. Tons of threads on it, no issue or problems. Just an annoying noise. I've gotten so used to holding the clutch in when turning the car off that I don't even think about it.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 c5z pulsing vibration at 40mph+

Quick Reply: 2001 c5z pulsing vibration at 40mph+